Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2005 4:14:38 PM EDT
Do I need an FFL to buy an AR15 from BushMaster or Rock River?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:32:06 PM EDT
Who ever the rifle is shipped to must hold a valid FFL.Talk to your local gunshop,they'll do it .....for a fee of course.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:34:10 PM EDT
If you can find a Bushmaster or RRA in a local sale, most states do NOT require an FFL's invovlement in face-to-face sales between private individuals from the same state.  (Obviosuly, check local laws - ask in the hometown forums)

But, if you want a NEW factory rifle from BM or RRA, it will definitely have to go through an FFL.  Either buying from a shops inventory, or an FFL who will receive one that you order from out of state and get shipped to his FFL so he can transfer it to you (for a fee).
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:34:26 PM EDT
Cool...Great I thought I had to have the FFL to own it.... Thanks...
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:41:40 PM EDT

Cool...Great I thought I had to have the FFL to own it.... Thanks...

I'm not an expert on MI laws, but in general (in most states - except CA, NY and a few others) the only requirement is to be 18 and not a felon.

If you buy from a dealer or get it shipped to an FFL, you'll need to fill out the 4473 form (and go through the instant background check - which usually takes a few minutes).  The form invovles things like not being a felon, not being a fugitive from justice, not being an illegal alien, not having been institutionalized for being crazy, etc.  

As long as you meet those criteria, you'll be fine (unless there's something unusual in MI law I don't know about)
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:48:04 PM EDT
Thanks for all the quick replys...I know I could come to AR15 for the answer....Thanks again..
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:54:36 PM EDT
While all the above is true, in my limited experience, cost wise I think you would be better off buying the whole rifle from one of the dealers on the board then eating the $20.00-$30.00 bucks to have your local dealer FFL transfer it to you.

I think you can bring the cost down further by buying a separate complete upper and lower, have the upper shipped to you, and the lower to the FFL for transfer.

I did this recently, bought from the local dealer in part to say thanks for the help he provided, and to support the local shop, even though it was a bit more.  On my second AR, I just bought separate RRA complete uppers and lowers for about $150 less than the origial Bushy.

Hope that helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top