Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 1/9/2005 1:40:20 PM EDT
I just built a 7.5" barreled pistol using a Bushmaster Lower, Fulton Accutron upper and B/C, Model 1 barrel and pistol buffer. I am using a Wolff 1911 recoil spring in the buffer, and idea I saw on this board.

The pistol was jamming due to the spring being to long, so I trimmed it a little at a time. It now feeds and ejects without any trouble. After trimming the buffer spring I started having failure to fire.
I am using Winchester USA brand ammo.

I believe the bolt is closing all the way. (someone just had to build using an upper without F/A). When the pistol jammed the bolt had enough force to dent the casings, leaving a nice impression of the feed ramps. So I would think there is enough force to fully close the bolt.

It is mud, ice and snow where I live so I can't make it to the range to really work with the pistol. I have been test firing a few rounds in my backyard. (Legal but it does nothing to help my relations with the neighbors ).  Just thought I would get a few ideas on what to look for until I get a chance to really blast away with it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:43:28 PM EDT
I apologize to the board. I just looked at the FAQ and saw the FTF checklist. Shouldn't have posted until I finished reading the FAQ. Sorry
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:37:18 AM EDT
I have the same exact build with the same problem. I bought the heavy spring and trimmed it, ended up putting in some washers because I cut it too short. Best I can get is last 5 rounds all fire with no problem. I have an extra spring but still think I have more issues other than that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:30:50 PM EDT
I took off my M1S buffer tube and replaced it with a CAR buffer (without the stock). I had 100% reliability with this setup. So I now know the problem is diffently with the pistol buffer. I built my own upper so there was some question about the gas tube being wrong etc.....

I trimmed the Wolff spring until I could get the bolt catch to work, but was still getting failure to eject. I trimmed the spring back some more and it now ejects but the bolt bounces against the extension. Which is causing my FTF.... I feel like a dog chasing his tail!

I ordered another recoil spring from Wolff and will give it one more try. I like the look of the pistol buffer better than the CAR. I might have to order a M231 buffer from DPMS. The spring should be here by the end of the week, so I can spend the weekend working on Operation Money Pit..
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:23:49 PM EDT
I've heard many have done the CAR buffer, looks stupid but works. I may go the SBR deal and forego all the bullshit, but it would be nice to know I had a AR pistol that worked with the short buffer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:37:55 AM EDT
if you want to get rid of that pistol buffer assy, drop me a note..

i'd like to give it a try... will be glad to see what it takes to get them workin properly.... i'm retired, and got little else to keep me busy....lol....
Top Top