Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/20/2003 5:02:37 AM EDT
Probably because I never had to eject a chambered round in 28 years of USAR duty, (yeah, I had it easy :-) I was surprised to see that the primer of each unspent round (the last one I put into a mag) that had been chambered and then ejected in order to cease fire and clear the range, had a small dent, not unlike a fired round. I reloaded each of the 3 cartridges that I had ejected and all subsequently fired fine. But is this a dangerous situation- can a round actually go off when I merely release the bolt catch and allow it to fly forward and chamber a round? What causes this?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:28:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/20/2003 8:30:19 AM EDT by neilfj]
It's normal, and as long as everything is in good working order, its not a problem. Unlike many other firearms, the AR15/M16 does not have a rebound spring on the firing pin. When the bolt is released and a round is chambered, the firing pin has inertia built up that causes it to lightly strike the chambered round when the bolt comes to a stop. Nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:00:52 AM EDT
Same info as neilfj just gave you, but for good pictures of this, read the answer to the question "Q. I chambered a round in my AR and then unloaded it later. The primer has a small dent in it, apparently from the firing pin. Should I be worried about this? . . ." under http://www.ammo-oracle.com/lcugly.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:46:32 AM EDT
[url]www.ammo-oracle.com[/url] see question above there..... Mike
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:00:01 PM EDT
The M1 Garand and SKS do the same. No worries.
Top Top