Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/14/2006 8:13:07 AM EDT
Me & my wife packed a few guns to shoot this morning. Went to Hite Hollow, a national forest range, and had it all to ourselves. My latest frankenAR, an SP1 clone, needed a bit of left windage to get on target, but shot great. My home built AMD63 ran like a champ.The HK91 ran perfect and was accurate as hell as usual.Then we shot my wife's AR. I just finished building it for her. It is on a Rock River lower with neutered GI FCG & GI internals,Colt M16 slabside upper,Colt 16" lightweight 1/7 barrel,colt bolt carrier group,& a no-name old style tele-stock & Bushmaster handguards.

It ran great for about 60 rounds,then had a failure to eject. I could'nt retract the bolt very far so I had to wiggle out the empty. The bolt would still only come back about 1" or so. After breaking open the rifle I found that the buffer would only move back a little bit. After removing the buffer I found that it had come apart. The nylon bumper had come off & the weight came out, jamming up the works. It was a press fit into the body with no cross pin to retain it.

I put the buffer back together & we were able to shoot another 90 rounds with no problems.From now on I will have nothing but high quality buffers in all my guns. I'm glad this happened at the range & not at 2 o'clock in the morning while facing a threat.A buffer is another part that is to important to skimp on.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#1]
In the early 1990's I purchased a NIB AR made by a major manufacturer, I went out shooting and had the same thing happen. At the range I could not figure out the malfucntion, I went home and took the rifle apart, found the buffer was coming apart. I called the manufacturer and they sent me another buffer with the roll pin in it, never had any more problems.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'm glad this happened at the range & not at 2 o'clock in the morning while facing a threat.A buffer is another part that is to important to skimp on.

Yes- but the whole buffer tube for carrier return was just part of the problem in the design to begin with.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top