Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2005 1:41:28 PM EDT
I am about to pull my hair out trying to pound the pins out of my front site base. Anyone have any tips, pointers or ideas? I really want to put it right back on when I get done, but I'll break the biatch and get a new one if thats what it takes.

Link Posted: 3/10/2005 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I use an oversized punch and a big hammer and I hit them very hard for the first couple of hits, to get them moving.  Once they are unseated and moving, I use the proper sized punch and a smaller hammer and tap them out.  Don't pansy around with the first couple of hits, all that will do is mushroom the ends and then you are FUBAR.

Oh, and BTW, make sure you are hitting the small end, because you can't drive the bigger end through the smaller hole on the opposite side.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I use an oversized punch and a big hammer and I hit them very hard for the first couple of hits, to get them moving.  Once they are unseated and moving, I use the proper sized punch and a smaller hammer and tap them out.  Don't pansy around with the first couple of hits, all that will do is mushroom the ends and then you are FUBAR.

Oh, and BTW, make sure you are hitting the small end, because you can't drive the bigger end through the smaller hole on the opposite side.

Yep, what he said, they are tapered, so make sure that you drive them in the correct diretion.  And just like he said, hit the MF hard to get it started.  Also, use a piece of wood to set the FSB and barrel on, so the FSB takes all the force from the hammer blows and not the barrel, if you get what I'm saying.  Goosd luck!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:44:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys! I was starting to eye the Dremel

All better now!
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#4]
A simple way to remember which way to drive the taper pins out--they go out in the same direction that your pivot and takedown pins do when you separate the upper and lower receivers.

In a recent armorer's course, we had 24 AR-15 rifles from various manufacturers, and only ONE SINGLE pin refused to budge. That means only one pin out of 48 didn't want to come out. We didn't have the means to heat it, or I'm sure that it would have come out as well. The others came out with a few strikes from a 16-ounce ballpein hammer and a 3 /32" nail set.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:48:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A simple way to remember which way to drive the taper pins out--they go out in the same direction that your pivot and takedown pins do when you separate the upper and lower receivers.

In a recent armorer's course, we had 24 AR-15 rifles from various manufacturers, and only ONE SINGLE pin refused to budge. That means only one pin out of 48 didn't want to come out. We didn't have the means to heat it, or I'm sure that it would have come out as well. The others came out with a few strikes from a 16-ounce ballpein hammer and a 3 /32" nail set.

That's great info.  Thanks, I'll remember that one!!!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top