Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2005 7:39:31 PM EDT
Catastrophe Rifle

I am currently building two catastrophe rifles for my come what may scenario.  Rifle number one is an AR15.  It will be constructed as follows:
1.  Short no butt trap M16 butt stock
2.  Flat top upper
3.  Standard lower with A2 grip and 4lb no creep trigger
4.  Aluminum combo hand guard / free float tube
5.  Weaver type gas block
6.  20in 1 in 8 twist barrel with A2 flash hider
7.  EOTech 552 holo sight
8.  Backup detachable front and rear sights
9.  M262 ammo feeding from 30rd issue mags upgraded with Magpul followers
I am interested in your comments related to the above rifle.
Thanks,
Sparky1
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Relax. I don't think it's a catastrophe, they sound like pretty good builds to me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Omar,
This rifle is the one I will defend my kin with during the next come as you are catastrophe.
Good Shooting,
Sparky1
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds good. I would go with a 16" barrel. In the event of your terrorist attack/natural disaster/looter & rioting/zombie uprising, you would be better served with the cqc benefits and reduction in weight of the 16" over any gains in long distance accuracy of the 20" in my mind.
Just my $.02
FGC
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#5]
If it is your only weapon or first weapon, I would go with a 20" barrel and do a mid length for backup.

I agree on the substitution of the 1/8. Those are mostly stainless barrels. A RRA 1/9 chrome lined midlength with bayo is what I just built.  If it is really for survival, you can always attach the bayo and still have a weapon even if out of ammo, which means ditch the weaver block.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#6]
LMT makes a great Stainless in 1/8.
You may want to look at the MRP too..??

myit
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#7]
MY idea of a rifle for that use would as light and simple as possible.  Simple is better.

It should be bulletproof reliable when left in the closet for years.  

No scope, A1 sights preferred, A2 nearly as good.  

Stock Colt/younameit trigger, 6-8 lb pull or so.  No AD under stress here.  Brandishing should solve your looter problems 99% of the time.  

I like the idea of 30 round mags, for the intimidation effect and well, 30 rounds.  No reloading until the situation is stable.

A short rifle would be much better in hallways, around doors, and in short range shooting the lack of 4" of barrel should not be much of a handicap.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:24:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks so far, you all have some really great thinking.  I will try to give you all some of the reasoning I am using on this rifle.  They are as follows:
1.  Remove front sight-I really want an unobstrected field of view
2.  Barrel-I have the barrel on hand and will not need to purchase a new one
3.  Trigger-It's a standard one but by the grace of God it's a really good one
4.  Holo sight-The eyes are not what they used to be so it will work better and faster for me
4A.  My guess is all fighting under 200 yards so no sight adjustment needed
4B.  I want my wife to be able to use the rifle without sight adjustment if I go down
5.  The tube is one I have on hand
Thanks again and keep posting your thoughts on this rifle.
Sparky1
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top