Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 7:53:38 PM EDT
For me and all other newbs, could someone please explain exactly what is used in making a ff bbl configuration?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]
OK
Thank You. How does this improve accuracy. Theoreticaly your just changing the handguard right?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
It removes stress on the barrel and allows harmonic resonance of the barrel to happen w/o disruption. Not all barrels will benefit from free floating but most will. All barrels vibrate when fired. When this is dirupted by something touching the barrel the harmonics are changed. Extreme accuracy is achieved when the barrel releases the bullet from the muzzle at the same point of harmonic vibration shot after shot. Hope I didn't muddy the water to much.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#4]
The Idea is that you remove forces applying pressure to the end of the barrel, like a tight sling pull or resting it on something, or that the "barrel harmonics" while launching a bullet are unaffected, thereby producing a repeatable POI (point of impact).  

I speculate that this is only measureable under laboratory conditions with my 6721 HBAR, but a 20" pencil may be a different story.

The other effect they have on accuracy is that the cost of them is so freakin much that you do not have money to spend on  ammo and therefore shoot slow and aimed
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The other effect they have on accuracy is that the cost of them is so freakin much that you do not have money to spend on  ammo and therefore shoot slow and aimed

Not all FF tubes are expensive. If you want cool factor then you will pay for it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#6]

It removes stress on the barrel and allows harmonic resonance of the barrel to happen w/o disruption. Not all barrels will benefit from free floating but most will. All barrels vibrate when fired. When this is dirupted by something touching the barrel the harmonics are changed. Extreme accuracy is achieved when the barrel releases the bullet from the muzzle at the same point of harmonic vibration shot after shot. Hope I didn't muddy the water to much.

No great explaination. Thanks to all of you.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top