Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2006 1:08:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/16/2006 1:44:51 AM EST by tschiemer]
I received a new 20" Target barreled upper from Bushmaster last week, putting it on a totally Bushmaster lower, bolt, etc., off a complete rifle, and the rounds would not eject.

The bolt would travel back to about midway in the ejection port and stop. I fired 60 rounds, one at a time, for an hour and quickly saw it is not an issue with break in- cleaning, oiling, etc. during that hour, hand loading them into the chamber, and also in about 9 mags.

I went to my friend's shop for help, and he put a new Colt upper on it, using the same Bushmaster bolt we were using, test fired it, and it was perfect.

Either this barrel has a gas port or chamber that is out of spec, so I have it boxed up to ship back to Bushamaster for replacement on Monday.

I was pretty surprised to see this out of a new upper from Bushmaster. I have bought two Bushmasters in the last 30 days after having been out of the AR weapons for a long time, and have one as a 9 mm CAR, with an ACOG on it, which I love, and now want to get a 20" one to shoot. Hopefully it will not be long until I am running. I wonder how common it is to get a new bbl problem as I have here.

Robert

Update: I was using USA 55 gr and 62 gr

The 9 or so mags were a variety of USGI 30 round magazines, and 1 new Bushmaster 10 round mag that came with the gun.

I cleaned and oiled it as I do with any new gun.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:24:42 AM EST
Mine started doing that about 2000 rounds after i got it. somehow the gas tube was bent near the front sight post. Take your Handguards off and see if you notice anything.

Also what ammo are you using?
What mags? Check the feed lips (just incase)
Is it lubed up?

Could also be the gas key. I heard somewhere on here that bushmaster had a problem with their gas keys not being on the bolt correctly. I personall have never had that problem with any of my bushies

If in doubt send it back and make'em fix it or send you another one
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:21:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/17/2006 2:23:35 AM EST by faethor]
i have noticed a trend lately with Bushmaster making their chambers too tight, causing a number of problems. check the gas tube, FSB and it's alignment with the gas port. make sure the roll pin is in as well. you can try to send the barrel back to bushmaster, but expect a long turnaround time. good luck.

ETA: mic the gas port while your checking it and see if it's out of spec.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:24:20 AM EST
+1 on the gas key.

that caused a few fte for me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:24:37 PM EST
since we used the same bushmaster bolt and only changed the colt upper which cured the problem using a colt bbl, it could have not been the bolt, bolt carrier or gas key on this occasion.

bushmaster told me to anticipate a week from the time they receive it, so it wen tout today ups; and, i hope they are right on the estimated return!

thanks.

robert
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 1:01:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By tschiemer:

bushmaster told me to anticipate a week from the time they receive it, so it wen tout today ups; and, i hope they are right on the estimated return!

thanks.

robert

Just to let you know sometimes, that delivery co. has been known to lose a few here in Florida - S Tampa.
Top Top