Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 4:35:58 PM EDT

Would you consider 500 rounds of A/E 55GR for $91.75 out the door a good price. Or can it be found cheaper online? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a good price.  

From the Ammo Price List:

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The price is excellent and the ammo is some of the best plinking .223 on the market. By the way, the price list quoted above is for 1000 round lots.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Good price.  I would buy as much as I could.  Great plinking ammo and functions reliably.  Accuracy isn't very good though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#4]
na the price sucks, just buy it and ship it to me. I'll pay you for it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:44:12 AM EDT
[#5]
All of the current 223 federal red box I have been getting has a crimped and sealed primer with a nato head stamp. They are saving time on manufacturing when they switch over to commercial production. I have not pulled any heads to look for neck sealant. Over all length is .223 though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:57:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I recall that back around '95 there was a bunch of Fed AE Red box ammo sold that was "excess production from Desert Storm", at least that is what the store owner told me at the time.  I may still have a few boxes stashed, but don't remember if the primers were crimped.  I'm almost certain that back then they did not use the NATO head stamping though.

Probably easier and less costly to have a single case priming operation for both commercial and Milspec ammunition lines anyway.

There are big differences between various 55 grain fmj bullets.  The latest Rem 55 fmj has a much thicker looking jacket than some older ('93?) Win 55 fmj's I compared them with.

With Fed and Win, I just can't understand why they would use one bullet in milspec ammo, and a different version for commercial offerings.  Has anyone compared AE bullets to XM193?

Paladin

ETA:  The AE mentioned above was from '93, and came in a CAMO style carton of 500 rounds.  Found an intact case!  Uncrimped primers, .223 headstamp.  Resealed and put back into storage.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:19:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have not pulled any heads to look for neck sealant.

I did, the bullets are unsealed.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
All of the current 223 federal red box I have been getting has a crimped and sealed primer with a nato head stamp. They are saving time on manufacturing when they switch over to commercial production. I have not pulled any heads to look for neck sealant. Over all length is .223 though.

Sorry... Federal doesn't make XM193... The LC brass is just that. Federal gets some over run brass and uses it for it's AE line.
No "change over to commercial."
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top