Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/10/2016 3:56:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon]
Federal 69 Grain Gold Medal Match Ammunition

Attachment Attached File

In their 1984 catalog, Sierra Bullets introduced the .22 caliber (0.224”) 69 grain MatchKing HPBT (hollow point boat tail) bullet (#1380).  The 69 grain MatchKing was “developed as a target bullet for testing by military teams in the new M16A2 rifle”1 and the bullet became a popular choice for shooters using the AR-15 in High Power Rifle Competition.

Attachment Attached File

While the US military had experimented with “heavy” FMJ (full metal jacket) bullets for the 5.56mm cartridge as far back as the mid-1960s,  (the Colt/Federal 5.56mm 68 grain FMJ) the .22 caliber 69 grain MatchKing was the first heavy OTM (open-tip match) bullet that was available to the general public as a reloading component for 223 Remington/5.56mm cartridges.  (Hornady’s 68 grain OTM bullet (#2278) wasn’t introduced until approximately two years later.)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

In their 1989 ammunition catalog, the Federal Cartridge Company debuted an addition to its “Match” line-up of factory loaded rifle ammunition; a 223 Remington load topped with none other than the Sierra 69 grain MatchKing (223M).  In their 1992 catalog, Federal expanded the nomenclature for this load to “Premium Match” (P223M) and in their 1993 catalog it became “Gold Medal Match” (GM223M) as part of a marketing campaign capitalizing on the USA Shooting Team’s success in the Barcelona Olympics using Federal ammunition.  

It’s interesting to note that pertaining to the accuracy/precision development and multifaceted testing of the Federal ammunition that helped the US Olympians win gold and silver medals in Barcelona, Federal’s Director of Product Engineering, Dave Longren, had this to say:

“The standard test string was three 10-shot groups, with the most attention paid to the 30-shot composite.  When you’re working at this level, the traditional five 5-shot group test simply doesn’t give you statistically valid results.”2

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The 69 grain Sierra MatchKings loaded in the lot of Federal Gold Medal Match ammunition that I evaluated for this article had a nominal length of 0.890”.  The nominal cartridge OAL of this load was 2.248”.  Through some simple testing, I determined that the 69 grain MatchKing has a specific gravity of approximately 10.2.  

According to Ballistic Performance of Rifle Bullets by Bryan Litz, the 69 grain MatchKing has an average G1 ballistic coefficient of 0.330 and an average G7 ballistic coefficient of 0.169.  The same source states that the “recommended twist for optimal performance” of the 69 grain MatchKing “is 1:9.5” or faster.

The 69 grain MatchKings that top the Federal Gold Medal Match ammunition are loaded in Federal brass.  The head stamp for this lot reads “FC  13  223  REM”.  The rounds are primed with Federal Gold Medal Small Rifle Match Primers (GM205M).  The primer pockets are crimped and sealed with a blue lacquer sealant.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The case-mouths of this lot of Federal 69 grain Gold Medal Match ammunition are sealed with asphalt sealant.  The case-mouths have a slight taper-crimp which produces a shallow circumferential crease in the bearing surface of the 69 grain MatchKings.  The pic below shows a pulled bullet on the right (the crease in the bullet indicated by the red arrow) next to a virgin 69 grain MatchKing on the left.

Attachment Attached File

This lot of ammunition is charged with a “ball powder” (though I have seen lots in the past that were charged with a short-cut extruded powder.)  The squares in the red grid pictured below are 1/10th of an inch.

Attachment Attached File

Velocity

When it was first introduced, Federal advertised the muzzle velocity of the 69 grain Gold Medal Match ammunition as 3000 FPS.  More recent advertising lists the muzzle velocity at 2950 FPS.  These figures are from 24” barrels.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I chronographed the Federal 69 grain Gold Medal Match ammunition from a semi-automatic AR-15 with a chrome-lined, NATO chambered 20” Colt M16A2 barrel with a 1:7” twist.

Attachment Attached File

Chronographing was conducted using an Oehler 35-P chronograph with “proof screen” technology. The Oehler 35P chronograph is actually two chronographs in one package that takes two separate chronograph readings for each shot and then utilizes its onboard computer to analyze the data to determine if there is any statistically significant difference between the two readings. If there is a statistically significant difference in the readings, the chronograph “flags” the shot to let you know that the data is invalid. There was no invalid data flagged during this testing.

The velocities stated below are the muzzle velocities as calculated from the instrumental velocities using Oehler’s Ballistic Explorer software program. The strings of fire consisted of 10 rounds over the chronograph.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Each round was single-loaded and cycled into the chamber from a magazine fitted with a single-load follower. The bolt locked-back after each shot allowing the chamber to cool in between each shot. This technique was used to mitigate the possible influence of “chamber-soak” on velocity data. Each new shot was fired in a consistent manner after hitting the bolt release. Atmospheric conditions were monitored and recorded using a Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Tracker.

Attachment Attached File

Atmospheric conditions

Temperature: 70 degrees F
Humidity: 76%
Barometric pressure: 30.14 inches of Hg
Elevation: 950 feet above sea level

The muzzle velocity for the 10-shot string of the Federal 69 grain Gold Medal Match ammunition fired from the 20” Colt barrel was 2732 FPS with a standard deviation of 16 FPS and a coefficient of variation of 0.59%.

For those of you who might not be familiar with the coefficient of variation (CV), it is the standard deviation, divided by the mean (average) muzzle velocity and then multiplied by 100 and expressed as a percentage. It allows for the comparison of the uniformity of velocity between loads in different velocity spectrums; e.g. 77 grain loads running around 2,650 fps compared to 55 grain loads running around 3,250 fps.

For comparison, the mil-spec for M193 allows for a coefficient of variation of approximately 1.2%, while one of my best 77 grain OTM hand-loads, with a muzzle velocity of 2639 PFS and a standard deviation of 4 FPS, has a coefficient of variation of 0.15%.

Attachment Attached File

Over the last decade I’ve chronographed several other lots of the Federal 69 grain Gold Medal Match ammunition from a variety of barrels.  The muzzle velocities of those lots are shown in the table below.

Attachment Attached File

Accuracy

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the Federal 69 grain Gold Medal Match ammunition following my usual protocol. This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any group-reduction techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, Butterfly Shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Also, a control group was fired from the test-rifle used in the evaluation using match-grade, hand-loaded ammunition; in order to demonstrate the capability of the barrel. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The barrel used in the evaluation was free-floated. The free-float handguards of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold Competition Series 45x45mm scope adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shield was attached. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

Attachment Attached File

The Wind Probe.

Attachment Attached File

The test vehicle for this accuracy evaluation was one of my semi-automatic precision AR-15s with a 24” Krieger barrel. The barrel has a 5.56mm Match chamber with a 1:7.7” twist. Prior to firing the  69 grain Gold Medal Match ammunition, I fired a 10-shot control group using match-grade hand-loads topped with the Barnes 85 grain Match Burner. That group had an extreme spread of 0.56”.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Three 10-shot groups of the 69 grain Gold Medal Match ammunition were fired in a row with the resulting extreme spreads:

0.67”
0.73”
0.67”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 0.69”. The three 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius for the 30-shot composite group was 0.24”.

The smallest 10-shot group . . .

Attachment Attached File

The 30-shot composite group . . .

Attachment Attached File

Terminal Ballistics

Attachment Attached File

Terminal ballistic testing of the 69 grain MatchKing loaded in the form of Federal’s 223M ammunition has been conducted by Dr. G.K. Roberts with the results of that testing published in Wound Ballistics Review, Volume 3, Number 4.  Fired from a Colt AR-15A2 carbine with a 16” barrel, the average penetration of the 69 grain MatchKing in 10% bare ordnance gelatin was 14.7”.  The average recovered diameter was 0.40” and the average percentage of fragmentation was 60.2%.

…..

1.  Technical Staff.  “Sierra .22 Cal. 69-gr. MatchKing.”  American Rifleman Jan. 1984:  60-61.  Print.

2.  Hunnicutt, Robert.  “Ammo Good as Gold.”  American Rifleman  Nov. 1992:  32-33, 72-73.  Print.

Link Posted: 1/10/2016 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting read , thanks op
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 11:12:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Outstanding !
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 11:22:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Accurate, available and (soft target) effective.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 11:39:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MRW] [#4]
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 11:53:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MRW] [#5]
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:30:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 1:44:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Molon.

Have you done the 77grain yet?

Txl
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Great work, as always. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Great group!  I gotta buy some of this stuff.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:35:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TxLewis:

Have you done the 77grain yet?

View Quote

I did years ago, but a lot of my older data was lost in a tragic boating accident (hard drive crash actually).  

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:49:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:
Outstanding !
View Quote

+1 Also enjoyed the VP of QC double checking the equipment...passed the sniff test
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Real nice!
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:34:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#13]
Originally Posted By GetGunz:

+1 Also enjoyed the VP of QC double checking the equipment...passed the sniff test
View Quote
I had to read that three times before I realized what you meant.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 1:58:51 AM EDT
[#14]
You da man, as always, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MRW:

Velocity out of my 20" BCM barrel was around 2660 fps.  I was a bit disappointed.

View Quote

How many rounds through the barrel at the time of chronographing?
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#17]

rounds total in the barrel's lifetime, or rounds shot at that sitting?  I was shooting 10 round groups from a BCM 20" that has had about 500+ so far.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:06:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#19]

you think a barrel with an overall low round count would produce slower velocities?

View Quote

The opposite.  The higher the round count, the greater the amount of throat erosion which can end up lowering the muzzle velocity.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Would love to see this with the inexpensive 69 SMK ADI loading.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Molon:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Velocity out of my 20" BCM barrel was around 2660 fps.  I was a bit disappointed.

I helped a friend build a rifle using a 20" BHW barrel. Velocity was 2650ish with the brand new barrel. I thought there was something wrong with the barrel at first since it stated 2900 on the box, but it shot other ammo at proper velocities.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

I helped a friend build a rifle using a 20" BHW barrel. Velocity was 2650ish with the brand new barrel. I thought there was something wrong with the barrel at first since it stated 2900 on the box, but it shot other ammo at proper velocities.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

The "2950" FPS on the box is from a 24" barrel.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ronnl001:

Great work, as always. Thanks.

View Quote

De rien.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Click2Boom:

Would love to see this with the inexpensive 69 SMK ADI loading.

View Quote

Not exactly inexpensive, but there's a "Snapshot" of the Corbon load in this thread:

COR-BON 69 grain Performance Match HPBT

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:28:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#25]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:08:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Federal 223 Remington 69 grain Gold Medal Match Ammunition

https://app.box.com/shared/static/geeg51uhpvfti961539h5fbo0sfk0hzp.jpg

In their 1984 catalog, Sierra Bullets introduced the .22 caliber (0.224”) 69 grain MatchKing HPBT (hollow point boat tail) bullet (#1380).  The 69 grain MatchKing was “developed as a target bullet for testing by military teams in the new M16A2 rifle”1 and the bullet became a popular choice for shooters using the AR-15 in High Power Rifle Competition.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/vhjhdx41bqu0v0cn9n0amowevuybtmc9.jpg

While the US military had experimented with “heavy” FMJ (full metal jacket) bullets for the 5.56mm cartridge as far back as the mid-1960s,  (the Colt/Federal 5.56mm 68 grain FMJ) the .22 caliber 69 grain MatchKing was the first heavy OTM (open-tip match) bullet that was available to the general public as a reloading component for 223 Remington/5.56mm cartridges.  (Hornady’s 68 grain OTM bullet (#2278) wasn’t introduced until approximately two years later.)

https://app.box.com/shared/static/ciiob8g6340l3esouekj39dfbg35dkqs.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/cxxqn0gqstvbfip8cem3yxama4birihf.jpg

In their 1989 ammunition catalog, the Federal Cartridge Company debuted an addition to its “Match” line-up of factory loaded rifle ammunition; a 223 Remington load topped with none other than the Sierra 69 grain MatchKing (223M).  In their 1992 catalog, Federal expanded the nomenclature for this load to “Premium Match” (P223M) and in their 1993 catalog it became “Gold Medal Match” (GM223M) as part of a marketing campaign capitalizing on the USA Shooting Team’s success in the Barcelona Olympics using Federal ammunition.  

It’s interesting to note that pertaining to the accuracy/precision development and multifaceted testing of the Federal ammunition that helped the US Olympians win gold and silver medals in Barcelona, Federal’s Director of Product Engineering, Dave Longren, had this to say:

“The standard test string was three 10-shot groups, with the most attention paid to the 30-shot composite.  When you’re working at this level, the traditional five 5-shot group test simply doesn’t give you statistically valid results.”2

https://app.box.com/shared/static/43t9tc8uvfus0kl8lw69nxfwoo3hotj1.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/97a2bkjbdj1r1frplff7pwq93rr3bpv2.jpg

The 69 grain Sierra MatchKings loaded in the lot of Federal Gold Medal Match ammunition that I evaluated for this article had a nominal length of 0.890”.  The nominal cartridge OAL of this load was 2.248”.  Through some simple testing, I determined that the 69 grain MatchKing has a specific gravity of approximately 10.2.  

According to Ballistic Performance of Rifle Bullets by Bryan Litz, the 69 grain MatchKing has an average G1 ballistic coefficient of 0.330 and an average G7 ballistic coefficient of 0.169.  The same source states that the “recommended twist for optimal performance” of the 69 grain MatchKing “is 1:9.5” or faster.

The 69 grain MatchKings that top the Federal Gold Medal Match ammunition are loaded in Federal brass.  The head stamp for this lot reads “FC  13  223  REM”.  The rounds are primed with Federal Gold Medal Small Rifle Match Primers (GM205M).  The primer pockets are crimped and sealed with a blue lacquer sealant.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/xflpfcqtb8nmvme8l05hyyq7x93g3nkv.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/28axxo6a7ez88pfrisjyv4yxfwzjfkpv.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/rxd37et7ecli9q6dx6ok4t9ge4v15qjn.jpg

The case-mouths of this lot of Federal 69 grain Gold Medal Match ammunition are sealed with asphalt sealant.  The case-mouths have a slight taper-crimp which produces a shallow circumferential crease in the bearing surface of the 69 grain MatchKings.  The pic below shows a pulled bullet on the right (the crease in the bullet indicated by the red arrow) next to a virgin 69 grain MatchKing on the left.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/uzxa8m4wou617rh8juxh7wlsltds4jlz.jpg

This lot of ammunition is charged with a “ball powder” (though I have seen lots in the past that were charged with a short-cut extruded powder.)  The squares in the red grid pictured below are 1/10th of an inch.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/td2ky3pguq84e1z3pyv1i6kbie6s03gs.jpg

Velocity

When it was first introduced, Federal advertised the muzzle velocity of the 69 grain Gold Medal Match ammunition as 3000 FPS.  More recent advertising lists the muzzle velocity at 2950 FPS.  These figures are from 24” barrels.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/k9k0cq1dx9h9zetq77ogbizttm4srp9c.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/qdmxl29l5knnyxpbfs67ae2i2stmkip1.jpg

I chronographed the Federal 69 grain Gold Medal Match ammunition from a semi-automatic AR-15 with a chrome-lined, NATO chambered 20” Colt M16A2 barrel with a 1:7” twist.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/uk8ncu2pryojtw6zycir0qcfjb5jnxsx.jpg

Chronographing was conducted using an Oehler 35-P chronograph with “proof screen” technology. The Oehler 35P chronograph is actually two chronographs in one package that takes two separate chronograph readings for each shot and then utilizes its onboard computer to analyze the data to determine if there is any statistically significant difference between the two readings. If there is a statistically significant difference in the readings, the chronograph “flags” the shot to let you know that the data is invalid. There was no invalid data flagged during this testing.

The velocities stated below are the muzzle velocities as calculated from the instrumental velocities using Oehler’s Ballistic Explorer software program. The strings of fire consisted of 10 rounds over the chronograph.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/qecrizgcgxyzqztvq5xvb9gczasq71q3.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/psjsdukng1c4p5efyw096kuka7p2aliu.jpg

Each round was single-loaded and cycled into the chamber from a magazine fitted with a single-load follower. The bolt locked-back after each shot allowing the chamber to cool in between each shot. This technique was used to mitigate the possible influence of “chamber-soak” on velocity data. Each new shot was fired in a consistent manner after hitting the bolt release. Atmospheric conditions were monitored and recorded using a Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Tracker.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/rwruh372al3yh9kafscx370ewe74e6el.jpg

Atmospheric conditions

Temperature: 70 degrees F
Humidity: 76%
Barometric pressure: 30.14 inches of Hg
Elevation: 950 feet above sea level

The muzzle velocity for the 10-shot string of the Federal 69 grain Gold Medal Match ammunition fired from the 20” Colt barrel was 2732 FPS with a standard deviation of 16 FPS and a coefficient of variation of 0.59%.

For those of you who might not be familiar with the coefficient of variation (CV), it is the standard deviation, divided by the mean (average) muzzle velocity and then multiplied by 100 and expressed as a percentage. It allows for the comparison of the uniformity of velocity between loads in different velocity spectrums; e.g. 77 grain loads running around 2,650 fps compared to 55 grain loads running around 3,250 fps.

For comparison, the mil-spec for M193 allows for a coefficient of variation of approximately 1.2%, while one of my best 77 grain OTM hand-loads, with a muzzle velocity of 2639 PFS and a standard deviation of 4 FPS, has a coefficient of variation of 0.15%.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/lz3su91r4ps75es4s3q97vpm1pdlri73.jpg

Over the last decade I’ve chronographed several other lots of the Federal 69 grain Gold Medal Match ammunition from a variety of barrels.  The muzzle velocities of those lots are shown in the table below.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/w0gs50q3af413dnz2qvbsu1iakbqhpum.jpg

Accuracy

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the Federal 69 grain Gold Medal Match ammunition following my usual protocol. This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any group-reduction techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, Butterfly Shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Also, a control group was fired from the test-rifle used in the evaluation using match-grade, hand-loaded ammunition; in order to demonstrate the capability of the barrel. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The barrel used in the evaluation was free-floated. The free-float handguards of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold Competition Series 45x45mm scope adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shield was attached to the objective-bell of the scope. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/7o9zt9idk7889mmzlcbkjaqe16r5mz8h.jpg

The Wind Probe.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/34onzav3qv4qj12lgbf6ebe7xs3n1akn.jpg

The test vehicle for this accuracy evaluation was one of my semi-automatic precision AR-15s with a 24” Krieger barrel. The barrel has a 5.56mm Match chamber with a 1:7.7” twist. Prior to firing the  69 grain Gold Medal Match ammunition, I fired a 10-shot control group using match-grade hand-loads topped with the Barnes 85 grain Match Burner. That group had an extreme spread of 0.56”.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/7dopatb1i9j9utqasmlpspu7866mauwd.jpg

https://app.box.com/shared/static/2eptrywgf9tzdaxkk8dj59xtgevp6lko.jpg

Three 10-shot groups of the 69 grain Gold Medal Match ammunition were fired in a row with the resulting extreme spreads:

0.67”
0.73”
0.67”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 0.69”. The three 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius for the 30-shot composite group was 0.24”.

The smallest 10-shot group . . .

https://app.box.com/shared/static/z19esbz5qwlt1fmj1zsl7j4kpjxj8pgw.jpg

The 30-shot composite group . . .

https://app.box.com/shared/static/eki5o34xwsa32fo6btbm8oani5lbdpwh.jpg

Terminal Ballistics

https://app.box.com/shared/static/axegkogwbjzh7byqbvsxfkc5bg3k21ib.jpg

Terminal ballistic testing of the 69 grain MatchKing loaded in the form of Federal’s 223M ammunition has been conducted by Dr. G.K. Roberts with the results of that testing published in Wound Ballistics Review, Volume 3, Number 4.  Fired from a Colt AR-15A2 carbine with a 16” barrel, the average penetration of the 69 grain MatchKing in 10% bare ordnance gelatin was 14.7”.  The average recovered diameter was 0.40” and the average percentage of fragmentation was 60.2%.

…..

1.  Technical Staff.  “Sierra .22 Cal. 69-gr. MatchKing.”  American Rifleman Jan. 1984:  60-61.  Print.

2.  Hunnicutt, Robert.  “Ammo Good as Gold.”  American Rifleman  Nov. 1992:  32-33, 72-73.  Print.

View Quote

Great write up.  I've found this to be one of the most consistently accurate loads in my shooting as well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#27]
^^ me too. Bought a lot of this years ago and cannot believe how pricey it has gotten and stayed.  In fact all the FGMM stuff has gotten real pricey - 308 168s included.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Bits of extra detail on this one.....
If I didn't know any better, I'd say this is a favorite factory load for you sir. The results are stellar indeed.

But I digress. What is the frag threshold? Having a broken googlefoo tonight it seems.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#29]
What would be a better choice, this or IMI Razorcore 5.56mm?

All things being equal, it would seems the 5.56mm for the added range. The unknown, for me anyway, is accuracy. IMI is certainly cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:47:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#30]
Originally Posted By Blessed1:

All things being equal, it would seems the 5.56mm for the added range. The unknown, for me anyway, is accuracy. IMI is certainly cheaper.
View Quote
The 69 grain Gold Medal is more accurate than the 77 grain IMI Razor Core.  I haven't tested the 69 grain Razor Core.

IMI “Razor Core” 77 Grain OTM, LR, Mod 1

Attachment Attached File

This load is topped with a 77 grain OTM bullet with a cannelure.  The case mouth is sealed and the primers are crimped and sealed.  When chronographed from the 20” Colt barrel, the load had a muzzle velocity of 2866 FPS with a standard deviation of 21 FPS.

A 10-shot group group fired off the bench from my Lothar-Walther barreled AR-15 at a distance of 100 yards had an extreme spread of 0.95”.

Attachment Attached File

….
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#31]

The 69 grain Gold Medal is more accurate than the 77 grain IMI Razor Core.  I haven't tested the 69 grain Razor Core.
View All Quotes

My apologizes for not being more clear. Yes I was referring to the IMI 69gr RC. Thank you for your reply

As a general purpose fragging round, would you recommend the TMK over the SMK? Trying to narrow down what direction I want go with a non barrier blind load..
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#32]

My apologizes for not being more clear. Yes I was referring to the IMI 69gr RC. Thank you for your reply

As a general purpose fragging round, would you recommend the TMK over the SMK? Trying to narrow down what direction I want go with a non barrier blind load..

View All Quotes

A standard MatchKing would not be my first choice in the fragmenting self-defense category.

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:15:05 AM EDT
[#33]

A standard MatchKing would not be my first choice in the fragmenting self-defense category.

View All Quotes

After rereading some of your other data, it would seem that there indeed is a constant standout ammo manufacturer and the fragging round that they use..seemingly exclusively.  
That's the beauty of having a guy like you around.
The data doesn't lie. "Just the Facts"... indeed.

Thanks again for your time.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 3:59:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#34]

View Quote
My new avatar on TOS . . .

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#35]

https://app.box.com/shared/static/7t9a6osittnqqnn8gtt9btdwu4ppimqo.jpg

View All Quotes

https://app.box.com/shared/static/7t9a6osittnqqnn8gtt9btdwu4ppimqo.jpg

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Sgt. Joe!

I miss those shows. They didn't have all the production budgets and technology, but the writing was awesome and very creative.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#37]

If I didn't know any better, I'd say this is a favorite factory load for you sir. The results are stellar indeed.

View Quote

Certainly one of the most accurate 223 Remington factory loads that I've ever tested.

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Certainly one of the most accurate 223 Remington factory loads that I've ever tested.

View All Quotes

Ugh, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what.  But in the AR's I've tested the sierra 69's in, they have never grouped as well as the hornady bullets.  For me.   My recce liked all the hornadies, 52, 68, 75 and even the 60 grain VMax.  It likes the 77 grain sierra's.  But did horrible with the 69's.....  

And it was the case a few other times I tested it in other AR's.....  I still have half a box of black hills red 69's I haven't shot up because of that.  It's old.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:31:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#39]
Originally Posted By JJREA:

Ugh, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what.  But in the AR's I've tested the sierra 69's in, they have never grouped as well as the hornady bullets.
View Quote
Every Barrel Is A Law Unto Itself.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#40]

Ugh, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what.  But in the AR's I've tested the sierra 69's in, they have never grouped as well as the hornady bullets.  For me.   My recce liked all the hornadies, 52, 68, 75 and even the 60 grain VMax.  It likes the 77 grain sierra's.  But did horrible with the 69's.....  

And it was the case a few other times I tested it in other AR's.....  I still have half a box of black hills red 69's I haven't shot up because of that.  It's old.  
View All Quotes

I have barrels that Love the Hornady 75gr's and hate the 77gr's... don't let it get you down... embrace the Hornady's.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#41]
This is the best shooting ammo I have tried in my Aero Precision 16in mid-length.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

Ugh, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what.  But in the AR's I've tested the sierra 69's in, they have never grouped as well as the hornady bullets.  

My mantra is "Every Barrel is Prejudiced".    I know I know.  I feel like I see a pattern though.  Obviously you got really good results.  But I feel like I've seen more people NOT have good results with the 69's in comparison to other loads.  But not a scientific thing, just going from memory.  So, you got lucky.    Just kidding.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Once again, outstanding work. Thank you Molon.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#44]

I have barrels that Love the Hornady 75gr's and hate the 77gr's... don't let it get you down... embrace the Hornady's.

View All Quotes

They are cheaper.    I'm on a mission to just shoot 55 grain stuff that's cheap, or M193.  Because I'm cheap.  And I don't spend a lot of time shooting for groups too much.  I do have a whole black hills blue box of 68's and a few other partial boxes.  I think I got a few 52's . But those are moly coated and I've been fighting with myself if I should burn them up through my stainless barrel or not.  If half a box or so makes a difference.  Probably not.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DesignatedMarksman:

Once again, outstanding work. Thank you Molon.

View Quote

Da nada.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Thank you for the testing .

I claim very little expertise and the only real testing I did for my RRNM (20" stainless RR barrel) was at 100yds as I was shooting at my clubs 100yd service match (reduced)
I started with some heavy (75gr?) bullets and then the 69BTHP and thought I was doing ok until one of the club members who has shot and done very well at all sorts of competition advised that for short courses most guys were using sierra 52 and 53 gr matchkings .

I just grabbed the Sierra book and used some win748 because that is what I had on hand and the groups were so much better than the 69 and heavier bullets that I didn't bother trying to measure groups or fine tune the mid range starting load I had selected . My guy claimed the longer (heavier) bullets need time and distance to "settle down"
and didn't start to shine until 300yds and beyond
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:50:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#47]
Originally Posted By nhsport:My guy claimed the longer (heavier) bullets need time and distance to "settle down"
and didn't start to shine until 300yds and beyond
View Quote
The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from a distance of 100 yards using a hand-load topped with the 85 grain Barnes Match Burner.  The group has an extreme spread of 0.428".

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The first target pictured below shows a measured 5-shot group that was fired by Bryan Litz at a distance of 100 yards on his “shoot thru” target set-up.  The group has an extreme spread of 2.46 MOA.

Attachment Attached File

The next target shows the impact at 300 yards of the exact same 5 shots that were fired at the 100 yard target.  The extreme spread for the resulting 5-shot group at 300 yards is 2.49 MOA.

Attachment Attached File

William C. Davis has reported on tests conducted at Frankford Arsenal on this subject matter also.  Using machine-rested, bolt-actioned, heavy test-barrels, one such test that was conducted on an indoor-range involved firing EIGHTEEN 10-SHOT GROUPS on targets at 100 yards and 300 yards.  The average extreme spread for the groups at 300 yards was 3 times as large as the average extreme spread of the groups at 100 yards.

In another test that was conducted at Aberdeen Proving Ground using .30 caliber match-grade ammunition, thirteen 10-shot groups were fired simultaneously through paper screens at different distances.  The mean radius for the groups at 300 yards was 1.0”.  The mean radius at 600 yards was 2.1”.....
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the testing . I had to scroll a long way to see the dog this time .  I learn something every time I read these
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:21:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#49]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:

I had to scroll a long way to see the dog this time .
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 4:17:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#50]

I have barrels that Love the Hornady 75gr's . . .
View Quote
The bullet itself, is capable of producing excellent precision . . .

Attachment Attached File

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top