Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2005 12:52:58 PM EDT
Took my first AR shooting today.  The muzzle crown appears to have caked deposits on it and I can't clean it off using a terry cloth and Breakfree/CLP.

How should I clean this off?

Thanks,

John
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#1]
is the muzzel clean or does it have a device on the end?

the ones that have a muzzel device i just use a q-tip soaked with fp-10 what comes off comes off.

On the clean barrels I never noticed any build up.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#2]
It has a regular A2 flash suppressor on it.  Kind of wierd.  Didn't expect any type of hard-to-remove build up from a flash hider.

I've been soaking the crown in CLP for six hours and it still doesn't come off.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
unless you use something like slip 2000 parts dip, it will not come off easy.  Use nothing harder than a patch to try and remove it if it botthers you.

The crown is one place dental tools (or any metal pick) has no place being near.

CLP will not remove the carbon build up you need something stronger.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Gregory.  How about a small, brass bristle brush?  I guess maybe that would damage the crown?

Is this normal from just using a flash suppressor?  I shot a few rounds through a suppressor someone had and maybe the carbonized deposits are from blow-back from the blast baffle in the suppressor?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:35:41 AM EDT
[#5]
i have never experience any ill effects from just leaving it there
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:04:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Get an old broken drill bit and scrape it off there!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:02:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

or use a die grinder if you're lazy
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:08:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#9]
use of those tools you would be better serverd using an AK.

I would not recomend Mark's cleaning method.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#10]

No matter how flagrantly sarcastic of a reply I make, someone always thinks it's serious.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No matter how flagrantly sarcastic of a reply I make, someone always thinks it's serious.

so, you were kidding

does anyone know how bad a broken drill bit scraped against the crown will effect my accuracy with wolf ammo?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#12]
We have members on this board who have tried to assemble a upper reciver by using there legs as a vise.

Some nut would try it.

the die grinder idea may work if a cotton buffing pad is used.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#13]
BreakFree Powder Blast.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#14]
anything that won't come off with a once over with CLP and a rag and Q-tips should be left on it
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#15]
(sarcasm mode on) Use a belt sander! That'll take that crap off! (sarcasm mode off)

If the crud builds up enough to get in the way of a bullet, it won't stay there. I don't worry too much about any muzzle crusties that the bore brush and patches don't clear. OTOH, I don't have a sergeant inspecting my rifle with a white glove. As long as the rifle works and isn't corroding it's ok. BSW
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so, you were kidding

does anyone know how bad a broken drill bit scraped against the crown will effect my accuracy with wolf ammo?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Carbon can really build up under the fllash supr. I just use a bore brush dipped in Hoppes#9, and scrub bulk of it off. Then clean with toothbrush and CLP. Looks like new when finished! And does not harm crown.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Has anyone ever experienced molten copper caked up on the crown?  I had lots of it, I mean it changed the visual profile of my muzzle.  I think it was throwing my accuracy off because one side was quite a bit higher than the other, it was like a mountain range.  I soaked it in breakfree carbon cutter (which actually works quite well on copper) for a while.  Could not get it off, although I got some spectacular hues of sapphire  

Ended up VERY carefully scraping/flaking it off with dental tools

It is perfectly clean and there are no scratches
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#20]
This is a "no shit" story from my Army days.

I was doing a final turn-in on my M16A2 and the Supply Sergeant looked into the flash hider and told me there was a bunch of carbon up in there.  I asked exactly what she was talking about, so she showed me the black on the muzzle crown.

I asked how to clean it off and she told me to take one length of a cleaning rod and scrape it around in there until bare metal was showing.

It was my final turn-in and I couldn't outprocess until it was done, so I did it, but it's something to think about if you ever go to buy "used" military surplus uppers.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Easiest by far is an Arc Gouger

or just an old toothbrush and a little attention
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:33:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Has anyone ever experienced molten copper caked up on the crown?  I had lots of it, I mean it changed the visual profile of my muzzle.  I think it was throwing my accuracy off because one side was quite a bit higher than the other, it was like a mountain range.  I soaked it in breakfree carbon cutter (which actually works quite well on copper) for a while.  Could not get it off, although I got some spectacular hues of sapphire  

Ended up VERY carefully scraping/flaking it off with dental tools

It is perfectly clean and there are no scratches

I have an old brass punch that's tip has "mushroomed" that I keep for just this type of occasion.

I've never had to use it on copper before, but it works great at getting off blasted on lead around the cylinder gap on revolvers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so, you were kidding

does anyone know how bad a broken drill bit scraped against the crown will effect my
accuracy with wolf ammo?

Crap, I wish I would have known you were joking...  I used a new 1/4" drill bit (not a broken one) and it came right off at about 600 rpm's.

ETA:  It only effected my accuracy when I went to a shorter barrel...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just screwed up my muzzle crown when I was using a old broken drill bit mounted in a die grinder to get excess carbon off the end of my barrel. What kind of advice are you hand out here?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Why will using picks to scrape the buildup off hurt the gun?  The buildup that i see is in the corrner inside the flash hider...I cant see using picks in the corrner huring anything...I could see if you screwed up and scratched inside the bbl...so whats the deal?  Why will it hurt it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I use the ends of the wooden stick-type Q-tips with some Hoppe's Elite gun cleaner.  That stuff never comes completely off.  Just get it away from the crown.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top