Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 4:53:04 AM EDT
Good morning guys, this is my first post here so I guess I'm a FNG. I've been reading for about a month now and soaking in everything I could. I have figured out the configuration that i think I'll be happy with, but I'm suffering from sticker shock. Here's what I'm looking at:

RRA CAR A4 Middy upper complete w/ chrome lined bbl
DD or Larue 9.0 rail
PRI or GG& G gas block / FUFS
ARMS #40 BUIS
Phantom 5C2 FH

RRA National Match lower w/ 2 stg trigger
Magpul 93B
w/ strike plate & enhanced trigger guard
Magpul single point sling adapter
Tango Down Battelgrip

Bottom line, I'm staring $1500 - $1600 in the face at a minimum. Any way to get equal quality for less? I have seen some guys brag about how inexpensive thier builds are. I'm wondering if I can do this for any less. If not bring on the BRD.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:56:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I would try shopping the EE. you can pick up many of those parts used for a bit cheaper.

Gene

oh, and welcome to the board and don't forget to post pics.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:18:40 AM EDT
[#2]
That would be a sweet setup, but good luck finding a RRA A-4 middy in stock.. I tried a bunch of dealers about two weeks ago and it was going to be a 6-10 week wait.. I ended up buying a Car=A4.
why dont you just build the base gun for now and then put different parts on when funds allow it.?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:22:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like your making a custom built AR.
Why not just buy the pieces instead of complete upper.

Individual parts, upper, lower, LPK, 2-stage, will cost you less then buying it complete only to tear it down and build it back up.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:27:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Many of us can’t afford the rifles we want right off the bat. Buy a basic rifle, practice with it as is, then save up for future modifications. My M4 carbine has been in a constant state of evolving since I first purchased it 5 years ago. It’s just now to the point where I originally wanted it.

And once you get your first rifle where you want it, you’ll start looking at building another!

We call it “Black Rifle Syndrome!”
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sounds like your making a custom built AR.
Why not just buy the pieces instead of complete upper.

Individual parts, upper, lower, LPK, 2-stage, will cost you less then buying it complete only to tear it down and build it back up.

Well,  I looked at doing that for the lower at a couple of dealer sites. The parts ended up costing more that buying them already assembled. (lower w/ parts only, no stock, etc.) The upper was the same deal, the cost of the pieces was more than a complete upper w/o the extras. (just upper, bbl, BCG & CH)

This will be a semi custom deal with the dealer adding the accessories. I don't really consider it a true custom since the barrell is stock RRA. From what I can tell, that might run an extra $200 or so. I figured I'd wait on a barrell upgrade since I'm not looking for match accuarcy, but hopefully MOA.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:36:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Many of us can’t afford the rifles we want right off the bat. Buy a basic rifle, practice with it as is, then save up for future modifications. My M4 carbine has been in a constant state of evolving since I first purchased it 5 years ago. It’s just now to the point where I originally wanted it.

And once you get your first rifle where you want it, you’ll start looking at building another!

We call it “Black Rifle Syndrome!”

I know what you mean, I've thought about that too. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if I can get what I want for a little less or am I going to have to make a hard choice between wants & needs. You know what they say.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I went with an RRA middy with the Yankee Hill free float forend (say that three times fast!).
I'm sure there is a reason that the  DD and Larue forend is worth twice the price but I don't see it.  

I bought the upper first and then the lower a few pay periods later.  Upper took three weeks and the lower one week.  

I then bought all of the other junk, er. . . essential items one by one.

You might also want to wait on the Magpul stock.  They are phasing the M93 out and replacing it with a newer one.  Check out the Magpul Industry site for details.

Good luck on your new rifle.  It is fun to put it together just the way you want it, but it is expensive no matter how you do it.  Quality and reliability always is.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:24:06 AM EDT
[#8]
To tell you the truth, I've been keeping up with the UBR  / 93B replacement. I think I like the 93B better and figured I better get one before supply dries up. Besides, the UBR isn't ready yet. That CTR is SWEEEET though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I went with the CAR stock and am going to wait for the UBR instead of the M93.  

The M93 is, like, soooooo last week!  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yeah, I went with the CAR stock and am going to wait for the UBR instead of the M93.  

The M93 is, like, soooooo last week!  

yeah the UBR is on my wish list!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The M93 is, like, soooooo last week!  hr

I forgot, it must be the newest to be the best!hey If I deceide later that I can't live without the UBR, I'll trade it in. Magpul rocks for that one!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:28:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I would have to agree with Quib, once you get every bell and whistle you have been dreaming about and your project is totally the way you want it, and you are finally satisfied you just start thinking now I need one in this other configuration. I have invested well over 2,000 in one of my M4s and now all I can think about is getting an SP1!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top