Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/17/2017 3:21:34 AM EDT
Hi all,

I know this isn't the manliest thing to ask, but, since I'm pretty color blind and my wife isn't wont to advise me on rifle coloring, I just wanted to ask--and I know this has been discussed and there are numerous picture threads around the internet, but please don't flame... I can't really tell the difference between FDE and OD.

If you had to do a new build, what would your preferences be for a not-all-black scary rifle? Single color? Mixed black and FDE/OD? All three? And which components, if you mixed colors, would choose any specific color of the common three and why?

Thanks brothers,
Tom
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the same boat. The difference is I have asked my GF to help. Out of all the pics I've showed her she picked Burnt Bronze because "it's the prettiest".

I'm building a rifle with what you mentioned. OD, FDE and black will all be included. Once the parts get back from Cerakote I'll post a pic but it's been a long wait due to their big sale.

Your deciding factor should have a reason. Terrain is the most obvious but my rifles/mags are color coded for caliber as well. I don't want to grab the wrong mag and end up with a face full of metal. I also have black, UDE, foliage, OD and FDE.

Oh, I'm also doing one in Burnt Bronze.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Black rifle with OD furniture. I like OD though.

FDE receivers and barrel with OD furniture and controls looks bad ass, but it's a little too much for my taste.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If you had to do a new build, what would your preferences be for a not-all-black scary rifle?
View Quote

God forbid I had to do a new build , I would mix it up, but why stop with just black, OD,and FDE?  You should throw some foliage green on it, too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#4]
FDE seems to be the most popular. I built one years ago for a hunting rifle but have come to like OD green alot more since it actually blends in with the surroundings in my area.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I FDE everything but about a yr or two ago I discovered Foliage is the best for my local environment - which coincided with Magpul's deletion of it

UDE would be good also but Larue's grip and stock just feel wrong, now if Magpul would start making all stocks, MOE+ and MIAD in UDE (and Foliage)
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I FDE everything but about a yr or two ago I discovered Foliage is the best for my local environment - which coincided with Magpul's deletion of it

UDE would be good also but Larue's grip and stock just feel wrong, now if Magpul would start making all stocks, MOE+ and MIAD in UDE (and Foliage)
View Quote

I don't like the Larue stock. If it would have been designed to accept the RISR I'd have been a fan. The grip on the other hand is perfect IMO.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

My ar's are either all black or black/od green. Black upper/lower receiver. OD stock/grip/rail covers or moe hand guard.

FDE is ok, but too common and it really makes no sense where I live.

I accidentally picked up some foliage green rail covers that made me wish I had done the rest of the rifle in FG. Liked it a lot better in person than I do from the pictures on the net.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:59:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I did a "Misfit" build as I liked to call it. Wolf Grey buttstock, foliage green pistol grip, of green magpul hand guards, and a black vfg. I liked it. Wish I had a pic to post :/
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Stealth Gray.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Cerakote receivers and rail with black furniture is something I've grown to like.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm with this guy.  I have an Armalite service rifle with OD furniture and it looks great.  I hate the look of FDE, personally - looks like baby poo.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Black was and always will be cool but it's everywhere.
FDE is a neat modern "military" look but it's everywhere too.
OD is a neat choice, not "tacky" and is uncommon.
Gray....meh, looks too "sneakerish". And I'm just not a big fan of gold, chrome, bronze,and "metal" colors but that's just me. I think camo'ing the whole rifle to match is where it's at. I personally like the look of "digital" camo either in multicam or urban camo ( black white and gray combo).
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I like OD/black. Very attractive combination, but so is FDE/black.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#14]
When I built my first two rifles, I was concerned with color and finishes as well. Then I got over it. They call them black rifles for a reason.

No matter what the color is, your rifle will be scary to the people who are scared by guns.

Do what makes you happy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Quoted:

FDE receivers and barrel with OD furniture and controls looks bad ass, but it's a little too much for my taste.

I tried both the OD and the Stealth Gray and both were darker than expected.  Cerakoting a whole gun in those colors might work.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I just finished an OD and black and love it, plus for my area still will pretty much blend in during hunting season. I went with all magpul furniture.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#17]
My next two builds are going to be non traditional.  Aero FDE upper and lower, red buffer tube, hogue FDE/black rubberized stock, black BCM KMR rail with a mix of black and FDE keymod covers, Black hogue grip, and the parts that set it off, anodized red parts for the upper and lower, excluding the LaRue MBT.  Thought about painting the 18 inch  predatAR barrel red as well, but not sure how that will affect it.

I am also getting parts in for a blue version built a similar way on a black receiver set.  Just wanted to do something different.  Most of the red and blue stuff is of a STRIKE industries flavor, with a mix of Seekins Precision with the triggerguard and red ambi safety selector.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top