Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/16/2003 5:37:54 PM EDT
I'm considering buying the Peltor Tactial 6s electronic ear protection. It's rated at 19Db. Is that enough for when I fire my AR in an indoor range or would I need 25 Db hearing protection?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:47:22 PM EDT
I would opt for the highest ear protection level. Some people use foam plugs and muffs. Hearing damage is cumlative and irreversable, don't cut corners on your ears or eyes. Stay safe.....
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:56:30 PM EDT
Plugs AND protectors. Use both. And don't settle for the cheap foam throwaway plugs, either. Get some custom fitted plugs made for you. They're about 40 bucks, but mine are something like 29 dB reduction. Add protectors on top of those and I'm functionally DEAF. It works out to almost 50 dB of total protection, and you can fire a .50 without ringing your ears with that much protection! CJ
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:59:29 PM EDT
I use plugs and protectors. Howard Leight 29db protectors (about $20) and cheap throwaway plugs that are made my Leight as well and are 22db reduction.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:03:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cmjohnson: Plugs AND protectors. Use both. And don't settle for the cheap foam throwaway plugs, either. Get some custom fitted plugs made for you. They're about 40 bucks, but mine are something like 29 dB reduction. Add protectors on top of those and I'm functionally DEAF. It works out to almost 50 dB of total protection, and you can fire a .50 without ringing your ears with that much protection! CJ
View Quote
Those "cheap foam" protectors are rated at 29-31db noise reduction, depending on which ones you get. They're some of the BETTER plugs out there. And you do know that you can't add up the numbers on the devices (say 25 plugs and 25 muffs) and come up with 50, right? (trying to dig up the link with that information)
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:05:19 PM EDT
Breycor, ar-wrench nailed it. Use both muffs AND plugs and don't scrimp on either one. I shoot indoors with my mini-y braked M4's and ALWAYS use both! Good thing-Huh? Even if you will be shooting a naked barrel rifle, you never know what the guy next to you will be using. Be safe and have fun!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:13:48 PM EDT
Both, the Peltors are enough for outdoor, but if I shot indoors I'd put some plugs in as well.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:21:33 PM EDT
There was a post some time ago about hearing protection. I think the guy's wife is an Audiologist. If I remember right, anything above 40 decibels was a moot point because the way sound is absorbed in that area. I don't know how to explain it. Mark
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:49:13 PM EDT
Definitely use both foam plugs and muffs. I didn't, for the longest time, when I shot the rifles outdoors. I now have -30db hearing loss in the mid-ranges in my left ear (right is -5db), which I attribute to the muffs moving around and allowing some noise to get in. If I'd been wearing the plugs too, I might be okay. Don't learn it the hard way.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:31:39 AM EDT
Thanks guys....
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:17:54 AM EDT
For my son and I------plugs and muffs always! We shoot indoors weekly. ps, his 16" with comp is still loud! We are working on a KKL I think it is fake comp to save our ears.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:30:35 AM EDT
Walgreens sells a big jar of the soft orange earplugs for about $8. You get something like 40 sets, and I think they are rated at 31db. Cheap insurance for your ears, adn they are the most comfortable earplugs I have found. I also keep a pair of earmuffs on the strap of my shooting bag in case Mr. Macho in the next lane over is playing with his Desert Eagle that day. I usually wear plugs with the earmuffs as I have found that occasionally the stock weld will break the seal, and they can shift a bit when I adjust my glasses.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:16:27 AM EDT
I am a plugs-and-muffs-all-the-time guy because I can vary the amount of protection. If I can't hear a conversation, I can slightly unseat one side, yet still have 20-30dB of attentuation. I also use plugs often at work, so I'm used to keeping them in all the time at the range too, rather than seat and unseat them repeatedly. I've been surprised by a few gunshots, and been glad I had the plugs in.
Top Top