Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2004 9:55:49 AM EDT
Hello all. I've been shooting a .22 for awhile and have enjoyed the sport of shooting so far. A friend at the range let me shoot his Colt HBAR the other day and it was quite a change from a single shot rifle. I'll be going to a gun show on the 18th and will be looking to pick an AR-15 up. My question to you guys; what would be a good entry-level AR-15? In terms of reliability and accuracy, who makes a good rifle? It seems to me Colt, Bushmaster, and RRA all make good rifles around $1000, which is around the amount I'd want to spend. I plan to use the open iron sights, maybe optics later. Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome.  I'm biased toward the govt. A2 profile with fixed A2 sights and a heavy barrel.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Something like this?

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR1400&storeid=1&image=rstda2.gif&CFID=3227362&CFTOKEN=66325891&jsessionid=06301474481094407136147

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#3]

I built my own AR for around $400, if that gives you any idea.  Especially if you want to save some major coin.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#5]
For  $1K you could buy a damned nice rifle, a decent scope and a bunch of USGI mags and ammo.  I highly suggest at least a chromed chamber and of course a decent brand name such as RRA, Colt, Bushie, DPMS, etc.    You could also save some money by buying a lower then shopping the EE right here and completing your rifle.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Check and remember alot of prices, a good many of the dealers at the gunshow will jam it to you in they can get away with it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the ideas so far.

BeetleBailey, I really don't have too much experience with rifles, let alone building them. Would it require much time and effort? What basic pieces do I need? I guess I would have to do more research into it if I were to build the rifle. But as you said, saving that coin would be very nice.

And supposing I didn't see anything I liked at the gunshow, where would be the best place to order a rifle (or parts) and ammunition from?

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Get a Bushmaster or Colt 20in A2 or A3 for the first AR. More will come later
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Coming from a fellow Newbie, here are some things you may want to think about. First off, I wouldn't recommend that you get your first AR fit with a Y comp or mini Y comp. You are used to shooting a .22, and the concussion blast you get from the Y comped AR will certainly be a new (and unpleasent) sensation. At least it was for me.

I decided to get a Bushmaster. I got the M4 copy. The finish on the gun is very nice, it shoots great and I haven't had a problem with her yet after a month of shooting & breaking in. I have already begun to play around with fitting diffeent uppers and such on it, and the Bushmaster seems to like that sort of thing.

I thought about getting a cheaper brand for my first, but decided that if I get a good gun now, I won't be needing to get a replacement too soon later.

I got my Bushy from a dealer here for $835.00. The gun came in a solid (cheap) plastic carrying case as a bonus.

I know that all that tactical stuff looks real cool and all, but I decided to skip the scopes, flashlights lasers, foregrips and such and just get used to the gun in it's stock form with her iron sites. I plan on building ANOTHER Bushy to put goodies on soon, which is always an option. Your first doesnt have to be your last. :)

Good luck with your purchase. You won't regret it of that I am sure. I am having a blast with mine, and wonder why I didn't get one sooner! LOL!

E
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#11]
You might want to try Eagle Firearms, Chris and Kendra really  know there stuff and will be able to get you hooked up for a great price. As for ammo Wholesale hunter has great prices.
www.eaglefirearms.net
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#12]
First the less you pay is not necessarily better.2 the ban is going away you could go this route say a 16"  bushmaster barrel and A2 upper with M4 handguards and a closed bottom RRA carrier complete and ready to shoot from eaglefirearms.net$506 shipped then an ameetec arms or stag arms lower$100,RRA lower kit$50 and an RRA type 2 telestock $70,all for $720 $100 to $150 less than what you would pay in a shop and assembled from quality parts,oh yea barrel is chrome lined.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Once again, thanks for all the feedback. I've been looking at different websites and writing down some prices so I can a ballpark estimate of what I should pay at the show (assuming I like something there).

I prefer the long rifle look/feel, the 20 inch barrel, normal stock, etc. Don't know why, but I love shooting off-hand with open sights. Only accessory I was looking at was a new grip, the grip on the colt I fired felt small to me.

As far as ammunition goes, it seems there are two viable options. 1000 rounds of Wolf for around $100, or 1000 rounds of LC, Remington, or something along the lines of quality for $200. Is it true that the lacquer from the Wolf casings will eventually gum up your rifle and cause brass ejection problems? I have no problem going the quality route, but it will mean less shooting for sure.

Can't wait til the 18th, I'll keep posting any other questions I have here until then.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#16]
If I went the Wolf route, I'd probably end up shooting about 200 rounds through my AR per range visit. Quality route, around 100 rounds. Gotta ration the ammo when you're still in school and only working about 20 hours a week :P

I guess my question would be, in the long run after shooting many rounds through the rifle would Wolf cause any build-up of material that can't be prevented even if you clean your rifle after every use? I've heard yes and no and really don't know which side to believe.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok, thanks. I think I'll trust the forum mod ;) Now, where's the best place to buy Wolf in bulk?

Edit:

HiramRanger

Different title? Now I'm confused... :)
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Bushmaster XM-15 A2
recommend a carbine size
wait till the end of the ban, get a flashider and collapseable stock
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#21]
What are the advantages of a carbine over a full size rifle other than it's more compact?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I find long rifles sexy :o
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the ideas so far.

BeetleBailey, I really don't have too much experience with rifles, let alone building them. Would it require much time and effort? What basic pieces do I need? I guess I would have to do more research into it if I were to build the rifle. But as you said, saving that coin would be very nice.

And supposing I didn't see anything I liked at the gunshow, where would be the best place to order a rifle (or parts) and ammunition from?

Robert & Krista atrbprecision.com will do right by you. Have dealt with both FTF. Good product, service & prices.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I checked out www.rbprecision.com and it looks like a very nice place. Thanks Robert and river_rat for the suggestion. As said, if I don't see something I like on the 18th or too high of prices, I'll definately go to rbprecision.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
What are the advantages of a carbine over a full size rifle other than it's more compact?

Longer is better.

99% of hotties agree.

Sure a 16" swings faster, but beyond 100 yards, I love my 20 for versatility.  Besides, my reloads don't need to be so hot to get above 3000fps with the 20".
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top