Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/20/2013 10:08:44 PM EDT
just started my first build and i have a question about the takedown pin. i have my upper all assembled and just got my LPK friday so i figured i'd test fit my pins. the pivot pin fits nice and snug in the upper, but the takedown pin is loose, like a lot. is it supposed to be that way or did i get a blem? BTW it's a spikes upper with keyhole forging mark.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 1:55:01 AM EDT
Have you put the detent springs and detents in yet?They might tighten up once they are in.The springs mad detents will put a little pressure and tighten them up a little.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:12:27 AM EDT
Are you noticing this snug/loose thin with the pins through BOTH upper and lower at the same time, as in with the upper on the lower? And if you haven't installed the detents yet, see if the takedown pin is as loose in the pivot lugs as it seems in the takedown lugs.

Assuming a brand new upper and brand new lower, an in-spec takedown pin should feel pretty snug all by itself when installed through both the upper and lower takedown pin holes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:51:29 AM EDT
still waiting on my lower to come in so i cant test it with both.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:30:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2013 5:35:25 AM EDT by eye_spy]
Wait for your lower before you fit or test fit the pins ... test fitting them on the upper alone will not tell you anything IMO. You need both upper and lower to really know if everything is good to go.

The fit of your take down pin may be loose on your upper alone, but when slid through both the holes of your upper and lower, it may now have a snug fit because of the alignment of the holes of the upper with the lower.

ETA: I have never really test fitted a takedown pin on an upper alone ... that being said, come to think of it ... i have never encountered an instance where the takedown pin runs tight even when i have suceeded in pushing it clear the left side of a lower receiver. It usually (from my experience) slides freely through the uppers hole.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:04:15 PM EDT
hmm. well i guess i'm gonna have to wait until the lower gets here next week. i'll update what i find. thanx guys.
Top Top