Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2004 5:40:05 AM EDT
Ok, I finally got my upper receiver in yesterday, and I'm ready to marry it to my lower. My lower is all assembled sans the following 4 small parts which I'm not sure where they go or how they install. If anyone could give me specifics it would be great. I've seen the Breakdown drawings of the AR15, but they are a little vague on these parts:

For Size Reference:

I have Identified the parts as such:

1) Buffer Retainer Spring
2) Buffer Retainer
3) Takedown Pin Spring
4) Takedown Pin Detent

Close up pics would be helpful as I am a visual Learner
Thanks Guys!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:44:55 AM EDT
[#1]
The AR15.com "Homepage" is your friend: www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

Mike

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:52:23 AM EDT
[#2]
They all go in the ass end of your lower receiver.

The TD pin detent goes in the small hole that sits to the lower right of the large buffer tube hole in the back of the lower receiver.....it slides in the hole and the spring follows it.

The buffer detent and spring go in the hole you see from the top of the stripped lower....it runs vertical and is located inside the rear loop of the lower where the buffer tube screws in. You put in the spring, then the detent over it......you then screw in your buffer tube while holding this down. Screw your buffer tube past the detent and the tube now holds it in place.

Either the plate from your M4 style stock our the actual buttstock from your standard style stock will hold the take down pin denent/spring in place.

Sorry no camera.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:02:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The AR15.com "Homepage" is your friend: www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

Mike

I missed that page somehow, go figure... That helps a lot! But the assembly on these parts are still a little vague. Color me a dumbass.

Quoted:
They all go in the ass end of your lower receiver.

The TD pin detent goes in the small hole that sits to the lower right of the large buffer tube hole in the back of the lower receiver.....it slides in the hole and the spring follows it.

The buffer detent and spring go in the hole you see from the top of the stripped lower....it runs vertical and is located inside the rear loop of the lower where the buffer tube screws in. You put in the spring, then the detent over it......you then screw in your buffer tube while holding this down. Screw your buffer tube past the detent and the tube now holds it in place.

Either the plate from your M4 style stock our the actual buttstock from your standard style stock will hold the take down pin denent/spring in place.

Sorry no camera.

AAAhhhh! That clears a lot of it up!
Does the buffer retainer install with the "pointy" end up or down?

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:05:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

"Pointy" end up...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:17:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Pointy" end up...

Thank you sir! We'll give it a try tonight and see what happens!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:48:53 AM EDT
[#6]
And when the Buffer detent flys out the first time....watch where it lands
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
And when the Buffer detent flys out the first time....watch where it lands

Roger that!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I did that during a test-fit.  Make sure you put your thumb over the buffer retainer when you unscrew the buttstock or it will attempt to achieve Low Earth Orbit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I did that during a test-fit.  Make sure you put your thumb over the buffer retainer when you unscrew the buttstock or it will attempt to achieve Low Earth Orbit.

No worries! I gave it a go when I got home from work, everything fit confortably and seems to be functioning properly!

I made triple care to keep the retainer in the silo

Thanks Guys!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Joker,
There are certain things we don't need to know!  

Glad to hear you got things figured out.  AR15.com, the pusher that actually helps you!  We've got to hit the range together in about a week.  I've got a "proper" upper that needs to be sighted in just like yours.  Hope to have the Aimpoint for you by then.
Scott
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:08:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Joker,
There are certain things we don't need to know!  

Glad to hear you got things figured out.  AR15.com, the pusher that actually helps you!  We've got to hit the range together in about a week.  I've got a "proper" upper that needs to be sighted in just like yours.  Hope to have the Aimpoint for you by then.
Scott

I was just talking to Matt about the same thing. Of course I think every rifle range in the area will be packed on the weekends for the next several months! We're gonna have to play hooky one day next week I'm afraid
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top