Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2003 5:37:26 PM EDT
Went to a gun show today lookin for a SAR-1. Ended up with a NIB postban Bushmaster M4 type with the Mini Y comp muzzle brake and all accessories. Got it for 800 from a dealer. Well, i dont have it yet because of these damn 5-day waiting periods. Is this good for a bushy? Also, being my first AR, i have no mags or ammo. What is a good place to buy preban 30 rounders? What is a good cleaning kit to use? Break-in advice? And what ammo, it is .223 and 5.56 Thanks
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The BM M4 is a good rifle. you should have no complaints. Your friends will though, thanks to your Mini Y. ( Loud, but keeps recoil down well )

Hit the exchange board here for mags, and you'll walk away  a happy AR guy.

BTW : Welcome to the addiction.

KZ
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Ya done good 1BMF.
A greart rifle a a good price.
As for mags, you should be able to pick up some nice ones here on the Equipment Exchange, my wife's prefers the Thermolds and USGIs.
Ammo, there are several vendors here on the site, as well as lots on the net, a little surfing/comparative pricing will get you what you want at a good price.
Ammo selection for your rifle should run towards the mil spec type, ie 55 grn. in the 5.56 (Q3131A)as it is a mil spec rifle.
No break in should be needed since it has a chromed barrel and bolt, it will however "smooth up" the more you shoot it.
Cleaning kits sold in gunshops are good enough, just a reminder though, be sure to clean from the chamber out.
Never from the muzzle.
Once again welcome to the club, what you buying next?[:D]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#3]
good rifle, good price....like KZ said, check out the magazine portion of the EE for mags, and ammoman.com or wholesalehunter.com for ammo [:)]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Huh? Five day waiting period in FL? Since when? When I lived there is was cash and carry after passing the NICS check.

Mick
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#5]
You now own an AR, you did good.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Good move, absolutely cannot go wrong with a BM.. Now the question is.... Which one is next? Because you can only tell yourself "one is enough" for so long.. In fact I bet you have already thought about it :-)  
John
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Huh? Five day waiting period in FL? Since when? When I lived there is was cash and carry after passing the NICS check.

Mick
View Quote

Since the "wise" voters of Florida passed a constitutional amendment.  Now it is county by county.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mick
View Quote

Since the "wise" voters of Florida passed a constitutional amendment.  Now it is county by county.
View Quote

Are you fucking serious?!?!?!?!? I've been buying in two counties so far: Lee and Leon (the capital being in the latter) And I've never heard of such a beas on Rifles. Odd.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope.

You did [b][i]well[/b][/i].
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#10]
What county? I buy rifles in Escambia country with no wait after NICS. Might be worth hitting gun shows in a neighboring county that doesn't have a waiting period.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:34:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I just bought my first one yesterday with NO wait.  Going to the range today.  Im in Duval.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:00:08 AM EDT
[#12]
You did well.  Congrats on the new Bushmaster.  Now get plenty of USGI mags and ammo and have fun shooting it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:15:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I live in Pinellas county and there is a 3 day wait on long guns unless you have a CWP.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:21:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I live in Pinellas county and there is a 3 day wait on long guns unless you have a CWP.
View Quote

That stinks! I live in Lee county and never have to wait at all but for hand guns.
  The Bushy you have is a good one I have had it before and liked it a lot but my friends didnt like it at all standing beside me !  [>:/]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:09:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Get the CWP.  Just on general principle.  I got one in FL, not too hard.  Makes purchase easier too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:36:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Congrats and Welcome again!  Another vote for Q3131A  5.56  [coffee]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:45:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Excellent choice. The Mini-Y is a great brake. Don't worry about a little noise--all brakes are loud or they wouldn't work.

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I second the exchange for mags I have bought several there recently and 100% satisfied.
I would stick with USGI I have read a lot of
mixed reviews on the synthetic mags. BTW WELCOME
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:53:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I would have avoided the Muzzle Brake. They are loud, and useless on a AR. Also, you would have a clean muzzle to thread and put an A2 Compensator on next September.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#20]
The Mini Y can be removed later on after the awb is over to thread and add a real FS, right? The guy also said i could drill out the pins in the stock to make it adjustable later too.  It was either this one, or the stubby superlight; It was nice but just too damn small for me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:16:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Good rifle and a good price.  Trust me more will follow.

Max
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Mini Y can be removed later on after the awb is over to thread and add a real FS, right? The guy also said i could drill out the pins in the stock to make it adjustable later too.  It was either this one, or the stubby superlight; It was nice but just too damn small for me.
View Quote

Bad news.  If you got the standard "m4-type" from BM, the barrel is only 14.5 inches long, so there HAS to be a permanently attached 1.5 inches of SOMETHING on the end of the carbine, even after the AWB ends.  Otherwise the barrel won't reach 16+ inches.  There ARE flash-hiders that will do this if you can stick it out until September with that horrible Mini-Y, or you can have KKF give you one of a number of permanent attachments that will look better, tame the extreme recoil of the 5.56mm round JUST AS WELL, and NOT give you a detached retina.  I do not understand how people can defend that POS when there are other brakes out there that work just as well, and DON'T try to kill people on either side of you.  I got an A3 Tac-Brake and consider it money well spent.

More bad news (sorry), the fixed tele-stock BM uses has a full length buffer tube in it (at least mine does), so it is impossible to convert it to an actual collapsable stock.  Fortunately, REAL 6 position telestocks can be had for $100 or less that will be legal to drop on after September 13.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top