Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/26/2006 11:05:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/26/2006 11:07:21 AM EDT by TrijiCog]
I searched the archives,but I couldn't find a thread with the problem/question I have.

( Bushy 14.5" M4 profile post ban BBL )

I need to remove the FSB for the FF install,but the taper pins are mushroomed on both sides.I know I am supposed to knock them out from left to right,but both ends of the pins are factory mushroomed.For the life of me,I can't figure out how they were even PUT IN.I am a total amateur when it comes to this stuff,so maybe this factory mushroom effect is common knowledge.

Should I just take it to a gunsmith ? I really want to learn to do these things myself,but I don't want to fuck up a brand new BBL.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:08:21 AM EDT
Taper pins are rounded on both ends. I've never heard of any that were mushroomed to where the ends actually overlap the FSB like a rivet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:49:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/26/2006 12:07:13 PM EDT by TrijiCog]
Ya dude,they look like rivets.What do you think ? The bottom pic is blurry,but the pins look exactely the same as the top ones.

ETA: I'm stupid.I can see how they pop out,I looked at my other M4gery...it looks kind of difficult to take them out without fucking the pins up...

I don't think I am ready for this...LOL
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:38:17 PM EDT
They could be straight pins also. Just took the FSB off a Bushy and they were straight. I still go left to right for GP. Brownells sells a concave nose punch for starting pins like this. The punch is actually a 3/32 nail set. If your pins are not convex on the left side, someone was beating on them before, probably with a worn out punch. Good tools are critical for good work!

Here's my suggestion: you may end up taking some metal off the FSB, but that can be touched up afterwards. Use a Dremel or cut-off wheel to clean up the left end of the pins. After the mushrooming has been removed, the pins should drive out. I use the Brownells FSB support block, but a piece of 2 x 4 on a solid bench or concrete floor will work. The important thing is to make sure the force of the hammer and punch is going into the pins.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:22:02 PM EDT
I was about to say, just grind down the "head of the pins with Dremel and punch it from there .... that's until you said you wanted to use the pins again.

Does'nt your new gas block come with new pins?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:36:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TrijiCog:
Ya dude,they look like rivets.What do you think ? The bottom pic is blurry,but the pins look exactely the same as the top ones.

ETA: I'm stupid.I can see how they pop out,I looked at my other M4gery...it looks kind of difficult to take them out without fucking the pins up...

I don't think I am ready for this...LOL

Did you post pics on this thread? Several people have had good luck by using a bench vice to push the pins out. Try searching again to see if you can find the post in which Randall gave some really good pics of how to do this.

Gene
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:42:23 PM EDT
Saving the pins should be the least of your concerns at this point.

I'd also suggest you soak the pin area with Kroil or PB Blaster and let it soak overnight

If you can't get the pins out after all of that, maybe some heat from an electric soldering gun, then reapply the penetrating oil. Repeat as necessary.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:00:48 PM EDT
i tried all of the above suggestions (freeze, PB blaster, heat, big-A sledge hammer...etc)

in the end, all it took was a dremmel
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:15:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 6:16:30 PM EDT by TrijiCog]
After closer examination,I seen the pins were not mushroomed on both ends.I see the straight end where I am supposed to hammer them out through.I took the pics down because I felt like a stupid N00b(Which I am BTW) after seeing the straight end.

I tried banging on them for a bit last night,but they didn't move,and I was afraid I would mushroom the ends therefore resulting in a Dremel type fix.

I'm re-using the FSB,not getting a gas block.

I have some PB blaster,I might give it a shot before I pay someone to do it.I just can't see how the PB is supposed to penetrate down the length of the pin.

It's just frustrating because i want to learn to do this shit myself.If i could actually stand there and watch someone do it,that would be the best way.I just don't want to fuck anything up.It's almost like there is enough of the straight part of the pin sticking out,that hitting it with something really blunt to get it started might work.Then just use the punch the rest of the way...

Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:53:20 PM EDT
BIGGER HAMMER ! ! !

get a good punch, a BIG HAMMER, support the FSB with a block of wood and wack it HARD !

tapping it will mushroom it, pounding a time or 2 will nock them loose. Once you pop them free they just push out or fall out.

I just took mine off and it took 3 hits for 2 pins.

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:53:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TrijiCog:
I tried banging on them for a bit last night,but they didn't move,and I was afraid I would mushroom the ends therefore resulting in a Dremel type fix.

Make sure you hit them on the left side of the rifle, as they come out in the same direction as your takedown pins.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:18:03 PM EDT
And use a punch that is larger in diameter than the pin heads to get them started.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:24:49 PM EDT
Thanks for the tips..I sprayed some PB Blaster on it and going to let it set until tomorrow..See what happens.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:03:03 PM EDT
Ok,that was easier than I thought.I don't know whether or not is was the PB Blaster i sprayed on it every night,or the fact I used a 4LB hammer,but the pins came out relatively easy.Thanks a lot for the help so far..

Now..How the hell do I get the FSB off ? I thought it should just kind of wiggle out,but it seems that it's glued in or something,it's not budging.

Any hints on accomplishing this ? Do I need to take off the swivel as well ?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:23:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2006 5:24:05 PM EDT by thezman]
Swivel can stay.

Put some more PB Blaster under the FSB and try to move it side to side to loosen it up a bit.
Grab it at the top and try to spin it on the barrel.
Once it starts to move you can slide it off.

Tip: Lube or grease your barrel where the FSB will slide off. This will help to keep scratches to a minimum.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:48:22 PM EDT
Hell ya! I did it,I know it seems kinda wierd,but taking the FSB off motivated me.I sprayed the BBL down with WD40 and put the FSB in a vise surrounded by a rag.Then I used a rubber mallet and hit the BBL out!

More beer and now to put on the LaRue!!

Thanks again guys.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:44:25 PM EDT
4lb hammer ..... I said bigger hammer .....but ..... well if it works !

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:57:18 AM EDT
I am guessing the only reason the pins came out somewhat easy is that it is a brand new BBL.
Top Top