Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/29/2007 8:57:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2007 6:03:23 AM EDT by BushmasterGuy77]
I would like to build a FDE Rifle and I'm not sure which Stock to get.

Which one would you take and why?

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:58:58 PM EDT
SOPMOD

it just seems more...right.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:42:44 PM EDT
The E-Mod is easier to shoot from the prone, and I like the clubfoot as an option to grab when shooting from a bench or other surface.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:53:27 PM EDT
The EMod for the above reasons, and that it's a LOT more durable.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:13:31 AM EDT
which one locks up better? The VLTOR seems to use a nicer buffer tube as well...
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:32:45 AM EDT
SOPMOD.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:21:47 AM EDT
I think the Vltor stocks are ugly.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:52:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2007 4:54:12 AM EDT by 50UNIT]
EMOD EMOD EMOD!!!!!!!

I have both. I have used both. The VLTOR EMOD is obviously better. This is my personal preference, but anyone I know that has compared both feel the same.

I feels much more solid. The rubber pad on the butt grabs better. The angle of the butt plate is more natural and shoulders easier when coming up from low ready. The butt also has a steel strike plate under the rubber. Overall it just feels much more secure, solid and natural when firing or shouldering.

Note, I was NOT a VLTOR fan at all before I got my EMOD. I actually didn't want the EMOD, but had to take one anyway, now I love it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:29:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2007 5:31:30 AM EDT by FMJ]
I havent tested the NEW VLTOR so I cant vote.

I do have a SOPMOD wich I will never give up

I also have the VLTOR OLDER MODEL, SOPMOD is better than my VLTOR old model

Is it Fair to compare a SOPMOD to a NEW TELESTOCK?

I mean the SOPMOD has Been out for a LONG TIME.

Some even COPY the SOPMOD
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:33:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rosenrot:

I think the WHOLE AR15 is UGLY

but I do like to shoot them
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:29:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:32:54 AM EDT
emod. just ordered one in fact!

LMT pricing is insane.

(especially for a stock they didn't design acc to arfkom lore)
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:04:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2007 11:04:48 AM EDT by olds442tyguy]
E-MOD on the principle that it probably costs Vltor ten times as much to make the E-MOD than it costs LMT to make the SOPMOD. You get a similar cheek weld and more features from a company that isn't trying to turn a 400% profit off you*.

*Yes, that was a blanket statement and I'm bitter at the excruciatingly excessive pricing of the SOPMOD.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:58:06 AM EDT
I'm pretty sure I will go with the Vltor E Mod. Thanks Everyone!
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:26:54 PM EDT
Emod. The SOPMOD is better than the original VLTOR stock, but the Emod is better than both. My understanding is that LMT has to pay a hefty licensing fee to sell the SOPMOD, which contributes substantially to the price.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:57:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2007 7:57:25 PM EDT by BushmasterGuy77]

Originally Posted By Sparky315:
Emod. The SOPMOD is better than the original VLTOR stock, but the Emod is better than both. My understanding is that LMT has to pay a hefty licensing fee to sell the SOPMOD, which contributes substantially to the price.

I ordered a SunDevil Lower, FDE Tango Down Grip and FDE E-Mod Stock. Yet another AR15 Project... I am so screwed, considering I am on my 4th AR now and I still have plans for others!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:53:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2007 3:55:47 AM EDT by Duffy]
The EMOD is slightly wider and decidedly longer than the SOPMOD. I was surprised when I shouldered my rifle equipped with the EMOD so I took a caliper to it and measured it. The biggest improvements are:

1. Angled butt pad, and angled toe. If you shoot like I do, using only the toe of the stock tucked into the shoulder pocket, the angled butt pad and toe seem like small gestures but they are amazing.

2. Reinforced latch hole. From what I heard, of all the carbine stocks drop tested recently by someone in the industry, the EMOD was the only one that survived. It also has a strike plate.

What I don't like is the release latch and the clubfoot configuration. I wish they'd make a version without the clubfoot and additional storage. The latch flexes when pressed, I modified mine with a standard release latch, but put the butterfly latch back later to keep it original.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:18:13 AM EDT
Duffy,

What is the weight of the E-Mod compared to the standard collapsible Clubfoot stock?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:44:07 AM EDT
I dunno Jimbo, I don't have a Vltor clubfoot stock or a scale, but it is perceptibly heavier. Wider, longer, strike plate, butt pad, etc.

Compared to my Colt ribbed M4 stock, LMT SOPMOD feels heavy, the EMOD is heavier than the SOPMOD.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:55:10 AM EDT
Thanks for the Review and the pictures Duffy. I do shoot with the lower end of the stock on my shoulder as well. Should be here some time next week.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:01:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2007 7:02:40 AM EDT by Yojimbo]

Originally Posted By Duffy:
I dunno Jimbo, I don't have a Vltor clubfoot stock or a scale, but it is perceptibly heavier. Wider, longer, strike plate, butt pad, etc.

Compared to my Colt ribbed M4 stock, LMT SOPMOD feels heavy, the EMOD is heavier than the SOPMOD.

Thanks Duffy, I will probably be using an EMOD in a build I'm planning which will be using Denny's Operator barrel and a 12" rail.

I want to use a heavier collapsible stock to counter balance the extra weight up front and it looks like the EMOD will accomplish this.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:23:35 AM EDT
I'm very happy with my EMOD. It's very comfortable and built to take a beating. It's weight helps balance a front heavy M4gery. Locks up solid.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:16:06 AM EDT

Another satisfied customer here.

The Vltor site list the weight of the EMOD at 14 oz but I weighed mine on two postal scales and both scales indicated 13.8 oz.

I prefer my new EMOD stock from my old club foot Modstock because it fits tighter, the new stock have an added tensioned pad forward of the locking pin which makes a tighter fit.

Ref: EMOD Vltor site link
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:23:45 AM EDT
Looks like they COPIED the SOPMOD

I wish I never bought my old VLTOR Model!

Much rather have the Newer type!

I wonder if LMT will ever UPDATE the SOPMOD
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:13:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rosenrot:

+1 on that. Sopmods are the only collapsible stocks I buy.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:35:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2007 2:40:19 PM EDT by WorstCaseScenario]
SOPMOD. Personal preference, really. I don't always shave, and the EMOD sometimes catches my whiskers. Also I like the SOPMOD buttpad MUCH better.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the EMOD, but you asked.

ETA: Duffy, nice pics. That helps.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:25:41 PM EDT
Between the two, it is my opinion the Vltor is the more advanced design. Back in the days when Crane stocks were $500 and up, made of fairly soft material and difficult to find, the Vltor mod-stock was a perfect alternative, everything else was same old, the then new ribbed Colt stock and its commercial copies were longer and had a larger, angled butt pad, their cheekweld was slightly better but disappointing .

Did Vltor copy Crane? I'd say Vltor's EMOD, even the older mod-stock, have more design features than the LMT. Built-in QD sling attachment point on both sides, the battery compartments are better, whereas LMT uses tubes inside the stock (makes one go ), Vltor's design does away with the unnecessary extra parts, the improved cheek piece IS the storage compartment.

The reinforced area around the latch hole is great too, it'll do a great deal to minimize elongation of the latch hole if you use the stock to strike someone, or windows, or the ground when clearing a jam.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:37:52 PM EDT
The SOPMOD stock is better than the standard M4 stock, but not close to worth its price. It was good for its time when it came out, but something better has come along since. Even the standard Mod-stocks are better feature-wise, lock up just as tightly, and are easier to use- why should you have to remove a stock to get to the tubes, and what's inside?

Not that the SOPMOD is pure garbage, I just don't see its worth vis-a-vis VLTOR, standard or E-mod.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:55:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2007 6:57:44 PM EDT by Duffy]
Yep, though I have far more LMT SOPMOD than Vltor, Vltor got it beat the first time around in terms of user friendliness and features, with the EMOD, the list just got longer. The SOPMOD has no native QD sling attachment, the storage compartment can use some improvement. The removal butt pad...can someone tell me why it's removable? I don't think I've ever seen a SOPMOD stock with it removed.

While Vltor continues to innovate and improve, the LMT SOPMOD has stood still from its Crane days (adding a new color doesn't qualify ).

This time around, the SOPMOD stock can borrow some features from Vltor. Add a QD sling attachment on the stock, change the angle of the butt pad, modify the storage compartment so we don't have to remove the stock to access the items stored within, reinforce the latch hole.....

I think I just described the EMOD
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:59:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:00:18 AM EDT
Is the Emod as durable/tight fitting as a stock like the Magpul CTR?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:04:54 AM EDT
Is the VLTOR FTE color a better match than the SOPMOD appears to be to the larue FTE flip up sights,FTE battery housing of 553 EO-tech,and FTE forearm rail covers?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:56:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 2:58:21 PM EDT by BushmasterGuy77]

Originally Posted By girard:
Is the VLTOR FTE color a better match than the SOPMOD appears to be to the larue FTE flip up sights,FTE battery housing of 553 EO-tech,and FTE forearm rail covers?

The FDE that VLTOR uses matches Tango Down's FDE (Battle Grip, Vertical Forward Grip and Covers) and Troy's FDE as well. I guess by Larue Flip up sights you must mean Troy's.

The SOPMOD's color is a better match to MagPul's FDE...

I am guessing that the color that the Eotech 553 uses is like that of VLTOR's/Troy's/TD's.

Nathan
Top Top