Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 7:04:37 AM EDT
If I do a press check to verify I have one in the chamber, I'm likely to get a 'click', no bang, when I pull the trigger.

If I reload that round, it will fire properly next time.
If I don't do press checks, I don't have problems with 'click, no bang'.

What steps am I missing when I'm doing a press check to get everything reseated properly and back into battery ready for use?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't do a press check on the AR bolt.

Instead note where the round is indexed in the mag. after releasing the bolt, remove the mag and make sure the you have a new round at the top of the mag. Ie. if the index was on the right, if chambered properly you will have a new round on the left.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:52:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Instead note where the round is indexed in the mag. after releasing the bolt, remove the mag and make sure the you have a new round at the top of the mag. Ie. if the index was on the right, if chambered properly you will have a new round on the left.

Ok, approach change.   In the pistol world, I was taught to press check/chamber check, to make certain you have a round in the chamber.    How is this guarantee performed in the rifle world, if you say 'don't do a press check'.   Even Frontsight's practice guide makes reference to doing a chamber check

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Use the forward assist after you do it to make sure the bolt is fully seated.  I'm sure when you learned to do it on a pistol you also learned to check and make sure the breech fully closes afterward.  Same idea.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

This is an excellent technique for all double stacked rifle mags and is also taught for night ops. You don't need to see the rounds. Feel where the top round is in the mag, insert it, rack, release and feel the mag, reinsert it and make sure it is seated.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Just press on the forward assist (the only good use for the forward assist) and make sure the bolt/bolt carrier is fully seated after opening the breech.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just press on the forward assist (the only good use for the forward assist) and make sure the bolt/bolt carrier is fully seated after opening the breech.

+1

BSW
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1

This is what I was taught at FLETC.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top