Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/3/2005 10:27:25 AM EDT
All the info on here says to drive them out from left to right.

On this bbl it looks like the left head is bigger than the right.  

right side

left side

So these should be driven right to left, correct?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Correct.  Brace the FSB, use a punch, and hit them hard.  Light tapping results in a mushroomed pinhead.  I have had a few that had pins coming from each direction...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Correct.  Brace the FSB, use a punch, and hit them hard.  Light tapping results in a mushroomed pinhead.  I have had a few that had pins coming from each direction...

I've got a punch ordered from Brownell's.  I tried using a nail setter- finally decided to quit & wait on the punch.

I did smack 'em rather hard w/ a 22oz hammer & the suckers did not budge.  I may have to get a *BFH* & wail on the pin heads.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Soak them with a penetrating oil, then hit them with a BFH.
A nail punch should work fine. Solidly support the fsb as Stickman said.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#4]
The crown is seen on a lot of barrels, so it cannot be limited to any one manufacturer.

Personally, I use an oversized, standard flat tipped punch and the BMFingH to get the pins started.  Then I move to the proper sized punch to drive them out.  IMO, a small punch has the possibility of slipping off and dinging your FSB.  Not that I give a rat's ass, but when you work on other people's stuff, they might have different priorities.  IMO, a large punch has no chance of slipping off of the taper pin, or at least that's been my experience.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top