Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2005 3:06:54 AM EDT
Hey guys stiil a newb..
I have been running into alot of non fmj ranges around here. Im sure this is in the ammo oracle but I cannot find it forgot where it is..

Anyways my friend asked me the diffrence. I could not tell him? Then when I try to find non fmj ammo I cannot find it.. Sorry for such a dumb question I just do not know.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Question number six in the Ammo Oracle:

What is FMJ.....

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I just do not see how the fmj can cause that much more damage to a range?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just do not see how the fmj can cause that much more damage to a range?

Neither do I, as long as it is not steel jacketed.   Probably an insurance liability thing.

Frustrating isn't it?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Some ranges to a magnet test, separates out the steel core stuff that can damage their backstop.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:59:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Im finding it tough to find ammo that is not FMJ..
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Here ya go:

Geogria Arms

Try the ballistic tip  ammo.  It should feed well, and the tip will hold its' shape like  FMJ ammo does.  The soft point stuff is probably OK too, but you might notice a little lead being shaved off of the tip of the bullets as they are fed into the chamber. It's reloaded ammo (I've never tried it), but they have a good reputation.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Or hell, use the Wolf HP if it will function for blasting.. No, it's not really any better than the FMJ, but the rules is the rules
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#8]
FMJ (full Metal Jacket) are copper (metal) jacketed bullets that completely encase a led core minus the base.

TMJ (total Metal Jacket) eompletely encases the lead in copper.

The best way to tell a FMJ bullet from a non FMJ bullet is to look at it.  If the proectile is visibally all copper and no other materials (IE hollowpoints or polimer tips) than it's a FMJ.

Or you can look at the name,
BT (balistic Tip)
HP (hollowpoint)
SP (spire point or Soft point)

Hope this helps.

Note :
I have yet to start reloading.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Some ranges to a magnet test, separates out the steel core stuff that can damage their backstop.

Our range's backstop is a forested hill.  Works pretty good.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our range's backstop is a forested hill.  Works pretty good.  

No tracers I bet!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top