Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2005 2:45:21 AM EDT
Anyone here have any say on this stuff... looking possibly for MP5 and COLT 9mm SMG...

Can't find much data except what Federal has listed.  Any actual street shootings ,etc?

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Police department dumped it after they hit a suspect in the head and it bounced off.  I would not use for defense over Winchester Ranger or Speer Gold Dot ammo.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Police department dumped it after they hit a suspect in the head and it bounced off.  I would not use for defense over Winchester Ranger or Speer Gold Dot ammo.

What bounced off?  The ammo or the head?

R.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Detroit PD has had numerous problems with it.  There was some hihgly publicized shootings where the person shot had the bullet simply bounce off his head.

Dont you worry though, Marshall and Sanow have been hired by Federal to solve this problem.  I will rest easy
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Detroit PD has had numerous problems with it.  There was some hihgly publicized shootings where the person shot had the bullet simply bounce off his head.

Dont you worry though, Marshall and Sanow have been hired by Federal to solve this problem.  I will rest easy

My guess is that they should switch the powder for more velocity,
Or reduce the force needed for the projectile to expand.

There are plenty of good HP rounds out there, if you can not use a HP round then a polimer tipped bullet could work.  
Problem is that there are few if any polimer tipped bullets for hand guns and the only one I know of are expensive.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#5]
It is an interesting round if you live in NJ (we have silly hollow point laws), but if you live elsewhere why bother with it?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It is an interesting round if you live in NJ (we have silly hollow point laws), but if you live elsewhere why bother with it?

From what I recall, EFMJs cant be used in NJ either.  Your dumbass AG said no "expanding amm" of any kind.

Just give up and move to Texas.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#7]
If the bullet bounced off his head, that sounds like an issue with low velocity or a badly angled shot, not bullet construction.  If you believe that bullet construction is what made the round bounce, wouldn't that mean that you'd also have to feel the same way about FMJ rounds?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I recall, EFMJs cant be used in NJ either.  Your dumbass AG said no "expanding amm" of any kind.

+1
NJ sucks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want an EFMJ-type round, why not try Cor-Bon Pow 'R Ball? I don't think it's ever been observed bouncing off people...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If the bullet bounced off his head, that sounds like an issue with low velocity or a badly angled shot, not bullet construction.  If you believe that bullet construction is what made the round bounce, wouldn't that mean that you'd also have to feel the same way about FMJ rounds?

FMJ has been known to bounce of heads, no matter the caliber.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I lived in Jersey my whole life up until a year ago and the main reason I left is because of the BS firearm laws so I think I know them pretty well

Hollowpoint bullets are legal and illegal in NJ.  They are legal for Home protection and for shooting at the range but they are illegal to carry.  Since it's next to impossible to get a CCW in NJ it doesn't really matter about them being illegal for carry.

I'm not 100% sure but probably 99% sure that EFMJ are legal in NJ
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I have purchased a couple boxes of Federal EFMJ some time back just to try it out since the concept of guaranteed expansion seemed interesting.

Although I sold on the expansion characteristics of the ammunition, I wanted to test its accuracy and reliability.  I shot about 100 rounds from a G23 to a target about 21 feet downrange.  While it cycled flawlessly during my test, there much to be desired in the accuracy department.  1 out of every about 20 rounds would veer about 4 inches off my point of aim, and that's alot at 21 feet.

I still do not know what caused the problem, since I've not encounted the same issues with HPs or FMJ ammunition.  Has anyone else had the same problems?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm not advocating EFMJ (I wouldn't carry it), but according to the news story, the "bouncing off of the head" incident occurred with a suspect who had a steel plate in his head.  
That round "failure" could have happened with any of the popular/latest and greatest ammo out there.  

It's good to have ALL the facts...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top