Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2006 1:54:29 AM EDT
1. Can cold weather effect the ability for your rifle to cycle properly? IE, pick up the next round in a mag?

2. What is the advantage of using a Wolff Extra Power Action Spring? Does it improve the force at which the BC comes back forward? Are they BS or useful?

- rem
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:58:51 AM EDT
[#1]
FTF can be caused by 2 things:

1) Bad mag

2) Short stroking

Change mag to see if it still experiences the same prob. If so, check for short stroking.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:35:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's how it went:

Shot 160 rounds of Barnaul steel cased 55gr FMJBT. No problems.

Shot 60 rounds of Federal AE 55gr FMJBT. No problems.

Was using the same two mags I always use at the range and I've never had FTF ever.

Started getting real cold and windy... down to like 55

Last 4 (20rnd) mags of Federal AE 55gr FMBT all had FTF every 2nd or 3rd round. I'd have to pull CH twice to get it to go in. The round would be like a third of the way out of the mag.

I was wondering if the cold could have something to do with it...

How do I check for short stroking?

- rem
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:21:52 AM EDT
[#3]
No one has any advice???

- rem
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:31:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I shot this past weekend in about 30 degree temps with no problems of this sort.  I doubt it's the cold if it was just in the 50's.    

However, I'm still new to the AR and to this forum so I'm not positive on that.  I'm still trying to find the search function but I'll see what I can find on short stroking.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:41:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Let me get this straight; you think 55 is cold?!?  My friend, you need to spend some time outside of Florida...  Don't worry though, my finace is from West Palm and it took her a while to get used to non-vacation weather.

Anyway, "cold" weather (that just cracks me up) won't affect the AR15.  Niether will wind.  The short stroking could be an issue.  When was the last time you cleaned/lubed the BCG?  I've heard that the steel cased stuff has gummy primers like Wolf that could gunk up the bolt face (I've never used this type of ammo), but I doubt this would be a problem.  It sounds like it's a magazine problem.  How old are the springs?  Are they consistantly pushing all the rounds up to the feed lips?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:58:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Check to make sure your gas key isn't loose.  I had once come loose after about a hundred rounds because it wasn't staked on properly.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#7]
The reason I wondered if the cold would matter was because it started to become difficult to load those 2 mags with my LULA. It was like they would get really really tight in the mag and it would take a lot of pressure to push each round  down. I am using Magpul Enhanced Anti-Tilt followers (brown GEN 1) in them if that matters. I was only loading 20 in a mag at that point, but they felt really tight, and I thought maybe the cold had caused some spring problems or the mag to contract a bit.

I've never had an issue before with these mags but again it's always been hot weather. There was a 10-15mph gusty wind and it was like 50 something with the windchill factor.

Checked the BCG and everything while at the range and I could find no issues. Everything was fairly clean still  and lubed properly.  I only had those 2 mags and they worked fine up until that point at the very end.

- rem
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I can guarantee you it was not the "cold". I've shot in all kinds of temps from the high 90's to as low as -23F without problems. I've only ever had one FTFe and I suspect the magazine.

If your magazines feel heavy to load, it is very likely that you have some foreign object that hinders follower movement. This might prevent the follower from rising high enough for the bolt to catch the next round. I suggest you disassemble the magazines and check them for proper function.

If you find nothing wrong with the mags, it's time to check for cycling problems: chamber one round, depress bolt catch and fire. If the bolt locks back, you are good to go. If it doesn't, you either have a gas problem or something is slowing down the BCG. Perhaps an issue with the buffer or buffer spring. These are easy to check, so I suggest you do it.

Let us know what you find out.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I checked that I could fire one round and it always locked the bolt back on the empty mag. But every second or third round would jam up, it would look like it was maybe a third way out of the mag. I'd have to pull the CH once, then it'd go half-way out, then I'd pull the CH once more and it would properly seat in the chamber.

- rem
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#10]
What does him having gas problem have to do with the rifle, HEHEHE,

check the magazine lips and the forward part to see if there is burrs or dents, I assume you've already done that also as the other poster mentioned, check the gas key for loosnes good luck
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#11]
55 is really cold?  When it's 55 around here I have a T shirt on, my windows down in the car and on my way to the range because it's a great day to shoot.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
55 is really cold?  When it's 55 around here I have a T shirt on, my windows down in the car and on my way to the range because it's a great day to shoot.

No shit, I've been to PT in sub 10, and sub 5 degree weather a million times it seems.

Everyone else has said it; probably mags or loose carrier key would be my guess.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I just dunno how a gun can go from 100% working with the same two mags to FTF every few rounds. I checked everything I could and everything seems fine. I'm gonna try and get it to the range tomorrow for some more tests.

Could it be the ammo?

- rem
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#14]
55 isn't cold.

Yes sever cold can cause issues if the gas port isn't drilled right or if you're using marginal ammo.  But you're nowhere near that temperture point.

The problem could also be due to lack of lubrication, or an improperly seated magazine.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I say there's a 50% chance your gas key is loose.  Take the bolt out and see if you can wiggle the gas key at all.  If there is ANY play, you will be dumping gas at 10,000+ psi and loosing the necessary momentum to cycle properly.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#18]
You are not short stroking. your buffer spring just doesn't have the mustard to strip and chamber a round, especially when things get a little dirty from firing. I had to replace both of my buffer springs with wolff XP springs to get them to strip and chamber properly. My first build came with a really weak buffer spring so I used a wolffe xp to great effect.  My second build was stronger and probably spec but had trouble with first round coming out of a fully loaded 30. Wolff xp springs are a little to stout and can cause short stroking so I cut about 3 coils off and make sure I put the cut end inside the buffer tube. I now have no problems what so ever feeding rnds.   I'd  check for any binding of your carrier group and check your buffer and tube for any problems before changing out springs. Even with a few coils clipped off under powered ammo like wolf will short stroke with xp springs but everything else runs fine.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Is your rifle new? and I have shot in freezing rain in 10 degrees and the rifle worked fine although climate dicatates how its lubed but 55 degrees should be no problem...I wish it was 55 where I am.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I checked that I could fire one round and it always locked the bolt back on the empty mag. But every second or third round would jam up, it would look like it was maybe a third way out of the mag. I'd have to pull the CH once, then it'd go half-way out, then I'd pull the CH once more and it would properly seat in the chamber.

- rem

As mentioned, since your bolt locks at the last round, then SS would not seem to be your problem. The symptoms you speak off now could point to a weak buffer spring since you said that the bolt strips a round off the mag - although NOT completely.

Since I am from way way down south where we do not have winter weather, I cannot say if that kind of weather would affect the efficiency of a buffer spring. But regardless, do try out a different buffer spring and see if it makes a difference.

Like all other problems, these things are "fixed" by trial and error. Eliminating one factor after another. Just be patient with what you are doing and with the advices given to you. You will find / fix the problem soon enough.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Here's how it went:

Shot 160 rounds of Barnaul steel cased 55gr FMJBT. No problems.

Shot 60 rounds of Federal AE 55gr FMJBT. No problems.

Was using the same two mags I always use at the range and I've never had FTF ever.

Started getting real cold and windy... down to like 55

Last 4 (20rnd) mags of Federal AE 55gr FMBT all had FTF every 2nd or 3rd round. I'd have to pull CH twice to get it to go in. The round would be like a third of the way out of the mag.

I was wondering if the cold could have something to do with it...

How do I check for short stroking?

- rem

24° here with snow blowing at 6mph... These type conditions never caused any problems other than with the electronics...

55° shouldn't be a factor with your FTF trouble...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:23:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Next time you go to the range, take several magazines with you and see if that makes a difference. Also take a spare buffer spring and if you have a FTF, see if changing the buffer spring helps any.

How old is this gun? As a rule of thumb the buffer spring should be replaced after 6000 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the advice guys, the buffer spring I was using was brand new and was working fine all day up until that point. I have another new one and a bunch of other mags I will try once I encounter the issue again. I'll be heading out tomorrow possibly to test it out.

- rem
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top