Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 12:20:19 PM EST
I don't know about the rest of you but I've been waiting for a 1:7 twist mid-length barrel for some time now. I was just over on the EE and I came across this: Mid-length group buy

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:54:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/5/2004 1:55:04 PM EST by airgunner]
I just broke down and bought one of ADCO's RRA Chrome lined mid-lengths turned to an A2 profile. it is a 1/9 twist but this is only going to be a plinking gun so that's fine.

Considering he needs to sell 100 of them to make it happen, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:47:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By airgunner:
I just broke down and bought one of ADCO's RRA Chrome lined mid-lengths turned to an A2 profile. it is a 1/9 twist but this is only going to be a plinking gun so that's fine.

Considering he needs to sell 100 of them to make it happen, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Good luck

Well that's what everyone said about the Bushmaster barrel deal and I still received mine
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:24:05 PM EST
Any chance of 4150?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:16:42 PM EST
Kevin,
My first preference was 4150, but the only folks I've found who will do that are LMT. I can put an RFQ together for them, but I would need a little assistance on contours/measurements as they require me to submit a drawing. Also, their lead time to make something like this happen is like 18 to 20 weeks. Wasn't sure anyone would be quite so patient. However, if the general masses would prefer, I can pursue this route. In addition, the pricing would most likely be ~$100 more and I am unsure of their minimum order quantities as they were not very specific.

Let me know your thoughts and I can work on this.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:33:24 PM EST
Giff,

I am off to Afghan so I have no worries about lead times (unless it is over 6-8 months)

I (and I think) many folk would be interested in LMT midlengths.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:56:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By KevinB:
I am off to Afghan so I have no worries about lead times (unless it is over 6-8 months)

You stay safe man.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:12:48 PM EST
I'm holding out for a lite weight deal, which I haven't seem to see on sale or in a group buy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:31:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By MudBug:
I'm holding out for a lite weight deal, which I haven't seem to see on sale or in a group buy.

I think if enough vote for a lightweight that is what he'll order. I posted that I'd prefer a lightweight too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:53:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By M4arc:
Well that's what everyone said about the Bushmaster barrel deal and I still received mine

BM wanted a minimum of 200 before they would do that deal and if I remember correctly, they didn't even get 50? You guys just got lucky they they went ahead and did it for those who ordered one anyway. I don't see that happening with this deal.

Originally Posted By giffmann:
My first preference was 4150, but the only folks I've found who will do that are LMT. I can put an RFQ together for them, but I would need a little assistance on contours/measurements as they require me to submit a drawing. Also, their lead time to make something like this happen is like 18 to 20 weeks. Wasn't sure anyone would be quite so patient. However, if the general masses would prefer, I can pursue this route. In addition, the pricing would most likely be ~$100 more and I am unsure of their minimum order quantities as they were not very specific.

Let me know your thoughts and I can work on this.

- Now that is something I would be interested in - A LMT made, 4150, chrome lined, 1/7 twist, A2 profiled (light under the handguards) 16" mid-length (pre-ban of course)? Now that's a winner![:t] If you can make that happen then let me know.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:58:07 PM EST
Daniel Defense is supposed to be releasing 4150 1/7 twist midlength barreled uppers at some point this year. I believe they will be Gov't profiled. However, I am not sure whehter they will sell the barrels separately or only as complete uppers with their railed handguards installed. I wouldn't be surprised if these are being produced by LMT.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:43:07 PM EST
Curiosity just got the best of me:

How much MORE would y'all say a 4150 barrel is worth than a 4140 barrel, all other specs being equal? $10? $50? $100? $200? $300? Just trying to understand some of the community perceptions on barrel steels.

southern
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:02:08 PM EST
Remember I am a guy who bought a RO921 M4A1 - for about a $650 barrel when they were first available...
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:49:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By southern:

How much MORE would y'all say a 4150 barrel is worth than a 4140 barrel, all other specs being equal? $10? $50? $100? $200? $300? Just trying to understand some of the community perceptions on barrel steels.

southern

Hum...interesting question! I'd be willing to pay a little more but not much. After all, Bushmaster sells 4150 barrels for close to (if not the same as) RRA 4140 barrels and Bushmaster's 1:7 twist M4 uppers are almost $100 less than an LMT upper. I believe that Bushmaster's barrels are less than Armalites 4140 barrels!

Personally, the difference between 4140 & 4150 is so minor for the majority of us I can't see paying too much extra for a 4150. Maybe if I had a Class III but I don't. It's a nice to have type of thing because it's mil-spec (and we all want to be mil-spec) but will I ever be able to tell the difference shooting semi-auto at the local range? I doubt it.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:54:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By southern:

southern

I'd say not much more. Maybe about $25 over what RRA is willing to charge is the most I would pay. However, if you could match RRA's price or even beat, it I would be all over it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:31:29 AM EST
LMT midlength, medium or heavy profile, chrome lined, 4150 would be ideal.
However, I'd be interested in a RRA barrel too.

For those not interested and dont think this will happen, OK. Maybe it wont. Thanks for your thoughts.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:50:27 AM EST

Originally Posted By Hawkeye:
LMT midlength, medium or heavy profile, chrome lined, 4150 would be ideal.
However, I'd be interested in a RRA barrel too.

For those not interested and dont think this will happen, OK. Maybe it wont. Thanks for your thoughts.

Ditto
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:56:45 PM EST
I'm not concerned about the 40/50 steel at all. I will buy the 1st 1/7 mid length chrome lined barrel that I come across that is lightweight.

Assembled with an upper and one of DD's quad rails would be great.

Got to be light.

Also, a minor thing, but why is the bayo lug on all the mid lengths just a little bit farther forward than it needs to be to actually mount a bayo correctly?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:10:28 PM EST
LMT 16" mid-length pre-ban, light under the handguards, with a DD 9.0 forend? Yes please. I don't care what it costs, it's still cheaper than an MRP. i'll buy one! (or two)

4150-4160 whatever it takes.

Sean
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:14:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By SinnFein:
LMT 16" mid-length pre-ban, light under the handguards, with a DD 9.0 forend? Yes please. I don't care what it costs, it's still cheaper than an MRP. i'll buy one! (or two)

4150-4160 whatever it takes.

Sean

That would be a sweet setup and would probably be exactly what I build
Top Top