Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2003 4:05:33 PM EDT
Want to purchase my first ACOG but am a bit intimated by the amount of selection of models and reticles.  I have narrowed it down to either a tao1nsn or a ta31f (whew! hope I got those model#'s correct).  I am looking for an optic with magnification for shooting longer than 50 meters.  I have an aimpoint comp m2 and would like something with a smaller reticle.  I also like the range finding aspect of the tao1.  I have read and learned quite a bit here on ar15.com but was wondering on owners and users of these two scopes like and dislike about each. It is going to get mounted onto a pre-ban Bushmaster carbine with an flattop receiver, 16in M4 barrel.
Thanks for the info,
ernieb
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You have the same range finding reticle on the TA31.  Get the TA31.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
What is the main purpose for your AR?  Have you read [url=http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=139306] Best G P Optic?[/url]
I have a TA55, TA31 and a TA01NSN.  All three are for different AR’s used for different reasons.  [s]Either[/s] ANY ACOG you get you’ll probably be happy with! [;)]

Ray
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Realistically, I will problem use the ACOG to shoot at the local outdoor range which has a 500 yd. rifle range. Occasionally I will take a shooting course or get out and shoot in the desert.  The illuminated reticle interests me because of the local ranges access at night.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#4]
IMHO, if you have definitely decided on the TA01NSN or TA31F, I would probably go with the TA31F.  For your shooting plans the TA31F’s chevron will give you the ability to make precision shots and still be effective for any up close (CQB) work.  Now if you were mainly going to be shooting up close with occasional long distance shots or even 50/50 I would go with the TA31 (donut).  The TA01NSN is great for precision work, but the front post/ghost ring sight on top, well…sucks for up close work.  If you went that route, I would recommend getting the Docter/Optima sight with interface mount.  The TA31F would definitely keep things a lot simpler.  You will not be disappointed with the TA31F!

Ray      
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top