Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/8/2003 8:21:42 PM EDT
I replaced a BF with an OF in an Adventure mag. It was a bit tight. I shaved it down a bit where there was rub marks made by the mag body. Still tight but I gave it a try. I underloaded loaded it with 19 xm193 and a winchester super X on top. First round went off fine but the 2nd jammed. I have narrowed it down to 3 things.
1. tight follower
2. short recoil caused by 223 on top
3. rough surface on interrior of mag.
I think #2 is unlikely because the bolt caught the cartrage by the body and not the face. Seems to me that the malfunction was caused by friction slowing down mag opperation. Anyone else had this problem? Also, how would you guys recommend smoothing the inside of a mag body. There is some extra metal left by the spot welds.
Thanks,
Ants  
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:29:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I've no clue what "BF" and "OF" happen to be, but the only Adventure [Line] magazines I've seen are all USGI 20 round and have an alloy follower which should never be messed with.

What ya got and what are you trying to do?

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:27:22 PM EDT
[#2]
BF= Black Follower
OF= Orange Follower (these are anti tilt like the green ones) Sorry for the confusion.

My mag is in fact an Adventure Line 30 rounder. It came with a a BF.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:34:46 AM EDT
[#3]
In my sheltered life I've never seen an Orange Follower that wasn't intended to feed blanks rather than ball cartridges.  There may be something in the Magazine FAQ regarding this, but it wasn't obvious.

The FAQ also notes that Adventure Line did make 30 round magazines for a short period of time in the early 1970s.  I've never seen one.  Standard magazine until the release of the M16A2 was 20 rounds.

My notes indicate the 1980s 30 round magazine is different from these, and the current 30s are different from those of the 1960s for sure.  1960s vintage 30 round magazines were prone to [i]follower hangup[/i] in the magazine body, just as you describe.  Only solution was to swap them with some REMF for the kool factor.

Only took one (1) follower hangup for me to discard all my '60s 30 round mags.  And the experience colors my impression of 30s to this day.  Nice thing about wetting your pants in the tropics is they dry quickly.  [;)]

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Troy,
I have read the GF FAQ, but it was a while ago, I will read through it again.
The mag in question is in fact a 30 rounder. I only underloaded it because I ran out of ammo.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top