Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/5/2003 6:33:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2003 6:35:17 AM EDT by FED-up]
Any of you guys ever use this stuff? If I recall correctly it's composed of lanolin (sheep's wool) - with no solvents.

I got turned ont to it by a bunch of comptetitive trap shooters when I was back east a couple summers ago - where rust is just indescribable.

It is definitely a lubricant, probably not a replacement for Break Free CLP for AR's/modern combat weapons. But I would use it in a pinch - not a problem.

What I really like about it is for taking care of old shotguns (like your favorite old police "riot guns" that have wood stocks) is that the formula doesn't harm wood. Not even bare wood (rubbed oil finishes). In fact, it's actually GOOD for the wood.

For those of us old farts who think shotguns look BETTER - PROPER, with wood stocks. It's just a handy tool for the cleaning kit if you have to be somewhere wet.

Any of you guys ever try it?
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:42:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2003 4:44:53 PM EDT by James_Gang]
The problem with animal or vegetable based lubricants is they don't handle heat or cold particularly well. They also have a tendancy to harden and thicken over time, and attract foreign matter. Once dried and mixed with carbon, etc..... this stuff turns into a hardened goo, and is almost impossible to completely remove. In my opinion, you're much better off with a engineered petroleum or a synthetic based lubricant.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:28:39 AM EDT
Johnson's paste wax will also do a creditable job of protecting gunmetal and wooden furniture, especially if you're going to be taking the gun into the field. For guns that will be spending a lot of time in the back of the safe, I wipe on a good thick coat and leave it on there without wiping it off.
Top Top