Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/15/2003 11:23:13 PM EDT
After 11 years of wanting, searching for, and reading about AR15's I finally bought and received my first rifle.  A Bushmaster XM15 M4 post ban (You know, the one with the fixed telestyle stock & the new "mini" Y compensator.)  I specifically requested (and had to wait a LONG time for) the A2 upper, as I didn't want the flat top A3.  I've checked this website out before, a LOT, as well as many other M16/AR15 sites.  I've viewed a few documentaries, read all the info I could, and today, Father's day 2003, I brought my dad, and my brand new M4 to the Kenmore Gun Ranges near Seattle, Washington today and shot it for the first time.

What a treat this was!  My dad brought his brand new Mini 14 with scope, and we had a great time.  Boxes & boxes of .223 and hours of good times.  Met some great people, (Busmaster, are you there?) and I totally enjoyed exactly what I wanted to, which is to sight in my new rifle sans any scope.  I'll never forget the kickback and sound of my first shot.  

I am looking forward to my first "plinking" experience with my new M4 blasting away at 75 cent blocks of ice (available at ALL grocery stores).

I've been fortunate enough to own a stainless steel Colt .45 Mark IV Series 80 since 1996.  I've shot my friends' AR15's and plinked with many of my pal's guns (handguns and rifles) but finally, Now, Today, I've shot my first AR15 and loved the experience incredibly!  To be able to bring my dad & pay for the whole thing was just great.  By the way, he's 69 and I'm 35.

There were a lot of sons & fathers at this range today.  Does anyone else have a good Father and Son shooting day on "Father's Day" story?

Anthony
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:49:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Let me say welcome to the board and congrats on the new rifle! [beer] Since you have been lurking around here for a little while you already know that this can become like a sickness. [:D]

I spent yesterday at the range myself. My son belongs to a 4-H youth shooting team and he had practice. So we shot at the rifle range for a few hours and then tried some skeet. Even though it was raining for the last hour or so we had a good time.

It is always a nice day when it is spent at the range. [:)]

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:51:12 AM EDT
[#2]
[wave] welcome aboard! [beer]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:53:54 AM EDT
[#3]
11 YEARS!
You sir, are a patient man.
Welcome to the addiction, I bet it won't be another 11 years before your next one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on the AR, and shooting with your dad.  My dad passed away in '97, but we used to go duck & pheasant hunting back in Oregon.  Good times.
On this Father's Day, my 28 year old daughter and I spent some time firing the M16 (she prefers the 9mm set-up, while I like the 7.62x39 11.5" bbl.) at our local range.  After 2 hours we went out for a late lunch.  I only wish my dad could have been with us.
-TriggerFish
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#5]
That sounds like an awesome fathers day!  My dad taught me how to shoot, and he was a Firearms safety instructor for his department, so he taught my firearms safety class when I was like 8(ish?).  We always went shooting together, and hunting too.  Now I live almost 12 hours away, and only see him on special occassions.  I know he has sold most of his guns.  Everytime I bring my family to visit him I bring a pistol (at least).  Last time I brought my AR and he got so excited, he remembered just starting using the A1 in Veitnam.  He asked if he could "store" it for me (I of course respectfuly declined).  I don't think his wife was to excited either, he asked me again when I was loading up the car to leave.

Not realy a shooting story, but you reminded me of what my dad and I had when I was younger.  Thanks for the story!

[Edited because I am forgetful]
Congratulations on the new gun too!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[wave] welcome aboard! [beer]
View Quote

Yep !!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Well hell mywar - get him an A1 style AR for X-Mas!  That'll make his day!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats... I own the same gun and love it although I use a larger model for match shooting. The M4's a lot of fun and what I'll grab first if I need to head for the hills.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like a great time. Welcome to the site!  [beer]

Eric
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:39:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Midiman?  Is that a reference to MIDI?  I use it all the time at home and at the studio.  That could be another topic.  ;)

I totally feel the same way about the M4..  I also have considered it my "run to the hills" gun, and that's one of the reasons I bought it first!  

But for now, it's for shooting paper, and blocks of ice up in the mountains.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow,

Thanks for the nice welcome and the stories!

If anyone's curious, pics of my new buddy are at my [url=www.anthonyjosephevans.com/gun]page.[/url]

No customizing this one.  I like it just the way it is.  Going to try to be as accurate as possible with this short, iron sited rifle!  Wish me luck!

Anthony
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry, just a test:

[url]http://www.anthonyjosephevans.com/gun/IM000428.JPG[/url]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Another test:

[img]http://www.anthonyjosephevans.com/gun/IM000428.JPG[/img]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top