Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2007 4:44:23 PM EDT
Well, I have been lurking on this board for a while and decided to take the plunge and build an AR-15. I checked the only FFL within 20 miles and he does not have AR-15 lower receivers, nor will he order or have them transferred to his business. He does sell a few AR-15 rifles fully assembled at ridiculously high prices though.

So, I went on to the next closest FFL, a place that claims to be the "black rifle headquarters." Well, they can order lower receivers, either DPMS or Stag Arms (which I wanted) but they sell them for $168 each! I actually considered this crazy price just so I could get my AR-15 build underway. However, when I told him I would prefer the Stag Arms receiver, he told me it would take 8-12 weeks. I asked if I could just have one transferred from another FFL as I could get one this week and get a better price. They told me that they will not do FFL transfers for products they sell over the counter. So, I could (in theory) find a different brand and have it transferred for a $32 fee. Well, that $168 original receiver quote and their general attitude did not make me want to give them my business at any cost.

I then decided to look on the gunbroker site for all the firearms dealers in my part of michigan and began mass mailing them about ordering a lower receiver, hoping to receiver a reply from several dealers and I would just pick the closest one. Well, all but one email were returned stating that those particular emails were "undeliverable." Apparently those FFL holders were no longer around and gunbroker just happened to have their email addresses still on file.

But today, today was finally a victory. I found a sporting goods store (less than one mile from the "black rifle headquarters") that not only would order me a lower receiver, but would sell it for a reasonable price. I am going next week to pick up my Stag Arms lower receiver ($130 w/ tax) and I ordered my lower parts kit and CAR wrench last night. Thank goodness all the other stuff is easily attainable online and shipped directly to me.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad to hear you found somebody who will "allow" you to order your choice of lower receivers. I was in a similar situation here in PA, either the gunshops would outright refuse to order for me, or they would have an insane markup if they did. One shop carried stripped lowers for around $200, and complete lowers for $275. I believe in making money, and I like to support my local gun shops, but when they gouge us in this way it makes me wonder how they stay in business. Just because it is a gun, or gun accessory, does not mean it is gold-plated or hand made in some rain forest. I finally found a very reasonable gun shop that will order anything for me, at a few bucks over cost, or at cost, and because the gunshop owner takes care of me, I take make sure I buy as much as I can at his shop, even if that means I have to pay a buck or so more for something that I could have found cheaper at another business. I also send him as much business as I can. In the end I get a great deal when I order AR-15 lowers, AK receivers, or any other firearm I would like. Once you find a great shop, take care of them, and they will take care of you! BTW, once I started ordering Stag Lowers, and the owner saw them, and a few other patrons liked them, the gunshop now keeps a few stripped and completed receivers on hand all the time, along with a ton of accessories! I think I may have contaminated the shop with BRD!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top