Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/24/2014 9:39:43 AM EDT
Hi, guys, I'm new here and I want to get my first AR, and I was thinking of building it. I watched a few videos on YouTube and it looks like something I could do. But I don't know what are some good parts. I don't want to spend a fortune this being my fist AR, but I don't want something that is cheap and makes me regret getting it.

Here is what I was thinking of getting for my Lower.

Receiver
LPK

I don't have a stock or buffer tube picked out yet. Any recommendations? I would like to have a Six Position Stock. I have one of those on my .22LR and I really like it.

I picked these parts because they are in my price range and from what I found online they seem to be good parts.

As for the upper. I don't know if I want to build one or buy one. I do have a question though. I read that if you have an AR that can shot 5.56 it can also shoot .223. But it won't work the other way around.  Is this true? Because I would like to be able to shoot both 5.56 and .223.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Those look like good picks for lower parts.

Since you already found PSA, I would recommend looking on there for a stock. They sell complete assemblies that have the extension, buffer, action spring, castle nut, end plate, and stock all included for a fair price; they just take forever to ship.

I would recommend getting a prebuilt upper as that eliminates the need to build and barrel the upper receiver. But that in itself is not all that hard to do. Either way, you can still change out handguards and customize it to your liking.

My recommendation for chambering is to go with the 5.56. They are built to take the higher pressures exerted by the 5.56 and can fire both 5.56 and .223 safely. The throat of the chamber is also longer in 5.56 so that it can take the heavier 72 grain loads with out the bullet touching the rifling prior to firing. There is also a .223 Wylde chamber that was made to get the most out of match ammo. Incidentally, it is also strong enough to handle 5.56 just like a true 5.56 chamber.

What ever you do, do not put large amounts of 5.56 through a .223 chamber. That will lead to barrel and chamber damage as it was not designed to take those pressures.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#2]
That lower is fine for the money.

If you decide on building your own upper then DOA Arms has precision Upper & lower sets for $115. Here

You can shoot 223 in a 556 chamber. Only certain loads don't do well in a 223 rem. chamber. A 223 wylde will shoot anything.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. And suggestions for an Upper? Can be Pre-built or one that you build your self.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Hi, guys, I'm new here and I want to get my first AR, and I was thinking of building it. I watched a few videos on YouTube and it looks like something I could do. But I don't know what are some good parts. I don't want to spend a fortune this being my fist AR, but I don't want something that is cheap and makes me regret getting it.

Here is what I was thinking of getting for my Lower.

Receiver

LPK

I don't have a stock or buffer tube picked out yet. Any recommendations? I would like to have a Six Position Stock. I have one of those on my .22LR and I really like it.

I picked these parts because they are in my price range and from what I found online they seem to be good parts.

As for the upper. I don't know if I want to build one or buy one. I do have a question though. I read that if you have an AR that can shot 5.56 it can also shoot .223. But it won't work the other way around.  Is this true? Because I would like to be able to shoot both 5.56 and .223.
View Quote
I bought the same lower and am going to pick it up tonight from my FFL. It was $49.99 last week for Easter.

If you are piecing it together then that's not bad. However, most kits you purchase come with the lower parts kit.

Del-ton has a nice one with the stock you are referring to for $490 http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt101.htm and it is a 5.56

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those look like good picks for lower parts.

Since you already found PSA, I would recommend looking on there for a stock. They sell complete assemblies that have the extension, buffer, action spring, castle nut, end plate, and stock all included for a fair price; they just take forever to ship.

I would recommend getting a prebuilt upper as that eliminates the need to build and barrel the upper receiver. But that in itself is not all that hard to do. Either way, you can still change out handguards and customize it to your liking.

My recommendation for chambering is to go with the 5.56. They are built to take the higher pressures exerted by the 5.56 and can fire both 5.56 and .223 safely. The throat of the chamber is also longer in 5.56 so that it can take the heavier 72 grain loads with out the bullet touching the rifling prior to firing. There is also a .223 Wylde chamber that was made to get the most out of match ammo. Incidentally, it is also strong enough to handle 5.56 just like a true 5.56 chamber.

What ever you do, do not put large amounts of 5.56 through a .223 chamber. That will lead to barrel and chamber damage as it was not designed to take those pressures.
View Quote

Get a build kit from PSA like this guy says.  It comes with everything you need, with some upgraded furniture, for a very friendly price.  Plus, you'll save on shipping doing it all at once (particularly now that PSA is doing their free shipping with $100 orders).

HERE is a full list of their lower build kits.  THIS one and THIS one are the best deals right now, if you can stand OD or FDE.  The B5 one comes with a QD back plate, which is nice addition to the total package.

As a solid consolation prize, buy one of THESE while you're at it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the links. So you guys recommend I just stick with getting all the lower parts from PSA?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
 don't want to spend a fortune this being my fist AR, but I don't want something that is cheap and makes me regret getting it.
View Quote

The price might be somewhat of a wash after its all done, but I definitely believe you will end up with a MUCH higher quality rifle for the same price.
Build the whole thing. Upper and Lower. Its really not that hard and we are here to support you and more importantly enable you more :)

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The price might be somewhat of a wash after its all done, but I definitely believe you will end up with a MUCH higher quality rifle for the same price.
Build the whole thing. Upper and Lower. Its really not that hard and we are here to support you and more importantly enable you more :)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 don't want to spend a fortune this being my fist AR, but I don't want something that is cheap and makes me regret getting it.

Thanks. So far I've got some good recommendations for some lowers. Now I just need some recommendations for an upper.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks. So far I've got some good recommendations for some lowers. Now I just need some recommendations for an upper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The link I provided was for lowers & uppers to build from Aero Precision.  Non - blems for what you will spend on blems from PSA.

Get a LBK with stock kit & a upper door & forward assist.

If you are going free floating rail then some of those come with barrel nuts.

Barrels can be had for about $100 on up. $200 barrel from ARP could shoot better than you could more than likely.

Then you need a gas block & tube. Less than $70 there for reasonable quality parts. Even adjustable if you want.

If you go on the cheaper end then This upper will get you shooting.

If you want middle of the road the Here is an upper in their premium line for a little more.

OR

Another Option in MOE

Now if you just want to browse what they have then Go Here
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. And suggestions for an Upper? Can be Pre-built or one that you build your self.
View Quote

It's probably cheaper to get a pre-built upper, but a lot more fun to build it yourself. Plus you can make it exactly the way you want.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the info. I think I might get a complete upper, only because I don't have the tools to properly build one. But in the mean time, does anyone know of any reputable FFL dealers in Howell Michigan?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top