Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2011 10:18:41 PM EDT
Hey all. Was putting my new DD 14.5 middy on my new build and was unable to get the pins all the way through. I put the in the correct direction but they just seemed a little to short. So I robbed some off a parts DPMS barrel and those pins were the right length but just a fraction to large on the small end. So I sanded the small in down just a little so they would drive all the way through the other side of the block. Question in have you all seen this before and any possible future problems this may cause. I sure had to pound the pins in not sure if it was the large side or the small side or both that had all the grip but they seem to be in the very snug. Just curious what you all think. Thaks again

Wheels
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:01:16 AM EDT
[#1]
How short?

you shouldn't need to hammer them home. since they are tapered pins they should form a solid fit .  they may not be engaging the whole taper after sanding them. was the fsb on there to begin with or did you drill and ream the holes your self. they only go in one way from one direction. the shorter pins were probably to make sure they sat below flush. they probably would have had plenty of surface contact with the barrel and fsb.

It could loosen over time if the tapers arent engaged properly or you could affect accuracy if they were hammered hard core and are putting extreme pressure on the barrel
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top