Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/6/2006 10:58:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2006 11:00:07 AM EDT by CTKurt]
My AR is having a problem feeding Wolf ammo. It seems to be short stroking. It shoots Winchester fine but I want to shoot cheap ammo to save on range costs. I have a heavy buffer and an M16 carrier. Could I switch to a lighter buffer to make it easier for the bolt to push further back? What are my options? I would obviously rather try the easy ones first.
*edit* I have to say also that the blot is brand new and the upper has about 300 rounds through it. Could it be a break in issue?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:28:14 PM EDT
Wolf is notorious for being underpowered, so yes, a heavy buffer or M16 bolt carrier could be just enough to cause a shortstroke.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:29:28 PM EDT
Thanks for your help. I should just try the lighter buffer and maybe a lighter spring?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:50:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:59:24 AM EDT
^^Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:57:11 PM EDT
Wolf + extra power chrnome-silicon action springs = short stroking in my rifles. Wolf works fine with standard or reduced power springs, though...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:57:16 PM EDT
I had trouble firing wolf in a BRAND NEW upper once. Failed to feed on almost every shot and the FA was not helping much, the CH was a bitch to pull back too when a round was sorta jammed in the chamber half in and half out. The range I was at would not let me shoot any of my brass cartridges since they were FMJ.

I took the rifle elsewhere and fed it about 100 rounds of brass then tried a clip of steel cased wolf and it ran fine. Never adjusted anything or had a problem since with any brand. I guess it was just a little "tight" when new.

Might not be your problem but thought I'd throw that out there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:25:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2006 8:26:57 PM EDT by MudBug]

Originally Posted By M4Madness:
Wolf is notorious for being underpowered, so yes, a heavy buffer or M16 bolt carrier could be just enough to cause a shortstroke.

I used to think this was why people had problems with Wolf, but I recently built an 11.5" upper for my SBR'd lower that I normally use with my 5" 9mm.

The upper has am M16 carrier and using the 9mm buffer in the lower half I have no problems running Wolf ammo.

I just don't understand the problems people have with this ammo, it runs fine in all 4 of my AR's. Though I don't regularly run it in my RECCE, I have tried it just to see and it worked fine.

Maybe the + power buffer springs are more of a problem than heavy buffers, I guess I should buy one and see if it causes any problems with Wolf in any of my rifles.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:27:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:30:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2006 6:36:10 AM EDT by Essayons]

Originally Posted By MudBug:

I just don't understand the problems people have with this ammo, it runs fine in all 4 of my AR's. Though I don't regularly run it in my RECCE, I have tried it just to see and it worked fine.

Maybe the + power buffer springs are more of a problem than heavy buffers, I guess I should buy one and see if it causes any problems with Wolf in any of my rifles.

I think there's something to that. All of my ARs have 5.56 chambers. Two of them have USGI pencil barrels, and one is a Colt made M16A1 upper. None of them functioned reliably with Wolf or Barnaul when my lowers were new (i.e. before fully broken in) - again, all of them functioned 100% with XM193 and Q3131A.

I polished the chambers of the uppers well with Bore Bright and a cotton chamber mop, but that didn't help. Even after more than 1000 rounds of XM193 and Q3131A my ARs did not function reliably with Wolf or Barnaul.

Then, like a newbie, I pimped my ARs out with CS springs, including extra power CS action springs from Superior Shooting Systems. That didn't seem to make much difference in the lower with the rifle length receiver extension. Wolf and Barnaul short-stroked with about the same frequency. It definitely made things worse in my Cav. Arms Mk. II lower. It went from short stroking every 4 or 5 rounds on Wolf to short stroking every 1 or 2 rounds.

Recently, on a whim, I tried reduced power springs and viola! Every upper and lower combination now functions 100% on Wolf and Barnaul. If I use the original springs that came with my lowers, they still short stroke with Wolf and Barnaul, but maybe that would change with more wear.

I plan to use the reduced power springs for low-cost blasting, but will keep the CS springs for shooting Mil Spec ammo, bacause I like the way they make the action feel.

There's another $0.02 FWIW
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:33:02 AM EDT
I have been running a RRA carrier/standard recoil spring/h-buffer in my M4 and that combo seems to work fine for me.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:29:05 PM EDT
Where could I find a reduced power spring? i would like to try this first.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:20:52 AM EDT
Like all firearms when it comes to ammo you have 2 choices....either tune the gun to your ammo or buy new ammo.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:14:56 AM EDT
Wolf (www.gunsprings.com) sells reduced power springs. I'm sure there are other vendors as well. JP Rifles might sell one, too.

Swaping out the spring for low cost plinking is easy enough.
Top Top