Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2003 11:21:17 PM EDT
Hello all

After lurking here for well over a year, I finally took the plunge and built my first AR.  The diagrams, directions, and discussions here on AR-15.com were invaluable during the decision making and building process.  A big THANK YOU to everyone.

I was originally planning on documenting my build by posting updates to the Long Arms forum at www.1911forum.com, but the write-up soon took on a life of it's own and became a website.  If you're interested, the site is here:

www.pawlowski.cc/kermit/shooting.htm

Once again, thank you to everyone here at the web's premier AR-15 resource.  

Len in Phoenix

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice write-up, Len.

One is never enough.  Kits are addictive because you can buy the parts as you have the money for them.

A have a couple in the safe that magically appeared out of kits and parts and such...  at least that is what I tell my wife.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife wants to know how it is Im building a third AR when I only had one a few monthes ago.Parts dont look like a gun do they..LOL [:D]
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#4]
If the mag in your "first range trip" picture is one of those, I'd suggest passing on future purchases. Most of us walk right by the guy selling those mags- the ones with 1/2" "inspection holes" drilled through the postban date codes..
View Quote

Lovely.  Sounds like it's time to edit the site and "properly dispose of" those magazines.  I don't remember seeing that in any of the magazine FAQ's I read......did I miss it or does it need to be added?  I don't suppose the BATF gives much credit for a 'good faith' purchase, do they?

Thanks for the heads up.  

Len
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:14:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice website, kermit.

Also, welcome to the addiction.  I will venture a guess you'll end up with a 16" flattop in the near future.  That was my progression anyway.  I got my first AR, a 20" Bushmaster A2 HBAR, in August of 2002.  I then got a Bushmaster 16" A3 upper and built an Eagle Arms lower.

Somewhere down the road I decided a RRA Varmint upper was needed, so I built a RRA lower with a Jewell trigger and ordered the RRA upper.  Well, the upper isn't here yet and having a lower with no upper in the safe was killing me.  So I bought an A3 RRA upper with a 20" government profile Bushmaster barrel.

I imagine as soon as the RRA upper gets here I'll end up building yet another lower.

Are you seeing a pattern here?  These things are worse than crack.  [:D]

Again, nice site and thanks for sharing your experience.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:45:57 AM EDT
[#6]
nice web site, good write up. The AR you built was cheaper then if you bought one and you got the experiance of doing it yourself. Very cool!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top