Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/19/2003 7:05:05 PM EDT
I have no problem understanding why a FF'd barrel should be more accurate.  I do have a problem with spending the extra $ for what may only be minimal gains on the rest or in the field.

Can anyone weigh in on this topic? I too share the philosophy "better to have and not need than to need and not have...".  Can anyone mention how tighter their groups have become after this upgrade?  

I own a BM DCM rifle capable of 1/4 moa.  I want to add a carbine upper to my collection. Thinking about free floating.  Worth it or not?    
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it is worth the added expense, if it won't make you broke.  I free-floated my 1:9 16" HBAR with a RASII and there is a noticeable affect on accuracy and cooling.  I couldn't tell you any quantifiable accuracy gains, as I still have a stock Colt trigger that is really creepy.

As far as hardware goes, IMHO the RASII is THE best option for a FF tube.  It is easily installed at home, removable if you desire to do so in the future, light weight, is rock solid, and it's made by Knight's who is the trendsetter in rail fore-ends.

Just my opinion, ymmv.

Josh
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:34:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 16" Bushy 1/9 HBAR. I regularly shot 1.5" to 2" groups at 100yds from the bench using SB SS109.

Switching to a Knight's Free-Float RAS system immediately (first time out to verify the sights) cut that to about 1"-1.5" with the same ammo and distance and my groups have consistently remained lower ever since.

However, there aren't too many non-benched positions I shoot from where I am stable enough to appreciate the extra 0.5" at 100yds, so the shooter may be a limiting factor.

Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:24:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Free floating does improve accuracy.  There are cheaper options (like the FIRSH) than the RAS or SIR if you're on a budget.

A more accurate rifle is always preferable whether or not you are bench shooter or if you are a decent shot or not.

Just Examples:

FF with good shooter = .25 moa

Non-FF with good shooter = .5 moa

FF with bad shooter = 1 moa

Non-FF with bad shooter = 2 moa

Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Colt pre-ban that has the heavy aluminum tube that freefloats... it's gets too hot to touch after about 50 rounds.

I'm replacing it with a RAS or RAS2 soon.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#5]
If you just want to free float the barrel, you can find tubes for as little as $60.  These don't have the rails (and cost) of a FF RAS or SIR, but provide the same performance improvements.  At least I've never heard of one free floated handguard being more accurate than another.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 8:24:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a Colt pre-ban that has the heavy aluminum tube that freefloats... it's gets too hot to touch after about 50 rounds.

I'm replacing it with a RAS or RAS2 soon.
View Quote

A FIRSH is aluminum (with slots cut in for cooling) and with rail covers is quite comfortable to hold even after heaving shooting.  Only $99
[img]http://the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/FIRSH2.jpg[/img]

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top