Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2005 3:57:06 PM EDT
Stag lower, Model 1 upper, 4 position carbine buffer tube. I was really suprised when I got this upper from M1. It is t-railed, looks like laser engraved. They are not whitened, really nice.

As for the buffer tube, I called up Ace and they sold me 5 "overrun" pieces for $6 shipped. They were in different circumferences. There were 3 pieces that were 2' long with a nubby end and 2 shorter tubes. I used one of the nubby ended ones here. I am very happy with it, I will go to the range tomarrow.

I have a scope riser on its way, it is a bit too low.

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet !
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#2]
i'm sorry, did you say COMPLETE?

you really meant assembled for now, right? I don't think any member of this board can really say a AR is complete until they sell it.

Nice pistol. I can't wait until I can put mine together.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Very cool!

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, you could almost put that thing in your pocket. Don't even need a sling !!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:25:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Normally I tell people different is cool, but what the hell is that thing?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:30:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Why are all the Alaskans hating on the Va guy?

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:56:50 AM EDT
[#8]
You're going to love your Pistol.  These things are soo much fun that I only use my rifles for competition now.  If your "bullet hose" is as much fun as mine is, you will be in the poor house in no time.  There isn't enough ammo on earth to keep these things fed.

MadDog
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:03:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why do you have a microphone on the buffer tube?

[simpsoncomicbookguy] BEST POST OF THE DAY!! [simpsonscomicbookguy]

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:18:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:56:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hating?  Nah...  Actually I really am curious about the buffer tube.  What is that microphone looking thing thing and why is it there?

I did a bit of grinding on the bottom of the buffer tube to bring it to a tear drop shape, and that is a foam sleeve from Ace. It is an overrun piece from the foam sleeves they use on their stocks. It helps with cheek weld, and keeps the buffer tube from getting dinged up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hating?  Nah...  Actually I really am curious about the buffer tube.  What is that microphone looking thing thing and why is it there?

I dont know either but I bet some fed could use some twisted logic to call it a stock.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice

I want one Now
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I was being serious.  For a rifle, I couldn't understand the arrangement in the rear - I recognized the foam cover but I didn't understand why you weren't using a stock.  I didn't realize it was a pistol.  For an AR-15 pistol, it seems to have an overly long and heavy front end.  It seemed odd in either world.  With the barrel that long, I would have pegged it for an SBR.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I went to the range today. Went thru the first 20 rounds no problem. Loaded another mag, FTE. One spent round half way out of the chamber while a fresh round was 1/2 way in. Tried several types of ammo (Winchester, PMC, Federal), all did the same thing. I swapped out to a RRA bolt and no more problems. Shot another 40 rounds no trouble. Very strange.

U-baddog, you're probably right. I did a little mod with a razor.

AK_Mike, I dont care for plain ff tubes, espacially how hot they get. I was kinda stuck with a 10" setup.
I always liked the SBR's, but I didnt want the paperwork hassle, and our local Sherrif is very gun friendly. He wouldnt sign NFA paperwork for a friend.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Ah, that explains much my friend.  Back end does look better but now the sleeve might not stay on as well.  Sorry to hear about your CLEO.

It's different, and that's cool.  It's actually starting to grow on me.

Weird thing is now you kind of have me thinking evil thoughts...
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#19]
SWEET!!!

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Ah, that explains much my friend.  Back end does look better but now the sleeve might not stay on as well.  Sorry to hear about your CLEO.

It's different, and that's cool.  It's actually starting to grow on me.

Weird thing is now you kind of have me thinking evil thoughts...

Evil is good. Join the darkside.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#21]
h8mtv
Sounds like an extractor spring issue on the malfunction. Try a HD spring. Model 1 sells a HD extractor spring for $1 and will probably send you one for free if you call them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I actually got a Wilson bolt and a few other parts from a member today. That should solve my problem. I will keep the M1 around for parts.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
looks like a great PDW!

PDW
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
PDW

Personal Defense Weapon
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Do AR15 pistols have to have a lower reciever that is manufactured specifically for a pistol ?
if so gimme some contacts please?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#28]
so i could go buy a stripped lower add my parts and then slap my 7.5'' upper on it and it be legal ?
just wanna get it crystal clear dont wanna do anything illegal
also what is the cheapest/best lower to buy ?
this will be my first AR15 build ever i want to do it right heheh
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
so i could go buy a stripped lower add my parts and then slap my 7.5'' upper on it and it be legal ?
just wanna get it crystal clear dont wanna do anything illegal
also what is the cheapest/best lower to buy ?
this will be my first AR15 build ever i want to do it right heheh

Not necessarily.  ATFE recommends you have a letter from the mfg that the receiver was not made into a rifle.  If that stripped lower EVER had a stock attached to it, even for a moment, it becomes a rifle from thereafter on.  Bigbore has posted a nice letter from the ATFE asking if a standard buffer tube is acceptable on an AR pistol, and they mention the letter dealeo.  I can't find the post now, perhaps it was someone else who posted that letter.  I don't think you legally have to have such a letter - the bottom line is make absolutely sure the receiver has never had a stock attached to it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Going back to the post about being a good personal defense weapon, doesn't the short barrel pretty well kill the effectiveness of the 5.56 round?  Just a thought, hopefully someone that knows more than I will chime in.  That really does look like a nice setup.  I nearly purchased my lower to start a very similar project this weekend at the gunshow.  The funny thing is that until I saw yours, I never really liked them........  Now see what you have started!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#32]
After firing my 7.5" barrel, I wouldn't want any one to "Just for show" it at me. I'd really like to see the ballistics for the 7.5. It was readily apparent when I shot the same pile of dirt with a 16" just how much "Ooomph" it had lost, but I still don't think I'd like to get hit by one. I'd like to see just what a 5.56mm cartridge fired from a 7.5" barrel compares to. .30 Carbine? .38 Special? I know it still packs one hell of a lot more punch than a .22 Long rifle, and I wouldn't want to get shot by one of those either!
I think "just for show" might be an over simplification. Perhaps for use as a rifle, but we're talking pistols here. Are you telling me the things have worse punch than a .380? Or a .25?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top