Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2005 12:02:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2005 10:15:06 AM EDT by QUIB]
I’m currently searching for an online source for a new to VG condition A1 grip to add to my CAR/GUU forgery.

Last night while ogling my baby I thought “Why not cut off the finger groove from my current A2 grip?”

So out in the shop I headed this morning. Removing my A2 grip, I sawed off the finger groove. Starting with a rasp and then progressively finer files, I smoothed down the groove to match the grips contour.

I followed up with fine sandpaper and oil, then finished off with Brasso to provide a smooth factory finish. A good rub down with CLP had the grip looking like I never touched it.

And here you have it.........the “Faux A1 grip!”

It might not please the AR purists, but it does provide more of the look I want, till I get a hold of a real A1 grip.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:09:19 PM EDT
Looks great. Why did we go to the A2 grip anyway?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:13:10 PM EDT
Looks good... It always amazes me how handy and resourceful arfcommers are.

- AG
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:17:01 PM EDT
That is a nice, clean job. Well done.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:19:53 PM EDT
That came out pretty good. The A1 feels a little bit more comfy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:21:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jquillen1985:
Looks great. Why did we go to the A2 grip anyway?

Didn’t have a choice, I’ve never seen a lower parts kit with A1 grip.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:22:29 PM EDT
www.mooremilitaria.com/prod03.htm

$5 for the A1 grip if you are still looking.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:30:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:
www.mooremilitaria.com/prod03.htm

$5 for the A1 grip if you are still looking.

Thanks Stickman.........saving to favorites!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:35:38 PM EDT
You 're not the first to do it.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/Bullitt3401/left.jpg

Did it a while back to my 6920...I can't stand finger swells on Glocks and I don't care for them too much on AR's, either.

Scott

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:42:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bullitt3401:
You 're not the first to do it.
Did it a while back to my 6920...I can't stand finger swells on Glocks and I don't care for them too much on AR's, either.
Scott

Sweet!

Well great minds do think alike!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:48:11 PM EDT
Good job.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:21:42 PM EDT
But it is till a A2 grip man, JK It does look great though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:11:37 AM EDT
Greta job. One of my favorite rifles and it just keeps getting better.

Now all you need is a slip ring to replace the delta ring.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:23:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 5:30:23 AM EDT by QUIB]

Originally Posted By Lancelot:

Now the slip ring too!

You fellas will never be happy!

I had an actual A1 grip lined up on the E n’ E. I IM’d the guy twice about sending me better pics but he doesn't answer back, oh well, his loss............so the quest continues!

Edited to add: Oh, and Lancelot............my name is not Greta.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:45:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By QUIB:

Now the slip ring too!

You fellas will never be happy!

I had an actual A1 grip lined up on the E n’ E. I IM’d the guy twice about sending me better pics but he doesn't answer back, oh well, his loss............so the quest continues!

Edited to add: Oh, and Lancelot............my name is not Greta.

Sorry Sally. I get all flustered when I post sometimes.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:56:55 AM EDT
I'm impressed by your handywork!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:02:05 AM EDT

Sorry Sally. I get all flustered when I post sometimes.

That's better.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:10:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LonghornAR15:
I'm impressed by your handywork!!

Ahhhhhhhh shucks, it was really nuttin. But like another member mentioned, it’s still an A2 grip.

And being that it’s still an A2 grip and not an actual A1 grip, along with the NEW fact (thanks Lance) that I now need a retro slip ring, I’ll never rest at night!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:23:14 AM EDT
Looks like I'm gonna have a pile of black plastic shavings on my work bench tonight.

I though about doing this before, but never got around to it. Thanks for the motivation, and good job on your grip.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:34:49 AM EDT
good clean peice of work , A1 job
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:40:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thezman:
Looks like I'm gonna have a pile of black plastic shavings on my work bench tonight.

I though about doing this before, but never got around to it. Thanks for the motivation, and good job on your grip.

Yea, today is my Friday....... guess this will be my little project for the weekend. I have like 3 A2 grips in the box to expiriment on.

Of course my rifle has a real A1 grip AND a real slip ring. (of course its still an A2 upper for another couple of days)

It never ends.....................

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:44:36 AM EDT

Of course my rifle has a real A1 grip AND a real slip ring. (of course its still an A2 upper for another couple of days)

So you did finally get a hold of an A1 style upper? Who’d you go with? And when are we gonna see some pics!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:50:03 AM EDT
I didn't realize genuine A1 grips were that hard to find.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:10:01 AM EDT

So you did finally get a hold of an A1 style upper? Who’d you go with? And when are we gonna see some pics!

Yes. I got one from a member here. Its in the air and should be here in the next day or two. Hopefully I'll get it mounted up this weekend. Unless it needs a coat of Norrel's first.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:11:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By _DR:

I’ve done a few Google searches with limited results, and since were talking surplus grips I’m kind of weary about internet orders. I did track one down on the E n’E which appeared to be in good condition. I IM’d the seller twice about getting better pics but he has yet to answer.

I'm in no hurry.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:21:29 AM EDT

I’ve done a few Google searches with limited results, and since were talking surplus grips I’m kind of weary about internet orders. I did track one down on the E n’E which appeared to be in good condition. I IM’d the seller twice about getting better pics but he has yet to answer.

I'm in no hurry.

Does it have to be an original surplus A1? I have a brand new A1 style duckbill grip that came with one of my J&T LPKs for some reason. Anyway, I have no use for it so if you want it, you can have it for free. Just let me know.

BTW - Nice work. I've been trying to get up the nerve to do that to my gen3 G19. I hate the finger grooves on that gun (don't fit my fingers) but I don't want it to look like a hack job either.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:02:29 AM EDT
I think www.jtdistributing.com has A1 grips for sale.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:37:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cgv69:
Does it have to be an original surplus A1? I have a brand new A1 style duckbill grip that came with one of my J&T LPKs for some reason. Anyway, I have no use for it so if you want it, you can have it for free. Just let me know.

Thanks for the offer, that’s really generous! But, yea, I’m looking for an original A1 grip.....I’m trying to keep this one as original “looking" as possible.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:39:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Darkest2000:
I think www.jtdistributing.com has A1 grips for sale.

The A1's are in the latest catalog, but not on the site.......that I could find. I might have to drop by the J&T forum and ask.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:41:21 AM EDT

I'm in no hurry.

BTW - Nice work. I've been trying to get up the nerve to do that to my gen3 G19. I hate the finger grooves on that gun (don't fit my fingers) but I don't want it to look like a hack job either.

Duckbills are cool. But I don't have any.

I just ordered a couple of A1 grips for $5 each from a dealer in Texas. They are out there if you look. And Northridge in California has complete furniture sets running $19 - $25, stock-triangular handguards-pistol grip. I have two of the A1 stocks, and a set of furniture I got from them. Pretty good stuff.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:43:37 AM EDT
Great job there Quib!

I'm surprised you can't find one at a local funshow. You front range guys have better shows than us out-west guys.

Billbo in EE has the non-tapered slip rings. I bought a couple for my carbine project last spring. Come to think of it at the time he had A1 grips too. Plus he's a real decent guy to do business with.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:32:04 AM EDT

Thanks for the offer, that’s really generous! But, yea, I’m looking for an original A1 grip.....I’m trying to keep this one as original “looking" as possible.

That's cool - Fulton Armory has them listed on their site

"Pistol Grip, A1, Used, Excellent - $5.95"

FYI - J&T distributing is who sent me the duckbill grip so if you call them, make sure that is not what they are going to send you if that is not what you want.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:48:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 10:52:35 AM EDT by _DR]
I seem to remember northridgeinc.com having original M16A1 furniture sets.

ETA Yep:

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:51:24 AM EDT

Correct. With the trap door butt stock, or the no trap door butt stock. $19.95 - $24.95 depending on type. Stock, pistol grip, and triangular handguards included.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:53:56 AM EDT

Correct. With the trap door butt stock, or the no trap door butt stock. $19.95 - $24.95 depending on type. Stock, pistol grip, and triangular handguards included.

I've ordered from them before they are OK to deal with.
Might need to pick up a set of these before they become trendy and disappear or the price goes up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:18:05 AM EDT
I just got two A1 pistol grips from Moore Militaria. They pretty much look brand new. I just ordered them on the 25th and they showed up today, the 27th.

Guess I need to build two more rifles now!

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:07:08 PM EDT
Quote from Lancelot:

What? No one's mentioned that he needs to replace the "bulls-eye" forward assist with a "tear-drop" forward assist? Is someone slacking????

By the way, real nice conversion work on your grip there, too!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:18:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By uxb:
Quote from Lancelot:

What? No one's mentioned that he needs to replace the "bulls-eye" forward assist with a "tear-drop" forward assist? Is someone slacking????

By the way, real nice conversion work on your grip there, too!

Yea I was kinda bumbed about the FA. The Bushmaster description stated that the A1 upper comes with the teardrop FA, mine didn't. I do have an A1 grip on the way off the E n' E. $15 shipped. From the pics the seller sent me it looks brand new and with out a scratch, which was what I was after. So, I think the price was right.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:37:27 PM EDT
Lookin' good!

Kind of an A1.5 grip

Benefits of the texture/grip of A2 but A1 styling.

CJan was giving away A1's a while back, so I scooped one up,
was the kind with the brownish "flecks" in it.
I, umm, wasn't sure if smoothing the nicks and painting it was "disrespectful"?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:17:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GhostRing:

I, umm, wasn't sure if smoothing the nicks and painting it was "disrespectful"?

Yes, yes it is.....
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:22:21 PM EDT
Well, is it any consolation that it is at least currently on a rifle that gets to go out and play pretty often?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:18:49 PM EDT
I thought I would give this a try. I liked it so much I modified the grips for both of my new builds. One will have a Colt M16A1 upper with a light weight barrel and the other will have a M16A1 upper with a 11.5" barrel.
Phessor

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:08:23 PM EDT
Dang, I did this 2 years ago.

Yours looks a better than the one I did.

My younger brother wanted to put an A1 grip on his M16 clone so I took an A2 grip to my vocational auto service class and used a bench grinder to do this exact thing.

Course, he didn't like it, and went and bought a used A1 grip at a gunshow a month later. I'll be damned if I can't find that grip now, though.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:12:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GhostRing:
Well, is it any consolation that it is at least currently on a rifle that gets to go out and play pretty often?

Thats the best type of rifle! I think the work done on the grips by those who have posted pics has been great. They have looked like factory jobs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:40:02 PM EDT
Nice work!

I actually like this "Faux A1" better than A1 or A2.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:41:08 PM EDT
Welp, Quib, you got me to do it too.
My Colt has an A1 on it, but my Oly arms had an A2

Excuse the background. The woman decided to make up the spare bed I use as a plain white background, and I was too lazy to tear it off.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:46:05 PM EDT
That looks great. I ditched my A2 for a hogue. I really didn't like the A2 grip.

I love your "magpuls" as well. All of my 30 rounders are like that. Black duct tape and para-cord is great,
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:19:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hunterex:
Welp, Quib, you got me to do it too.
My Colt has an A1 on it, but my Oly arms had an A2

usera.imagecave.com/Speer/crayonfun.jpg

Excuse the background. The woman decided to make up the spare bed I use as a plain white background, and I was too lazy to tear it off.

Looks great! Excellent job!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:58:29 AM EDT
There is a guy on ebay selling the M16, no trap door stock, in excellent condition, with a free A1 grip for 9.95.

I'll have to find the link again.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:15:25 AM EDT
I got my Carbine finished with the "faux" A1 grip. Here it is.
Phessor

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:43:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Phessor:
I got my Carbine finished with the "faux" A1 grip. Here it is.
Phessor

www.myfishingpictures.com/img/072889.jpg

www.myfishingpictures.com/img/072888.jpg

I saw that in another post, sweet looking weapon!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top