Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/9/2006 11:24:56 AM EDT
I've recently acquired a case of Federal 69gr. SMK BTHP's.  The box has ther Civilian Marksmanship Program logo on it an is marked CMP223M.  It also has Sierra Match King BTHP 69gr. marked on it too.  Is this the same stuff as the Federal Gold Medal Match 69gr?  Or is it factory seconds?  Looks like the stuff you would use in a match at Camp Perry.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've recently acquired a case of Federal 69gr. SMK BTHP's.  The box has ther Civilian Marksmanship Program logo on it an is marked CMP223M.  It also has Sierra Match King BTHP 69gr. marked on it too.  Is this the same stuff as the Federal Gold Medal Match 69gr?  Or is it factory seconds?  Looks like the stuff you would use in a match at Camp Perry.  

Did you get them from the CMP?  How much do they cost?  I'll have to visit their website!!!  Especially if the price is right.  Are they moly or non moly?  Yes you could use them for highpower competition.  I'm not sure if it's the best round for 600 though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#2]
JJREA, I got the case from a member, not direct.  I just want to see if this is the same bullet/ballistics.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I checked today.

CMP ammo is loaded to the same specification as "Gold Medal", to include accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#4]
How does the Federal GM223M 69gr compare with the Hornady TAP 75gr for personal defense? They both look like an OTM (Open Tip Match) Sierra Match King.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought 2 cases at the North store in August  just after  the Camp Perry matches, $7.20 per box of 20 which is half price  or less. That is an untouchable deal considering it's anywhere from $14-$20 at any of the ammo dealers. 308 Gold Medal Was $12.00 a box which I also bought a case of that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I bought 2 cases at the North store in August  just after  the Camp Perry matches, $7.20 per box of 20 which is half price  or less. That is an untouchable deal considering it's anywhere from $14-$20 at any of the ammo dealers. 308 Gold Medal Was $12.00 a box which I also bought a case of that.

Holy crap that's cheap!!!!!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How does the Federal GM223M 69gr compare with the Hornady TAP 75gr for personal defense? They both look like an OTM (Open Tip Match) Sierra Match King.

The Federal round uses a Sierra bullet.
The Hornady round uses a Hornady bullet.

The 75 grain likely fragments a little more violently and probably a little earlier, though the 69 grain round is better than any ball round you'll likely find.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top