Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/20/2005 2:11:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 2:12:26 PM EDT by Thumpernator]
Today while at the range my M4gery was not extracting the fired casing. It happened about 5 times then I decided not to shoot it anymore until I could get home and look at it. Upon stripping the rifle, I couldn't find anything wrong. No parts missing or broken, nothing looking worn, the only thing I noticed was the extractor had some play in it. I didn't have another to compare it to so I dont know if its supposed to or not. It would do this at random too. It would fire great for 1 mag, then F up a couple times on the next, then work again.

Any ideas what might cause this?

Its a RRA upper, B/BC/CH with a Stag Lower. I do not know its history as I bought it used but I have put 700 or 800 rounds through and have never had a problem until today. Guessing by wear and tear, I would say its had several thousand rounds through it total. I was using Wolf and Remington ammo.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:21:17 PM EDT
Hey Yo, my new M4gery from DPMS is having extractor issues with only 250rds down the pipe. THis after I followed there wacky bore clean after every rd. for the first 10 rds, then I stripped it to clean it after 150 rds. fired approx. 100 today before the extraction malfunction ended my day. I stripped the carrier and no probs to be seen. Gun is clean and still as new and firing new winchester brass. So I regret to inform my family I was KIA for buying a cheap gun LOL Meanwhile, my son who I gave grief about for buying an AK47 is plinking away with zero malfunctions in his first 300 rds.

Thanks for any help. I will call DPMS on Monday.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:38:08 PM EDT
If the extractor has 'play' I would check to be sure that the extractor spring, rubber insert and extractor retaining pin are present and in good condition. If all of these parts are present and in good shape the extractor should pivot with resistance on the axis of the reatining pin. The extractor should NOT flop around like a screen door in a high wind.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:27:11 PM EDT
It doesn't flop but it does have some play, maybe a 16th of an inch. Ill strip it down tonight and see if the spring and gasket are there and in good order.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:49:36 PM EDT
I was having some FTE problems when I first got my DPMS. I read on here that a #60 rubber bushing from Ace Hardware placed around the extractor spring would stiffen it up and help it grab better. I tried it and it works. Plus it only costs $0.35.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:47:33 PM EDT
do you remember what size ring it was?

I was looking at a website that sells those for $12, I like your way better.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:52:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 9:54:02 PM EDT by IGoPrepared]
The inside diameter is just enough to fit over the extractor spring. It's about 1/16" thick maybe a little less. It made it so that I had to press down on the extractor about a mm before the pin would go in.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:03:34 PM EDT
Ill give that a shot. Hopefully it will fix the problem!

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:07:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:21:56 PM EDT
I had the same problem with my new Bushy M4gery. However, the problem didn't present itself until I put just over 200 rounds through it. After the first extraction problem occurred it would consistently fail to extract after 25-30 rounds were fired. After going through several thorough cleanings without results I decided to call Bushmaster. They said it was probably the extractor spring and they sent me a new one. The new spring appeared to be nearly 1/3 again the length of the original spring so I surmised that either my original spring was either the wrong spring, damaged or a manufactured defect. I put the new spring in and I've fired over two thousand rounds without a single extraction problem.
Top Top