Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2012 11:07:10 AM EDT
What is your favorite cleaning kit. cleaning tool or solvent?

I generally use Hoppe's solvent and Hoppe's brushes.  Then follow up with patches and gun oil in aerosol can.  Let me know what you use and why?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#1]
bore bush followed by patches drenched in CLP.  

works like charm.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
bore bush followed by patches drenched in CLP.  

works like charm.

2nd that, I clean often and use simple cleaners. I also use nylon brushes, useless it was 'really busy' day at the range.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Hoppe's #9 for solvent to clean, using a J. Dewey rod, guide, and jag for the barrel. GI AP brush for all other parts. I use a stripper clip with the brass insert removed with a cloth to get inside the bolt carrier where the bolt rides. Does a great job at scraping carbon that gets built up in there.

CLP for oil and lube. Have a good supply of it thanks to some fellow ARFCOM members. If and when I run out, I have a quart of Mobil 1 0W-40 that I plan on trying for lube.

YMMV

ETA: Also use the Colt Bore brush that came with the cleaning kit for the bore.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I just like the smell of Hoppe's #9....

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#5]
All I ever need and use are a boresnake, a rod, Q-tips, patches, paper towels, and CLP.

I also use some of the grease that comes with Geissele triggers for them.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Slip EWL and a rag

My bolt guns get the nylon brush/hoppes #9/patches treatment though.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All I ever need and use are a boresnake, a rod, Q-tips, patches, paper towels, and CLP.

This pretty much sums it up for me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Dang, forgot the Q-tips. I use lots of those two

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Usually use the CLP as well but I got a couple of large cans of the Gunslick foaming bore cleaner and I've been using that for my barrel, works pretty well gets the job done if you spray in and wait 30 minutes plus it expands and fills up my battlecomp which makes it a little easier to clean.

edit for spelling: damn you auto correct its not "boar" cleaner its "bore" cleaner.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#10]
OTIS cable kit - two cables work really nice, one with the patch attachment and one with a brush. Or use a rod with a cable - one gets the brush the other the patches.
Copper brush
non-stretchy cloth patches
Shooter's Choice
Mobil 1 synthetic 10w30
Once in a while I will use a chamber brush

I used to use Hoppes #9 solvent but after cleaning a couple dirty guns with Hoppes and then running Shooter's Choice - I found there was a lot left on the gun.  SC also eats through the build up on the tail of the bolt way faster than H #9.

Went to motor oil (again used to use H #9) after being recommended and I definitely see difference in terms of better and more even coating and less burn off.  Cleaning also seems to be easier to get thick deposits of build up loose.

ETA - SC is more expensive but I use less and takes less time.  Plus, Mobil 1 is much cheaper than Hoppes Gun Oil.  Overall I see a decrease in spending and an increase in efficiency and cleanliness.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I like using Ranger Perfume....I mean Hoppes 9.

I've never messed with 7.62 solvent, we have a bottle but none dare touch it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Frog Lube and GI cleaning kit. Treat with the paste. Clean with the liquid. I have tried many different products, properly treated weapons systems require half the cleaning time of formerly used petro products. I am just a sample of 1 but I can't see me changing back anytime soon.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Shooter's Choice Solvent
Michine Gunner's and/or Tetra Lubricant
Cotton Patches
Keen-Bore Lead-Away Cloth
Old T-shirts
G-96
Gun Scrubber
Compressed Air in a can
Pipe Cleaners
Q-tips
Nylon 'tooth' brush
One Piece Cleaning Rod
Bore Snake
Chamber Brush
Very seldom ever use a bore brush

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Slip 2000 has been my biggest find.....other than that it's the normal stuff....then a generous helping of Slip 2000
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Otis, Hoppes, FBC and a little oil blend I am working on to market..
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What is your favorite cleaning kit. cleaning tool or solvent?

I generally use Hoppe's solvent and Hoppe's brushes.  Then follow up with patches and gun oil in aerosol can.  Let me know what you use and why?

GI clean kit 90% of the time
Ottis for field use. fits in grip-
Dewey rod for Pistols
32oz MP- Pro 7 Cleaner Because its notoxic , CHEAP and it works well. ( spray out upper / soak carrier/bolt)
MP Pro 7 LPX  for lube
make my on patches or I use ottis patches

As far as CLP/lube goes they ALL seem to work well for me!

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Ballistol for all my cleaning and lubing needs.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ballistol for all my cleaning and lubing needs.

+1 with a boresnake and rag.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#20]
For solvent and oil, I use Break-Free Powder Blast and CLP. I find it whenever I'm at Walmart.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a whole shelf of speciality gun products that I use from time to time.

My one go to product that is used most and always travels in a small bottle in my truck,gun tool box and range bag is Breakfree CLP.

I buy it in 16 oz or larger bottles and divi it up into small bottles to carry and use.

Yes there are other products that some think are better for some task,cheaper or more tier one but I find it to be a all around good product
that is reasonably priced when bought in the larger bottles and the convinience of one product cleaning,lubeing and protecting is great for my uses.

Since I jumped into ARs a dozen or so years ago CLP has been my around the house around the workbench and garage all purpose
product because it works and because I always have a bottle close at hand.

Other favorite products:

Butche's Bore Scrub  for heavy duty bore cleaning when I suspect copper fouling

Q-tips. I have tried all sorts of special tools to clean the bolt lugs of a AR includeing the starfish shaped felt plugs and similar things but find some solvent or CLP along with a proper m16 chamber brush to soften stuff up then grab most of the mud with a couple of Q-tips is the easiest
way to go.

One piece rod with jag and pre cut patches. Larger bores I go cheap with hand cut old T-shirts but on the 5.56 there is a small margin between
patches too large that you can't push through and undersize patches that don't do much of anything.
A large bag of patches from Midway or somewhere and the Dewey one piece rod with a jag speeds up the bore cleaning process quite a bit.

Cleaning cradle.

Nothing super fancy, just the plastic thing from Midway, plop it on the table or bench and it leaves you two hands to work the rod and patches
while the gun just sits there
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Slip2000 EWL,Bore Snake all calibers I use, for a tool Dremel.Also like the star shaped cleaning heads for barrel extensions and Qtips when Im to cheap to buy those.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just like the smell of Hoppe's #9....

Boresnake  & Q-tips
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#24]
G96 is my go to product. I use it for everything! I lube with Mobil 1.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rods.  

Hoppes #9

EEZOX
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Hoppe's 9 and CLP.

Interested in the motor oil idea. I can mate my jeep obsession with my AR!
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Q-Tips
Hoppes #9
Shooters Choice
Paper Towels
Slip, CLP, or Mobil1
One piece Midway cleaning rod or BoreSnake
Did I mention Q-Tips?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Otis Elite cleaning kit. M-Pro 7 cleaner. Otis lube for now...M-Pro 7 LPX on it's way.

I also have a AR field kit on it's way so I have some easy store rods. I can put them in my Otis kit. The 'rods' that come with it are less than desirable.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#29]
what are the best cleaning rods to use?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top