Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 3:59:17 PM EST
There are so many choices on the market for oil and lube for guns these days and all claim to be the best! Do you think any of these "super lubes" like FP-10, Tw25B, SLIP 2000, Breakfree, Tetra and others have a real advantage over the other? Do you think one of these "super lubes" can make a given gun last longer over the next lube.

Say I have a SIG 229 and I put 50,000 rounds through it do you think it will be in better shape and have less wear if it saw FP-10 it's whole life then if it saw Hoppes oil? What about the other lubes. Do you really think your gun will last conciderably longer with these then with a regular oil like Hoppes or compariable?

What gun would last the longest and have less wear at 100,000 rounds:

SIG 229/TW25B

SIG 229/FP-10

SIG 229/Tetra

SIG 299/Breakfree

SIG 229/SLIP 2000

SIG 229/Butches oil

SIG 229/Hoppes oil
" "..............

I know no can really say which would prevail but lets hear what you think and why?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:28:59 PM EST
Sig,

The highest pressure rated lube, with the best film strength would likely extend the life of the pistol in a Vaccum.

How often the thing is cleaned, battering from +P+ ammo, spring life, quality of THAT pistols steel on THAT day it was produced....etc. has a greater influence.

The wonderfull thing is that I know only 2 people that have worn out a Sig with honest use.

By "Worn out" I mean have shot the thing untill the frame and slide got sloppy enough that they retired the things.

I'm on the 4th barrel of a 1911A1 that was made in 1938 and granted it has been tightened 2 times now.

Lube is a thing that does not alter the average life expectancy of the weapon if the lube is of a quality to begin with.

However, the better lubes will allow for more reliable use within the life expectancy of the weapon, and protect the weapon from environmentals.

Of those you list, TW-25B is the most protective, and has the highest pressure rating.

It also has a regimen of use that is not traditional, so given human influences, I would vote for the FP-10.

S-28

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:45:14 PM EST
Thanks S-28!

Believe it or not I loose sleep over these things!!!! I read endlessly on the web about oils and search for the best lube. I'm probibly going overboard doing this.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:14:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By SkagSig40:
Thanks S-28!

Believe it or not I loose sleep over these things!!!! I read endlessly on the web about oils and search for the best lube. I'm probibly going overboard doing this.

Yeap I have too.Find something that makes you happy.If it works for you then thats the answer.Thats what Ive done...Mil-comm and FP-10 floats my boat so I look no further.
Raymond
Top Top