Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/14/2005 4:33:43 PM EDT
First off I would like to say thanks for the great wealth of information shared on this forum.. I have been a sleeper for a few months just browsing the threads obtaining info to move forward with building my first black rifle...

So for my first build I have put together the following list (is there anything missing besides upper and scope?):

StagArms Stripped Lower Reciever - $84.00

Busmaster Complete Lower Parts Kit - $64.95

Bushmaster Two Stage Competition Trigger - $119.95

Fiberite Six Position Telescoping Stock Assembly - $99.95

First Samco AR15 Tactical Grip - $23.99

I am confused about the Uppers, don't know which one to choose.. So I am looking for a few recommendations, my main use of the black rifle would be for target practice at the range (200meter - 300yard distances)....  What type scope/sight would be appropriate for these distances?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Happy Holidays!!

-WuMagic
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#1]
First, that stock seems WAY too expensive.

Why not go with a RRA M4 stock? Bravocompanyusa.com has them for $65.99 with buffer and spring.

Seoncond, if you are going with a two stage trigger and a samco grip, then you may want to just buy the other lower parts separately. If you buy the LPK you are going to be paying for parts you don't use. If you aren't sure exactly what you need, then reply and I am sure one of us can post a itemized list of the small parts.

Since you don't have a barrel listed, I am guessing that you are looking for a complete upper assembly. If you don't have any tactical purpose in mind, then I would go with a 20" heavy barrel with a flattop receiver. If you are wanting to work on pure marksmanship, then you can't go wrong with a standard carrying handle with the A2 sight. The peep will force you to use the fundamentals. The flat top will allow you to add optics later if you want to work with them.

If you want something a bit lighter to carry, then I suggest a standard 20" Gov't profile, or even a 16". I have a Bushmaster 20" heavy barrel on my precision rifle, and I don't think I would like to have to stand a post with it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#2]
WELCOME TO THE SITE
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
First, that stock seems WAY too expensive.

Why not go with a RRA M4 stock? Bravocompanyusa.com has them for $65.99 with buffer and spring.

Thanks for the link, I will definitely go with the RRA M4 stock..

Seoncond, if you are going with a two stage trigger and a samco grip, then you may want to just buy the other lower parts separately. If you buy the LPK you are going to be paying for parts you don't use. If you aren't sure exactly what you need, then reply and I am sure one of us can post a itemized list of the small parts.

I am not exactly sure what parts I will need, so if you could post a itemized list that would be greatly appreciated.

Since you don't have a barrel listed, I am guessing that you are looking for a complete upper assembly. If you don't have any tactical purpose in mind, then I would go with a 20" heavy barrel with a flattop receiver. If you are wanting to work on pure marksmanship, then you can't go wrong with a standard carrying handle with the A2 sight. The peep will force you to use the fundamentals. The flat top will allow you to add optics later if you want to work with them.

I am open to either a complete upper assembly or putting it together piece by piece.. Any suggestions, build upper or buy complete? I would ultimately like to put as much of the rifle together that I can... I would also need a itemized list for the upper parts... I  want to add optics eventually, once I am aquainted with the handling and functionality of the rifle..

Thanks again for your help!

-WuMagic
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Putting the upper together will require some special tools which might increase the cost of the project.  Better to do a complete upper assembly for a first build IMO.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Putting the upper together will require some special tools which might increase the cost of the project.  Better to do a complete upper assembly for a first build IMO.

+1
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Good to know, I wasnt sure if that was the case or not but I had a hunch.... Thanks for confirming that!!!

-Wumagic
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Can some one list the lower parts that I will need??

Thanks!!

-WuMagic
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#8]
What special tools do you have to have to complete an upper from scratch. I would like to build the upper to if possible without too much heartache.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I would skip the Bushmaster LPK.  Way overpriced.  I would go with a Stag or RRA kit from Adco or Bravo Company.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would skip the Bushmaster LPK.  Way overpriced.  I would go with a Stag or RRA kit from Adco or Bravo Company.  

Purchase the whole kit or purchase the individual small parts needed?

-WuMagic
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd buy the whole kit. You can put that extra trigger to use on your next build.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Any suggested source for parts?

Thanks!

-WuMagic
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#14]
eaglefirearms.net
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#15]
+1 for eagle firearms....I  just got my first lower this afternoon...a stag complete no butt stock$145. ordered on wednesday and it came today.
jim
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I always found proper headspacing to be a royal PITA.  As a result, I became lazy and started purchasing complete uppers for my ARs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the great info everybody!! I will be placing my order first thing monday morning :-P

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

-WuMagic
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Another thing I am a little confused about is the trigger parts....

Is it necessary to order a seperate trigger assembly, or does it come included in the lower parts kit?

Thanks!!

-WuMagic
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Another thing I am a little confused about is the trigger parts....

Is it necessary to order a seperate trigger assembly, or does it come included in the lower parts kit?

Thanks!!

-WuMagic

the lower parts kit is exactly that, everything needed for to assemble the lower.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
the lower parts kit is exactly that, everything needed for to assemble the lower.

Excellent! I thought so, but wasnt sure......

Ready to place my order, will be sure to post pictures once my first build is complete :-)

Cheers!

-WuMagic
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#21]
www.rbprecision.com/id14_rb_lower_parts_kits__49_00.htm
Email these guys. They will send you a parts kit with all the sub assemblies assembled.
You can even spec. the parts you want, they will remove the stock parts and send you just what you need.
No guessing if this spring goes here or there. Good people, Regulars dealers on this site.

ETA they have some slight blemished Superior arms lowers for sale right now for $75
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top