Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 11:24:10 PM EDT
I recently received some federal .223 brass which I reloaded with winchester primers and some of the primers popped out of the federal brass when fired. It doesn't happen with Winchester brass, Lake city brass or any other type of brass. Roughly one in ten of the federal brass was doing this. The other nine out of ten don't have any problems and when reloaded again they are still trouble free. Does federal brass need to be reloaded with federal primers?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:43:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:00:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Troy:
And the problem is that Federal brass should not be reloaded, period.  The problems with their brass are well-known.  The sidewalls are too thick, and the case head is WAY too thin, which results in expanded case heads, expanded primer pockets, and case head separations.
-Troy

While it might be obvious, let me state that Troy's comment re: Federal brass applies to 223 Remington only.

Federal brass in other calibers, particularly that used in their Gold Medal line, ranges from very good to world class.

I honestly can't understand why they screwed up their 223 brass the way they have.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:11:16 PM EDT
I see that I shouldn't have posted here. But thanks for the replies.
Top Top