Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/18/2008 3:53:06 PM EDT
I just got my first rifle in 5.56 today, I'm an AK guy for the most part.  Anyway I picked up my FS2000 today and bought the last couple boxes of Portuguese ammo they had in the store, and out of 40 rounds 10 of the rounds are too long to fit in the freaking magazine!  Is this normal?  Is Port ammo just junk?  Anyone else had this happen or is there something I'm not seeing here?

You can see a notch the projectile on the rounds that are too long to fit in the magazine that the other rounds don't have visible because they're under the neck of the cartridge.  I can provide pics, but it's going to be a bit difficult.  

[>:/]
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, that's a new one on me. I had about 300-rds of the Port FNM stuff and it worked A-OK. That ammo has not been around in a LONG time and it's strange that someone would still have it in stock somewhere. Maybe that's why it was still around since it was sub-par?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wow, that's a new one on me. I had about 300-rds of the Port FNM stuff and it worked A-OK. That ammo has not been around in a LONG time and it's strange that someone would still have it in stock somewhere. Maybe that's why it was still around since it was sub-par?

The shop I got it from takes in trades a lot, you see people trading off the guns they had sitting around and the ammo they had for it pretty often.  It was in sealed boxes, I couldn't find anything about Port ammo browsing here which is why I asked.  If it hasn't been around for awhile I guess I'm not too concerned about running into it again.  Definitely on my "to avoid" list along with indian 308 ammo, though.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]
My FN 5.56 fits perfectly in the mags, bad lot, bad mags or reloads??? These are boxer prime.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have some mexican FNM 72-7 ammunition and also had a problem with loading in usgi magazines. they did however load just fine in my pmags. I'm wondering if it is safe to shoot in this condition.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have some mexican FNM 72-7 ammunition and also had a problem with loading in usgi magazines. they did however load just fine in my pmags. I'm wondering if it is safe to shoot in this condition.

That's exactly the headstamp I have.  72-7.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just got my first rifle in 5.56 today, I'm an AK guy for the most part.  Anyway I picked up my FS2000 today and bought the last couple boxes of Portuguese ammo they had in the store, and out of 40 rounds 10 of the rounds are too long to fit in the freaking magazine!  Is this normal?  Is Port ammo just junk?  Anyone else had this happen or is there something I'm not seeing here?

You can see a notch the projectile on the rounds that are too long to fit in the magazine that the other rounds don't have visible because they're under the neck of the cartridge.  I can provide pics, but it's going to be a bit difficult.  

I had the same problem.  I bought some Portuguese ammo a few months ago at a gun show, and when I loaded some up in my mags, about 15% would not fit!  The mags aren't the problem; it's the ammo.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had the same problem.  I bought some Portuguese ammo a few months ago at a gun show, and when I loaded some up in my mags, about 15% would not fit!  The mags aren't the problem; it's the ammo.

were you able to safely shoot any of it?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly the headstamp I have.  72-7.  

yeah that's Mexican, not portuguese.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never shot any of it.  I brought it back to the vendor and showed how it would not fit in my mags (good mags), and exchanged it for other ammo.  I didn't want to risk shooting that ammo; I'd like to keep myself and my m4 in one piece.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never shot any of it.  I brought it back to the vendor and showed how it would not fit in my mags (good mags), and exchanged it for other ammo.  I didn't want to risk shooting that ammo; I'd like to keep myself and my m4 in one piece.

yeah im thinking about returning my 300 rounds. I polished it up using my friend's ammo tumbler. looks decent now but I'm still afraid to shoot it. Esecially out of $3,500 AR-15.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I've shot shitloads.  Of course I had to load them into pmags, cause they didn't fit in my usgi mags.

No probs after many hundreds of rounds.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I returned the rounds and payed a couple bucks extra to get some Winchester.  I found some thinner AR mags would load some of the rounds my FN mag wouldn't take, but I still don't like the idea of shooting rounds that have such variation amongst them, they almost CAN'T be accurate.  I never saw such poor QC on even Wolf or Bear ammo.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've shot shitloads.  Of course I had to load them into pmags, cause they didn't fit in my usgi mags.

No probs after many hundreds of rounds.

hmmm ok.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top