Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 12/14/2004 2:54:40 PM EDT
Finished up my Lefty about an hour ago. Here are the finished pics

The Phantom was mine that I already had from my last build that never got installed.

T Markings

Bolt Markings

I can't wait to get it out to the range
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 4:33:14 PM EDT
Schweet.

Dust cover flips up, eh.

How the ergos for a south paw on a right hand lower?
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 6:05:27 PM EDT
Groovy. I am tempted to order mine right here and now. Christmas funding demands will keep this on the back burner until next month though. I'm glad they've clearly marked the bolt carrier as a left-handed part. Unsuspecting righties [probably] won't try to plonk it in their righty upper.

Link Posted: 12/14/2004 8:06:13 PM EDT
keep us posted im very interested.
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 11:57:43 PM EDT
Thats crazy looking for some reason. I think its mostly because the dust cover.

What happens if you shoot an AR off handed? I have a left handed buddy who wants to shoot my gun. Is he gonna loose an eye? (exaggerating)
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 5:10:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2004 8:17:22 AM EDT by 98Zixxer]

Originally Posted By Mark_R:
Schweet.

Dust cover flips up, eh.

How the ergos for a south paw on a right hand lower?

It's about the same really. I've always shot lefty from the beginning and hated the hot shell fly-bys.

I'm gonna attempt a safety flip so I can have most everything on the "correct" side

Thats crazy looking for some reason. I think its mostly because the dust cover.

What happens if you shoot an AR off handed? I have a left handed buddy who wants to shoot my gun. Is he gonna loose an eye? (exaggerating)

He may not lose an eye but he'll surely be thinking it with every shot

I got hit once or twice shooting my dad's CAR and I didn't like it
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 8:37:52 AM EDT
hot shell fly-by's have never bothered me, but it will be fun watching all your right handed friends shoot your gun.
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 8:54:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By clubsoda22:
hot shell fly-by's have never bothered me, but it will be fun watching all your right handed friends shoot your gun.

:tasteoftheirownmedicine:
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 9:30:33 AM EDT
Great looking rifle!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 6:12:27 PM EDT
I got mine a couple of weeks ago also. I'm very happy with it. Fit and finish was good. Function and accuracy was superb. The only problem I had was with that dust cover.

I noticed that you don't have any optics mounted yet. Are you planning to stick anything on top? If so then I suggest being a little careful. I placed an Eotech on mine with the supplied thumb screw and the dust cover won't completely flip open. It's held in a semiclosed position by that thumb screw.

At first I didn't think it was affect anything but then I noticed that ejected rounds would strike the dust cover and then drop almost straight down. I replaced the Eotech thumbscrew with a recessed hex screw and I now no longer have that problem. The dust cover is still not completely open but there's enough clearance so that ejecting rounds don't hit it.

Just a little warning in case you plan to mount any options on it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 6:53:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2004 6:53:51 PM EDT by arhunt576]
I bought a scope riser that stag sells as an accessory, it works out well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2004 6:03:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Teachdaire:
I got mine a couple of weeks ago also. I'm very happy with it. Fit and finish was good. Function and accuracy was superb. The only problem I had was with that dust cover.

I noticed that you don't have any optics mounted yet. Are you planning to stick anything on top? If so then I suggest being a little careful. I placed an Eotech on mine with the supplied thumb screw and the dust cover won't completely flip open. It's held in a semiclosed position by that thumb screw.

At first I didn't think it was affect anything but then I noticed that ejected rounds would strike the dust cover and then drop almost straight down. I replaced the Eotech thumbscrew with a recessed hex screw and I now no longer have that problem. The dust cover is still not completely open but there's enough clearance so that ejecting rounds don't hit it.

Just a little warning in case you plan to mount any options on it.

I planned on going the route arhunt576 did with the riser. I haven't decided on optics I want yet really.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 5:30:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lethalppl:
keep us posted im very interested.

I took it out to the range on Saturday for the first time. I got a fer second looks from my wrong handed rifle

All in all it shot very very good. I had some trouble with jamming in some older soft point reloads that I was using, but that was expected. Not one of the factory 55g rounds jammed on me though. Each one ran through butter smooth.

I did have an issue with a canted FSB which I'm reading isn't uncommon so I'm not worried. I contacted Stag and they suggested trying a new sight post which I was planning on changing anyways. If that didn't solve the issue then they would pay the shippng to to fix the problem for me in house. That made me very happy to hear, I didn't expect them to tell me to piss off either though.

I've decided to go with an IOR Valdada M2 for my optics. It seems to be everything that I'm looking for, and carries a great price also. So now it's saving saving saving to get ASAP.

When I get my new post in I'll take it to the range again to see if the issue was taken care of.

At the end of the day I'm very happy with my purchase.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 1:43:33 PM EDT
How high is the riser? If I use it with my Eotech will it still co-witness or it is much higher for traditional style magnification scopes like you're planning to use? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 1:55:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Teachdaire:
How high is the riser? If I use it with my Eotech will it still co-witness or it is much higher for traditional style magnification scopes like you're planning to use? Thanks.

The riser height I'm unsure of. It's probably about 3/4" to 1" high.

The rings I plan on using are high enough to allow the scope to sit over top the ARMS 40 I have in the down position.

I don't plan on using any co-witness optics at this point. It'll be open sight or a 4x scope
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 2:08:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2004 2:08:47 PM EDT by eklikwhoa]

Originally Posted By clubsoda22:

so the tables have turned                      
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 2:39:35 PM EDT
Hey, your the guys we met at ASC last week?

Link Posted: 12/21/2004 3:52:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Timanator:
Hey, your the guys we met at ASC last week?

Yeah that was my dad and I with the pistol.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:35:54 PM EDT
Is the barrel heavy under the handguards?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:38:40 PM EDT
nice looking build,

and another black rifle was born
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:11:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By clean_cut:
Is the barrel heavy under the handguards?

No it's an M4 low profile under the handguard.

Big time weight difference between mine and my dad's Post-Ban Colt H-Bar Sporter

Top Top