Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2005 9:22:16 PM EDT
I just received my ffl forms, from batf, it only took five days, that was a suprise, from all that I have read about batf.  I am a firefighter, and the Capt. of our shooting team for the Sotheastern Police and Fire games, we are working on building our own AR's, I also own a convience store, and in the future plan on building a larger store, with three additional store fronts, I am also incorperated,    now the questions,   Do you have to have a store front to have a ffl,  Do you have to be a dealer? can you use your home as a store front?   I want the ffl to be able to buy parts for our guns, now.     In the future it will be for a gun store I plan on opening in one of my additional store fronts.    I know this is not exactly about build advice, but the ffl is for builds,  THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP, HINTS, OR ANY ADDITIONAL ADVICE  TREEMAN
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't need an FFL to buy gun parts, only the actual firearm, the reciever.
In the case of an AR15, it would be a lower.
This is what you need the FFL to buy

Link Posted: 11/27/2005 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply, I realise, that the lower receiver is the only ffl part, but we are going to build several AR's , and I would really rather handle the transactions myself, also I enjoy doing the builds as a personal hobby, thats why in the future, I will open my on gun store,  FIND SOMTHING YOU LOVE TO DO AND MAKE MONEY AT IT!  and even in the short term it will be cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]
There are plenty of people using FFLs out of their house.  It was many more before the prices on the FFL were raised.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#4]
been doing some talking on another post, I think, I can make a go of it out of my current store without to many probs, thanks for the reply!
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Might want to check, but I thought BATF now requires the FFL to be done in a location dedicated to the business and zoned for such (read out of your house no longer allowed).

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 7:03:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Always glad to help out a fellow Smoke Eater!

I have a Class 3 (Curio & Relics) FFL.  While not as all encompassing as a regular "dealers" FFL, I have to read and live by the same Reg. Books that dealers do.  That being said...

If you are in possesion of a Dealers FFL, the License (or a copy of the License) must be openly displayed.  You are required to have actual POSTED business hours.  And, I do believe the building you are working out of does have to meet local Zoning requirements for that particular business.  

While you received your initial paperwork in a few days, be assured, that will not be the case as the BATF examines and considers your application.  This could take anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months.  A word of advice (from experience) when filling out all the paperwork take it slow and be sure you understand each item.  Even if one slot is answered incorrectly you have to start the process, for all intent and purpose, all over again.

I hope this helps you out, and be safe on scene.

Regards,
Pat G.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey, I ate a little  smoke this sat in fact,  go back for some more tomorrow, thanks for the help, I have talked to several people since I  posted, and it seems that I can use my currrent store, and corp. I was told that, if in the business you have an alarm, and a safe you would be ok, I do have an alarm, and a huge safe, that should cover it, it is also inthe county so I don't have too deal with the city codes, we are talking about Alabama, you can usually do business in anythting, if you are a business(MAKE SENSE?)   Once again the guy's @ ARFCOM COME THROUGH PoST WAIT A FEW MINUATES AND ALL YOUR QUESTIONS GET ANSEWERD, THANKS  ALAN.               i AM SURE THAT AS i FILL IN THE BLANKS i WILL HAVE MORE   ?'S         Stay safe, and watch your buddy's back,  Sta1treeman
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Might want to check, but I thought BATF now requires the FFL to be done in a location dedicated to the business and zoned for such (read out of your house no longer allowed).

That is half true. If your county or city allows a home-based retail business, ATF will issue an FFL for your home.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#9]
You don't need an FFL to buy a lower receiver.

Go to your local gun dealer,  ask him to order you a stripped reciever(s).  Unless you're planning on becoming a dealer yourself.  I don't see the point of getting an FFL just to build some rifles.

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#10]
IF you read the entire post you would have seen that I do plan on owning my own retail gun store, but until the four acres of property, and about 1mil, in excavating, and building are complete, I want to go ahead and get my ffl. Thanks for the reply
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Type 07 FFL and I am working out of my house.

When the ATF came out to do my interview, they said no problem.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#12]
How do you verify a ffl?

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
How do you verify a ffl?

Visit the following link: https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

-WuMagic
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#14]
What is the likelyhood of one being able to obtain a FFL License to run out of their house? Do alot of people obtain FFL Licenses for personal use?

-WuMagic
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Last I heard, having a FFL for personal use was a NO-NO.  But then again, it was what I heard and it wasn't from BATF..........course, what I heard could be more accurate than anything from BATF......
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Last I heard, having a FFL for personal use was a NO-NO.  But then again, it was what I heard and it wasn't from BATF..........course, what I heard could be more accurate than anything from BATF......hr

LOL ... So true :-)

-WuMagic
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How do you verify a ffl?

Visit the following link: https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

-WuMagic

ty
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top