Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/19/2006 8:20:35 PM EDT
Well, my buddy got me into the AR scene just 2 months ago, and here's what I've managed to slap together.  

Tell me what you think, and be honest.

Numero uno:
http://www.hunt101.com/img/367680.JPG

Numero dos:
http://www.hunt101.com/img/367683.JPG

Bushmaster 16" w/A2 flash supressor

A.R.M.S. SIR #50 (military version)
Eotech 552 (AA version)
Surefire M910A vertical grip light
A.R.M.S. #40L rear site
Hogue grip
Magpull- fat finger  trigger guard
Redimag Generation II
Daniel's Defense Single Point Sling w/quick detach
and lastly 30 rounders with magpull followers

How's it look?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice rifle. Is it hbar or LW under the handgaurds? GLOCK 19? 23?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it.  I'm not big on those extra mag thingy's but the rest is sweet.  I like the arms stuff.  Looks like you need to burn that wolf up quick.  Have you shot it yet???
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Nice rifle. Is it hbar or LW under the handgaurds? GLOCK 19? 23?

It's Hbar and the Glock's a 23.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I like it.  I'm not big on those extra mag thingy's but the rest is sweet.  I like the arms stuff.  Looks like you need to burn that wolf up quick.  Have you shot it yet???

I'm going to go light up all that Wolf this Sunday, hasn't been shot yet, it's just been staring at me for the last 2 months.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice setup.  The only thing I see is your rear sight.  You've got your swan sleeve on top of the SIR which puts the rear sight waaaaay too high.  Creates issues with cheek weld, and, more importantly, sighting in.  I honestly don't see how you zeroed your weapon with that setup.  What you need is an ARMS 40 folding rear sight.  Other than that, everything looks really good.  You've got your mags together and good choice on pistol as well.  Now practice and maybe even take a class or two to learn how to effectively use your tools.

ETA;  after reading your edit, I see that its not a swan sleeve, but that you've got your sight mounted on top of the SIR.  Just move the 40L back down to the reciever and you'll be good to go
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I noticed the rear site was too high when looking through it.  I'm going to have to try and move it back.  It hasn't been sighted in yet, but the rear peep is setting way higher than the Eotech reticle.  Thanks for the advice.

That is the ARMS 40L.   I was told by several armorers to go with that one instead of the regular 40.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Sweet and in 2 months you have acquired more mags than I have in 2 years. I think I need to buy more mags.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#8]
What is that behind your castle nut on your buffer tube?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#9]
In my honest opinion that is EXACTLY what I want to do minus the stock. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=263554
the new mmagpul would make that thing perfect. Nice rifle. I like the G23 also.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What is that behind your castle nut on your buffer tube?

It's the mount for the air tank- can't shoot paint with out the air.  Naah, just kidding, it's a Daniels Defense ambidextrious single point sling.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks good except the Eotech looks like it is too far forward, and you need a PRI Big Latch
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
In my honest opinion that is EXACTLY what I want to do minus the stock. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=263554
the new mmagpul would make that thing perfect. Nice rifle. I like the G23 also.

Yeah, I'm working on a new stock, I've managed to just about break my bank with this one and can't decide on the VLTOR or the Magpull stock, any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#13]
looks damn nice. I wish mine was like that
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#14]
For a carbine my vote would go to the VLtor, but IMHO that's not an immediately necessary change.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Looks good except the Eotech looks like it is too far forward, and you need a PRI Big Latch

The Eotech HAS to be that far foward on a SIR. It's the only way it'll work. The 50 bilevel is the way to go if you want a SIR and an Eotech. The reason is the height of the Eotech was designed for it to mount directly to the upper reciever, but the SIR provides a continuous rail on top of the upper reciever thus making the Eotech too high unless mounted as Hemi has his.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Wait Wait Wait.  Cease Fire.  Am I reading this correctly??  This is your FIRST AR??  You've never had an AR b4 this 1???  And your buddy JUST GOT you into the AR scene 2  MONTHS AGO?????  Ok now I am not only jealous but WTF???  Someone makes some good money thats for sure.  Congrats.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#17]

very nice setup!

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Wait Wait Wait.  Cease Fire.  Am I reading this correctly??  This is your FIRST AR??  You've never had an AR b4 this 1???  And your buddy JUST GOT you into the AR scene 2  MONTHS AGO?????  Ok now I am not only jealous but WTF???  Someone makes some good money thats for sure.  Congrats.  

Lol, yeah it's my first.  I was actually saving up for some other crap like new washer and dryer,  bed liner for the truck and some other seemingly useless crap.  Now I think I've got the bug.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Alright, I fixed the rear site, it's now sitting at appropriate height, off of the SIR.  And yes, the Eotech's supposed to be mounted that far forward on the bi-level SIR.  I suppose I could add the extra $40 rail to even it up, but then my  rear site would just have to go back up as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I was going to say what MrMurphy did. My first AR was a bare bones A2. I must say, well done. I personally prefer the Aimpoint, but that's just because I shoot it better. Still, sweet rifle. Now the question is, how will you outdo it?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know...... Dissy maybe?  PSV-14?  Dual infra-red/laser?  That's about all I can think of.

Won't be able to afford the night vision for a while, but once I get it, I'm telling you the friggin coyote & zombie population in Oregon is going down.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#22]
You used nice stuf but that has to be one of the most riduculously front heavy carbines you could have built.  The only thing you could have done to make it more front heavy was use a HBAR barrel.  

You have

Heaviest light/grip combo made
Heaviest forearm available (SIR)
Heaviest EOtech mounted directly over the hand guards.
Heaviest barrel profile (HBAR)

You sure that barrel is 14.5"?... it looks 16" with a standard A2.  SWEET JESUS that thing must want to do a front flip. LOL

I would HIGHLY suggest you look in a Magpul stock to help balance out the weight a bit better.  That thing looks like it would be a bitch to do tac reloads with from a magpouch while holding the weapon up in the ready position with one hand.

I think the individual parts are all top notch... just the opposite of what I spent a fortune to undo.  I hate front heavy carbines.  I used to have an HBAR and sold it... later wanted a SIR, tried it and got KAC and M900, still too front heavy even with 14.5" govt progile barrel, sold it.  Got a DD rail and it was STILL too heavy with the M900.  Sold that.  Now I have resorted to a 11.5" carbon fiber barrel and Gladius and KAC forwrd grip to reduce weight on the front end.  Well I just bought a new suppressor so now I am all the way back where I started plus some.

I think if you get a suppressor and NV eventually and get a IR laser you will be rebuilding that puppy with a barrel light under the handguards (or having that one turned down) and getting a lighter rail that will allow you to mount teh EOtech further to the rear.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#23]
It is an HBAR, and it's 16" with the flash hider.  How much heavier is the magpull stock compared to the VLTOR?

I agree, tac reloads will be challenging, and the thing isn't quite the lightest, I'll just have to work up my biceps a little more than others.  I still like it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#24]
For a guy that got into the scene 2 months ago you probibly have a better rig that 90% of the people on this site! But the best thing about AR's is that if you want to change something out it only takes a credit card and a couple of minutes. As far as the vltor stock, I have one and I love it. It is very solid and has the more traditional look.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#25]
VLTOR = 16.8 oz
Magpul M93 = 22.1 oz without reinforcing brackets.  Probably around 23 or a bit more.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Heh, that's kinda similar to my Bushie. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/salmonaxe/M4.jpg

Like these other guys said, that BUIS is designed to go directly on the flattop.  What's cool is that both the sight and A.R.M.S. Rail are made to fit perfectly together with no gap.  Using my irons, I've got a perfect co-witness with my aimpoint.  If you can look thru your irons and the eotech all at the same time, then you should have co-witness too.

That's kind of a bummer about the eotech, it's so tall and there's no way to make it sit lower.  Bilevel fixes that, but does make it front heavy.  I think you should get a Vltor stock and load it up with 123A batteries and get a magpul Miad and stuff batteries in that too.  That way you'll balance out some of that weight in the front.  Heck...

For me, my carbine being uber heavy makes it so I don't feel like such a wuss when shooting  my FAL and AR-10T.

Nice AR BTW.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:20:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Heh, that's kinda similar to my Bushie. img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/salmonaxe/M4.jpg

Like these other guys said, that BUIS is designed to go directly on the flattop.  What's cool is that both the sight and A.R.M.S. Rail are made to fit perfectly together with no gap.  Using my irons, I've got a perfect co-witness with my aimpoint.  If you can look thru your irons and the eotech all at the same time, then you should have co-witness too.

That's kind of a bummer about the eotech, it's so tall and there's no way to make it sit lower.  Bilevel fixes that, but does make it front heavy.  I think you should get a Vltor stock and load it up with 123A batteries and get a magpul Miad and stuff batteries in that too.  That way you'll balance out some of that weight in the front.  

Heck... all that weight has the added benefit of making all other carbines feel incredibly light and will give you the good "excuse" of needing to buy a lightweight AR.

For me, my carbine being uber heavy makes it so I don't feel like such a wuss when shooting  my FAL and AR-10T.

Nice AR BTW.

Thanks, I'll probably check into the VLTOR.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#28]
BUMP-----Sorry, want more input.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Very nice...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#30]
You have very nice stuff on your rifle, although I think you may have wanted to research more about the whole wieght issue like others have suggested.  You can have all the best stuff, but if you don't know the best combintion to use things with, it can make "tactical" become "impractical". I am in no way say'n I don't like your rig, that's really cool, but I would think it would be a little impractical for any real fighting application. Me personaly I wouldn't go with that, but if YOU like it, who cares what anyone else thinks. This is my ideal rig right here.

This is what works best for me. I've tried a few combinations of stuff and I like this one the best. I still think with the 16 inch barrel and the KAC RIS it makes mine a little heavier than I like, but I can deffinatly live with it.  Anyway, that's a killer gun for just getting into ARs. Thanks for posting man.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Also, I never understood why people mounted their optics so far up on the gun? Is thier some kind of added benifit of any kind?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Personally,  I'm going to put 1000 rounds through mine before I put $1K of accessories on it.
Not a dig, mind you, just my preference to gauge what I'll want to buy...and as far as other people's opinion goes, it's harder to be called a poseur on the range when you are very familiar with your tools...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top