Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 8:27:10 PM EDT
I've been gone from home for ten months and prior to leaving I oiled all my firearms with FP10.  When I returned, I checked them and not only was there no rust on them, they also still had a fine coating of oil on them.  They were stored in a gun safe but the safe didn't have any form of moisture prevention device inside (ie..dessicant or other system).

This stuff works!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree 100%.
Its passed all my rust tests and thats why I use it.Well its a excellent lube too.But corrosion is a huge issue for me here in the humid south,especially considering I sweat like a horse.
I particularly like the fact that it stays put and does not eveaporate off the weapons in storage in less than a month like other clp's.
Raymond
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I use FP-10 on all friction surfaces and then I spray eveything down with EEZOX .
No Rust .......... EVER !!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#3]
FP-10 failed my corrosion test miserably. Only CLP and ATF passed it (soaking protected nails in salt water then air drying them).

The way I see it, storing it in your home isn't going to cause rust to form unless you have an excessive amount of moisture.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#4]
In my rust test (salt water misting), FP10 was close to BreakFree CLP.  Both were very good at preventing rust.  However, CorrosionX was the best.

Here is the ranking from my test:
1. CorrosionX
2. BreakFree CLP
3. FP10

As a side note, here are two interesting things I found.
A) BullFrog is more "marketing" than real performance.  BullFrog is good at rust prevention, but FP10, BreakFree, and CorrisionX surpassed it.
B) Hoppe's No.9 is actually damn good at rust prevention,  After the volatile parts have evaporated, Hoppe's leaves a slight oil film.  This oil film is a very good rust preventative, on par with BreakFree and FP10.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

B) Hoppe's No.9 is actually damn good at rust prevention,  After the volatile parts have evaporated, Hoppe's leaves a slight oil film.  This oil film is a very good rust preventative, on par with BreakFree and FP10.

G35, do you mean Hoppes# 9 Solvent or Hoppes# 9 oil?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Hoppes# 9 Solvent.

No. 9 is a mixture of volatile solvents and an oil.  After the volatile solvents evaporate, the oil remains behind.  Granted, the percentage of oil is small in No. 9 solvent, but enough oil is left behind if you do not wipe off too much of the solvent.

This is only for academic discussion.  I do NOT recommend using No.9 solvent as a protectant.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top