Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/10/2004 9:18:13 AM EDT
I've seen some AK's that had the finish roughed up on purpose to give the look of a well worn rifle. Anyone done that with an AR? I love the look of a well used one but will never get there in this lifetime with any of mine w/natural use. I'm talking the Israeli/IDF photos type wear. My dream rifle is an A1 type CAR w/lots of finish wear on the high points. Someobdy take some steel wool or sandpaper to their AR so I can see how it looks!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#1]
This is, hands down, the dumbest thing I have ever read on this board.  This is dumber than the wimps that cry when they scratch their rifle.

I can not imagine a bigger act of a Wannabee.

Definitely worthy of the coveted FIVE TROLL award.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a bit harsh.  It doesn't seem much different than the knuckleheads (myself included) that paint ARs.

G23c
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This is, hands down, the dumbest thing I have ever read on this board.  This is dumber than the wimps that cry when they scratch their rifle.

I can not imagine a bigger act of a Wannabee.

Definitely worthy of the coveted FIVE TROLL award.

Nah I give it 's out of five and an extra because he wanted me to do MINE first....Udog
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#4]
painting is one thing.  intentionally damaging the finish to look like you've seen action is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#5]
While I do not think that was a dumb question I do think that the idea is a bit out there.  If you want to do that to your AR, that is fine.  It reminds me of people who rough up there jeans to get that heavily-washed look to them.  

If making your AR look rustic floats your boat then by all means have at.  Just makes sure you post some pics when you finish.    
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Just keep shooting the hell out of it, it will look rough enough in no time.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#7]
It wasn't a troll post.... it was an honest question. Not everyone wants the minty unfired safe-queen look. I've shot mine quite a bit but no noticeable wear..... you just can't get that combat look from time at the range. If it makes me a "wannabe" by asking so be it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Good idea, took a rat-tail file to the M16...cool, huh?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It wasn't a troll post.... it was an honest question. Not everyone wants the minty unfired safe-queen look. I've shot mine quite a bit but no noticeable wear..... you just can't get that combat look from time at the range. If it makes me a "wannabe" by asking so be it.

Then go to the range under bad conditions, bring at least 500 rounds with you, go prone and shoot the thing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Now this has been posted on other baords and the Israeli ARs do command respect!!  But I could never do it to mine intentionally.

I have to agree with glock23carry use it and the scars will prove themselves.

Trigger fish!   Say it aint so man!!!    Say it aint so!!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Not mine, range M16 @ The Scottsdale Gun Club.  I took the pic a few months ago knowing I'd "need" it for a thread like this.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You could strap it to a section of plywood, face down to the ground.
Strap some bricks on top of the board/AR and drag it behind your truck in a field to
get the "low crawl thru the battles of hell" look.

LOL!

I mean, your goal is to wear off the finish right?
A belt sander would work wonders with a fine grit, then rub some mud on it and let it
set for a few days.

I still don't get why you would want to do that, it will wear with age and normal abuse.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Just remember, whatever you do end up doing to it, make sure you take some pics!  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#14]
maybe you could hire someone to wear  it down for u
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#15]
"Someobdy take some steel wool or sandpaper to their AR so I can see how it looks!"

Ah in one word.
NO!

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#16]
go take a bunch of tactical carbine classes.  that will scratch your ar up real quick.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#17]
and here i am tryin to figure out how to do digi cam job on mine
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
go take a bunch of tactical carbine classes.  that will scratch your ar up real quick.

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#19]
OR... you can go take a bunch of tactical carbine classes. that will scratch your ar up real quick.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Scuff an aluminum reciever with steel wool and the galvanic reaction caused by the embedding microscopic steel splinters will make ah....er....real....interesting finish!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I thought galvonic corosion only happens when you lube an AR with graphite and add salt water into the equastion.As far as scuffing it up with steel wool inside my upper is scratched a bit by my steel bolt carier and no problems and no bad reactions..927
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#22]
You bolt carrier is not made of very soft mild steel with 10,000 times the surface area like steel wool is.  Your bolt carrier will not splinter, steel wool will certainly embed microscopic splinters.

Galvanic corrosion will occur where you have a junction of two dissimalar metals and embedded steel splinters, I.E. Steel embedded in Al will do this, guarenteed.

NEVER, I REPEAT, NEVER use steel wool on aluminum.

Do a google on Galvanic cell and galvanivc corrosion if you want to learn more.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top